• NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Duck!

ok, i was weak during a shopping trip & picked up some stir fry duck pieces, all high quality (& overly expensive yet tasty-looking) stuff.

any ideas for how i can combine with something in my kitchen? i have general staples (rice, pasta, noodles), a very limited amount of veg (i.e. frozen peppers, some garlic & some spring onions), some lemons, and most of the spices anyone could ever ask for.

oh, and there's tinned chopped tomatos somewhere too

and some fresh tarragon i picked up at someone's suggestion - and i have NO idea how to use that stuff

Thanks
    Mix up some chinese five spice with a boit of dark soy sauce, vinegar and water and marinate the duck in this for at least half an hour, or preferably over night.

Drain off and then stir fry, then remove from the wok and do the veg for the stir fry.

When the veg is almost done, add in the marinade from the duck and any juice from the cooked duck, toss well and reduce so it just coats the veg, then toss the duck back in to warm through.

If you get whole breast in the future, cut the skin off, shred it up and stir fry that in a dry wok... it goes beautifully cripsy, almost like crispy bacon, and you get some loverly fat to do the rest of your stir fry in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Or try this....Szechuan Hot-Fried Crispy Duck (adapted from Kenneth Lo's 'Encyclopedia of Regional Chinese Cooking'). For about 8oz of duck.
    Beat two eggs and whisk in enough cornflour to make a thickish batter (thick cream consistency). It'll take about 2 oz. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Put your duck pieces in the batter.
    Clean a medium sized carrot and cut across into thin discs.
    Heat about a pint of oil (eg groundnut) in a wok and when very hot (piece of bread browns in a few seconds) fry the duck pieces 3 or 4 at a time until crispy - they'll take just a couple of minutes. Drain on kitchen roll & keep warm. Fry the carrots (fried carrots..yes!) the same way.
    Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of oil then add (all in one go):
    1 finely chopped spring onion
    1 finely chopped clove of garlic
    1 finely chopped red-chilli
    2 tablespoon sugar (or was it 1 tablespoon? dammit, I can't remember!)
    2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce

Allow this to bubble up then bung the duck and carrots in the sauce, stir it around and turn out onto a warm serving dish. Garnish with some chopped coriander and spring onions.

Works really well with beef or pork too.
    Last edited by Ceefer; 07-01-2004 at 12:52 AM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thread Information