Thread: Poached Eggs

only the finest beef
    Thanks

Poached Eggs

Whats the best way of doing poached eggs without them going all stringy and all over place?

I don't have one of those poaching thingys - so is it best to use a saucepan or a frying pan?

Thanks
    Use a wide pan at least two inches in depth. Something the size of a frying pan, but deep.

Fill three quarters deep with water and add 2 tablespoons of either vinegar or lemon juice. This helps the egg white to set faster.

Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.

Now reduce the heat until the water is *just* simmering, where there are a few bubbles slowly rising up the side of the pan.

To avoid scalding your fingers, break the egg into a small glass, then pour the egg into the water holding the glass as close to the surface as possible.

Allow the egg to sit in the water for one minute, then very carefully, with a slotted spoon, turn the egg over. This helps give is a nice shape and it won't look like a poached 'fried' egg.

Cook for a another minute or so, then remove with the slotted spoon. Press a bit of kitchen towel onto the bottom of the spoon to remove excess water and then serve.

If you're doing a lot of eggs, start putting the eggs in next to the pan handle and work your way round... that way its easy to remember which egg has been in the longest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Not wishing to contradict Deckard (by the looks of this forum he knows what he's talking about) but I had a go at Eggs Bennedict (yum ) today so you you might like to give this method a try.

Fill a pan with boiling water (at least an inch deep). Wait until it starts to simmer and then break the egg into it. Cook for 1min over a moderate heat (no lid) . Then remove the pan from the heat and leave the egg there for 10mins. Then take it out.

Came out quite nicely too

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lujan
    Not wishing to contradict Deckard (by the looks of this forum he knows what he's talking about) but I had a go at Eggs Bennedict (yum ) today so you you might like to give this method a try.

Fill a pan with boiling water (at least an inch deep). Wait until it starts to simmer and then break the egg into it. Cook for 1min over a moderate heat (no lid) . Then remove the pan from the heat and leave the egg there for 10mins. Then take it out.

Doesn't that mean that the centres will be hard though (rather than runny).

I try to pretend I'm having healthy fried eggs (and then have bacon and sausage et al for brekkie)

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not wishing to contradict Deckard (by the looks of this forum he knows what he's talking about)
    Funny what 16 years as a pro chef does to you

Thanks

Yeah, that'd do it too.

I'd say that ten minutesmight be a little long, but if you've tried it and that's what works for you, then fair play.

That's the thing about cooking, as the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

(but only one way to pluck a chicken )
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    Doesn't that mean that the centres will be hard though (rather than runny).
    Yes, quite hard. Depends how you like them. I'll try for less than 10mins next time to see if it comes out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidrainy
    Funny what 16 years as a pro chef does to you
    Ahhhh, ooops lol

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    I'd say that ten minutes might be a little long..
    Maybe just a tad

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    best thing I found is to add vinegar and soon as the waters boiling stir the water vigarously and while the water is in a whirlpool effect, pour the egg into the middle. This will keep the egg central and also help stop it going stringy.

Lee

Thread Information