Thread: Quick question- dented tins

Thanks

Quick question- dented tins

Dented tins- are they safe? I read a while ago that they're bad because the tin coating on the inside of the can splits and allows the food to touch the steel, which then rusts. Is that still true? I'd imagine the coating is so thin now that it'd flex rather than split.

The reason I ask is that I've just got back from shopping at Tesco's.....Tesco's bin that is. It's excellent value, I'd happily shop there again.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    The general rule is don't eat food form a dented tin. This is because there is a chance that the seal of the tin might be broken and either bacteria will have entered the tin, or oxygen may get into the tin, allowing bacteria already in the tin to start to multiply. Another reason is that even if the food was properly canned and has remained sterile, oxygen entering the tin will cause the food to spoil. Very very rarely you might find a tin which has 'blown' this could indicate the presence of botulism causing bacteria.

In real life though, a small dent is more than likely OK, though something heavily mangled should be left well alone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    O.K., thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure none of the tins I have have punctured, I left the seriously damaged ones behind. Stuff like tinned tomatoes I'm not really that worried about anyway 'cos they're going to be boiled for ages in a bolognaise or chilli. I'll be a bit more careful with the hot dogs and tinned fruit I found.

I found some great stuff in that bin, including a 5KG bag of Basmati rice with one tiny tear in it. SCORE! No more crappy Value rice for me.

Thread Information