Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My microwave is being sold soon, I suggest you all do the same!!

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks

My microwave is being sold soon, I suggest you all do the same!!

I dunno where it was before and I can no longer find the thread but I remember once mentioning to you guys and Deckard in particular was interested in finding out more information on the subject, well here is a link.
    It is REALLY scary stuff.

http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

Am not using mine again and I am going to start asking in restaurants if they use a microwave.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks
    I have NEVER EVER had a microwave and never ever will!!!

Dont wanna insult or upset peeps, but it really has no place in a "cooks" kitchen.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Thanks
    not convinced on the source tbh

when the BMA acknolwdges it I'll flog my microwave
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    well to be honest I never really use it cept for reheating maybe once a month, you cant 'cook' with them.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Moby I heard this one before from a guy here at work who studied in germany in about 1983 he was doing his thesis and his mate was too. His mates thesis was on the effect on the body of microwaved food, this was about the time they were first being promoted, his work was bought and buried by "a large multinational microwave maker" and has not seen the light of day since. This is the first "evidence" I have seen to confirm what was to me up to now an urban myth, I believe it now.
    You also have to have some idea how waves work too, it is not unfeasible.
    Last edited by Blub2k; 30-04-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: not to cause a libel case
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Thanks
    Theres a lot of difference between a blood transfusion of microwaved blood and eating microwaved food.

A website which uses this tripe in the first paragraph loses all credibility, it's distorting facts in order to be alarmist.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    yep, skimming that, it's alarmist lies.

the way that microwave ovens work is understood. you can't say "omg! irradiation of food is unknown in nature! they're totally different, but they're both UNKNOWN IN NATURE!!?!?!lol!" and expect people to take you seriously. that & the spelling & grammar is a mess in a supposedly serious report.

microwave radiation is dangerous, quite simply. any concentrated electromagnetic radiation is. a microwave overn fires microwaves from a gun towards a spinning "stirrer" which sends them flying about inside the microwave at random. the waves happen to pass a lot of energy to water molecules, which translates to heat energy (warming the food, and turning a lot of water to steam). the radiation, once it's used, is gone - it's been transferred to heat. some other molecules may be affected by the radiation - such as some plastics, some nutrients, but the rules are fairly clear on what is & isn't safe to put in there - e.g. microwaving cling film is BAD.

notice that the site with the "report" is a company selling voodoo "intestinal cleaning" pills? honestly, quit letting people pump you full of fear, allow rational thought to keep control.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    serious site, and not full of bull?

*cough*

Thanks
    Being alarmist to grab your attention in the first paragraph of an article is hardly a rare thing and I wouldn't say that it make the source unreliable.

Having said that I would only trust a very high up source on this one as it needs alot of research.

I will still be microwaving my sunday roast every week when I get back from pub

Thanks
    Hmmm... dubious at best.

The problem with the studies is that there is no mention of a control group. So who is to say that microwaving food is the sole reason for increased cholesterol etc? Surely that can be attributed to the type of food being eaten, in fact, it HAS to be, as a cholesterol free food stuff wouldn't give an increase, no matter how it was cooked... unless the author is trying to imply that microwaves create cholesterol???

And talking about the damage that a microwave can do the body... that's spot on, but only if you have a faulty microwave. An electrician can check the seals on your microwave with a detector, so if you're worried, get one in to check the oven out.

I agree that warming babies' bottles is dodgy in a microwave, for the same reasons of risking burning the baby. I also agree that microwaving can alter the milk too... but this is not due to the microwaves themselves, but the intensity of the heat. Look on the back of any formula packet and it says NOT to over heat as this affects the milk.

The same goes for warming blood in the microwave... at 63 degrees, proteins de-nature, (the way that an egg white sets as it cooks is de-naturing). Microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate very rapidly, causing heat. Heat causes expansion and so a living thing, such as blood will be harmed by microwaving. The individual blood cells would have burst, the blood would be useless.. so it's not surprising the patient died.

I'm also a little unsure of the statement "microwaving causes ...... new life forms called radiolytic compounds. These are mutations that are unknown in the natural world." Sorry... but that's is pretty much unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    microwaves are evil, buy our ear candles!

http://www.relfe.com/ear_candles.html

BEWARE of the new scam: Some suppliers call their candles "Beeswax ear candles" and then make them 100% of paraffin. Ours are 50% high quality beeswax and 50% cheese-grade paraffin.

Thanks
    Well I'm still gonna use mine every day, after all there are many worse thing out there that can do you harm. F**k it.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Microwaving food does alter it, in a simmilar way to how boiling vegetables remvoes vitamins etc.

Personally i think this is a load of horse sheet. Coincidentally, my microwave gave up the ghost an hour or so ago when i was warming my cottage pie

Thanks
    Very very rarely use a microwave. Wouldnt have one except that it came with the apartment. Anyway i dont know how to use it properly always dry the food out .

I have to say the article looks dodgy alright but as far as I can see the Soviet Union did ban microwaves for a while. So maybe there is something in it?

Anyway i dont know why any of you would consider using one. As far as i can see it produces pretty dubious tasting results on anything but liquids and prepacked microwave meals . I hate the effect it produces and have never felt any need for it. I know people will say that it is good for reheating things but IMHO you can achieve better effects with a few more minutes in a proper oven.

ON top of this there is the undeniable possibility of leaking radiation. If it can cook food it can cook us and probably slowly is.

Thanks
    lol, the warming powers of microwaves were discovered when testing it as a very short wavelength transmitter. One of the scientists stood on front of a transmitter to adjust something, no realising it was on, and when he stood back he noticed that a chocolate bar in his pocket had melted.

A leaking microwave is a dangerous thing, which is why, if you're worried, you should get and electricion to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Yeah talking of electricians checking microwaves. A friend of mine knew somone who did this and he had some king of radiation counter thing to check for leakage. Seemingly when if you tried this instrument on a working mobile close up it would go off the scale altogether .

So if i were you i'd put my mobile in the microwave and throw the whole lot out the window .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information