Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotpot research... please answer.

Thanks

Exclamation Hotpot research... please answer.

Guys, I'm looking at ways to make the Hotpot more of what YOU want.

So, I need a few questions answering, shouldn't take more than few minutes of your time and will give me an idea of what you want.

I suggest copying the questions into a reply and filling them in, then posting into this thread.

PLEASE keep discussion OUT of this thread... but DO feel free to start up a discussion thread for any pertinent points you wanna chinwag about, hmm-k?

Ready? Then we'll begin..

1) How often to you visit the Hotpot?

2) How often do you view the recipe in the sticky?

3) How often do you view the Cookbook sub-forum?

4) Name ONE thing you would like added to make the Hotpot more to your liking:

5) Are the Cookbook recipes suitable to your needs. (if no, please say why)

6) What do you think would make people visit the Hotpot either more frequently, or in greater numbers?

7) Would you like to see more discussion of topical food subjects such as farmed salmon health problems or mercury levels in game fish? (these are purely examples, bring up your own if you wish)

8) Would you like more tutorial type threads with pictures of how to do things? (if yes, please give examples)

9) What do you use the Cookery book for? (inspiration? ideas? specific recipes?)

10) Is the Cookery book sub-forum easy to navigate and logically laid out?

Last one... and an honest answer please....

11) In general terms, how do you think the Hotpot could be made better?

Thanks for taking the time to fill this in peeps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    Guys, I'm looking at ways to make the Hotpot more of what YOU want.

So, I need a few questions answering, shouldn't take more than few minutes of your time and will give me an idea of what you want.

I suggest copying the questions into a reply and filling them in, then posting into this thread.

PLEASE keep discussion OUT of this thread... but DO feel free to start up a discussion thread for any pertinent points you wanna chinwag about, hmm-k?

Ready? Then we'll begin..

About once a week maybe. Haven't tried much from it yet though, I'm not very adventurous with new recipes!

I hadn't noticed there was one there! Oops..

Whenever I look at the hotpot, and if Im looking for new ideas to contemplate trying.

General cookery tips maybe?

Well, sometimes use more spices and stuff than I have. As I haven't tried many, this may not be appropriate, but many cookbooks say 'suitable for 4 people' and then only really feed two people.

6) What do you think would make people visit the Hotpot either more frequently, or in greater numbers?
    Well, for me, easier, quicker recipes, or more of a variety of levels of culinary skill required meals. But then I guess the meals you put up are slightly more complicated because theyre nice... you can't win!

7) Would you like to see more discussion of topical food subjects such as farmed salmon health problems or mercury levels in game fish? (these are purely examples, bring up your own if you wish)
    Probably not, personally, to be honest, but others may well be.

8) Would you like more tutorial type threads with pictures of how to do things? (if yes, please give examples)
    Yes, definitely would be great. Things like techniques in chinese cookery maybe.

9) What do you use the Cookery book for? (inspiration? ideas? specific recipes?)
    Well, a bit of all. I look at recipes, sometimes they make me think, sometimes I just simplify them for myself.

Yes, it is.

I think many people think of it as your thing, so not many people post recipes, ideas, and such in the cookbook. Maybe that could be encouraged more?

Thats fine I'm not necessarily the best person for opinions though, as Im just a lazy student who wants to be able to cook very nice food with very minimal effort

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

every time i visit hexus (ie: most days)

depends on the recipe - i always check what it is, but only read the recipe if its something i'd like to know more about (eg - i don't have a sweet tooth at all, so i don't read the recipe if its a sweet item)

approx once every week / 10 days...depends when i'm going shopping since i like to check if there's anything i like the sound of that requires ingredients that i don't have

yes, i've no probs with them, obvioulsy personal taste means i'm not going to like all of them but there's a suitable variety of easy to follow recipies to cover anything from tuesday night's tea to a meal for a special occasion & the fact that they've been posted (and obviously tried & tested) by real people with whom you converse frequently on the forums makes them...i dunno...a bit more "accessable" - with no disrespect to anyone there aren't that many ppl with professional catering skills here so its a case of "well, if they can do it, i'll give it a try"

human nature being what it is....free stuff being given away!
    despite not entering due to not being able to think of anything suitable in time, i thought the competitions were a good idea & would like to see them continue (in the hope that one day i'll think of something in time!)

what about a "ready steady cook" type competition, where 1 member suggests the ingredients & ppl can think up recipes & post the results (with pics) doesn't have to be a prize involved since i'm sure some ppl would do it for fun - i know i would

topical recipes (with tutorial pictures?)
    euro 2004 is coming, how about "10 things that are easy to cook when you're bladdered"

yes, but possibly as another sub-forum since these sort of topics may be very similar to question time threads & whilst i feel everyone should take an interest in such topics, i can imagine not everyone would wish to, and this may detract from the overall feel of the forum "as is" (which would be a shame imho since i think it works well as it is)

how about some basic food hygene info - interesting (well, i think it is) and potentially life saving. i used to teach this & i could possibly find my old notes

yes - technical skill things such as preparing cuts of meat or fish
    topical eg - "how to butterfly a leg of lamb"
    (i'm sure with time i could think of many other egs, but i'm sure you get the idea)

all of the above

i think so - its in keeping with the layout of the rest of the forums & everything is suitably labelled

this is very difficult to answer since as i'm sure my previous answers indicate, i have no problems at all with the current format / content - i beleive that some of the suggestions made in this questionnaire (eg - discussion of food related issues, demo / tutorial threads) would be welcome additions, but in general i feel the hotpot has a good feel to it as it currently is - as always more visitors would (excuse the cooking-related pun) "spice up" proceedings

hope this is ok - i'll re-read this in the morn & if i think of anything to add i'll edit
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    1) How often to you visit the Hotpot? Usually if there's a new post (subscribed )

2) How often do you view the recipe in the sticky? When it catches my eye, or if I need some inspiration...

3) How often do you view the Cookbook sub-forum? I havent yet

4) Name ONE thing you would like added to make the Hotpot more to your liking: More garlic??

5) Are the Cookbook recipes suitable to your needs. (if no, please say why) They would be if I weren't such a nub in the kitchen

6) What do you think would make people visit the Hotpot either more frequently, or in greater numbers? no idea sorry

7) Would you like to see more discussion of topical food subjects such as farmed salmon health problems or mercury levels in game fish? (these are purely examples, bring up your own if you wish) Think it's fine the way it is atm actually - plenty of discusson range as far as I can see..

8) Would you like more tutorial type threads with pictures of how to do things? (if yes, please give examples) Yes please... but simple things, like how to sharpen a knife properly.... what do you mean when you say the onions are a "golden" colour (I can never acheive this.. all I get is off brown )

9) What do you use the Cookery book for? (inspiration? ideas? specific recipes?) Haven't actually looked in there yet

10) Is the Cookery book sub-forum easy to navigate and logically laid out? Seems to be... I could find a chicken dish fairly easily...

11) In general terms, how do you think the Hotpot could be made better? Gawd knows.... but then that's why I'm not running a forum I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks

During the week when at work with net access then three times a day at least.

Every time one is put up.

Whenever a new recipe is posted.

A possibility to give feedback on the recipes that we have tried.

I have cooked a number of things from the cookbook and the stuff is generally cool enough, if you like cooking it is fine.

Hmmm, good question that, it is a niche hobby to an extent and some people will always be happy with their tins and microwaves. Not sure what would bring in more people, sorry.

I think that this facility is already there, I think that if you spcifically get into the politics of food that you are then crossing over with question time. At the moment if someone wants to they can start their own thread on similar subjects.

I think it would be cool enough, soon as I get the web I am gonna do one with pics

All three.

Yep.

feedback on the cookery book recipes.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    Thanks for the answers so far guys. Keep 'em coming!

I AM listening and taking what actions I can at this stage... hence a simpler recipe today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Thats cool - that looks like the sort of recipe Id defnitely give a go! In fact, I may well cook that this weekend...

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Everyday!!

Umm, depends what it is - if I like the sound of it I'll give it a nose.

Not very often TBH, as Im only cooking for me usually. If I had to do something special I'd deffo use it. (And then ring you to make sure I'd done it right!!)

Dunno, maybe you could have a standard recipe type format thingy to fill in or something? Samples of the recipes would be good... can you manage that??

Yes because I only look at recipes if Im going to do something a bit different - I usually only cook easy stuff in the week for myself. Otherwise I come round yours and you cook up something yummy for me!!

Hmm... tough one! Maybe if you had a tips section or something like that?
    Or a program for how to download ready-cooked meals from your computer?

Yes - we like a good debate about these things!

Yes! Its quite good to see how these things are done, even if its something Im never likely to do myself. I liked the thread you did about how to fillet a salmon - very good!

Inspiration/ideas and to see what ur up to!!

IMHO - yes!

I think a tip/tricks section would be very good (if there is already one I havent seen it!) as it would be good to know the simple things you could do to spice up the normal things we cook.
    Oh and also my winning recipe posted somewhere would be good too!
    (Are you and David still arguing about who's going to put the photos in??)

Hope it helps!
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    Every time im on hexus so usually twice a day normally i mostly read

I havnt

Havnt done this either

Pics of Nigella no really some idea that are maybe a little more dumbed down i couldnt hope to attempt some of the stuff. My student stomach has grwon accustomed to roasta and beans on toast, apart from junk food little else enters the equation.

5) Are the Cookbook recipes suitable to your needs. (if no, please say why) see above

More threads, i know im a hypocrite with that comment

Im quite indifferent really on this. I probably wouldnt participate because there seem to be a great deal of scare-mongering relating to what we consume nowadays.

Im just interested in a dramatically dfferent subject matter in truth. When i tend to cook myself its usually fairly simple though not always beans on toast.

i think it is, yes

See 4

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    BTW Deck question 4 kinda overlaps with 11, I found it hard to repeat myself
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    i have an idea for a feature deck, check your pm's

Thanks
    daily

every other day or so

not sure - I browse by new posts rather than by forum

more piccies - they turn a regular recepie into somethign salivating !

I dont always have the ingredients , and I dont go shopping enouhg to get them , but thats coz I'm pants

"masterclasses" ?

it woudl be nice to make people think about their food

knifework mainly

all of the above !

yep

not sure - its pretty good as it is !
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

Talking

Weekly if not more often

Occasionally - only if it's something I feel like cooking

Weekly - generally weekends when I've got time to cook properly

Easier method of posting recipes - probably drop them straight into the relevant section to be sorted later.

Most often not - I'm a carnivore with little imagination.

Tutorial sections going from basics to more advanced tasks - something that seems to have been removed from many other cooking resources.

Not really - I like cooking and eating, rather than thinking.

Yes - filleting, boning, differences between different types of presentation of veggies, dislocating things etc... If I could remember to get my camera out when cooking I'd do some myself.

Ideas, concepts - generally take what's there and modify to suit my taste

Maybe seperation by style rather than cotent - i.e. subsections based on casserole, stew, salad, grill, bbq etc

Mainly tutorials, and ability to contribute and rate each others recipes more easily.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Weeklyish

Rarely

Fortnightly

More basics, especially sauces for pasta, salad etc

Like many opeople i get in from work and want to cook for me and my wife. Something filling, quick and easy. A lot of the receipes appear to be a bit complex, but the chicken one thats in the sticky will be tried next week, nice simple and quick, hopefully tasty.

Yep tutorials

Yes. Maybe things like dietry requirements, places to get good grub cheap (ie from the farmer)

Yes, I oculd do one on preparing game at some point. I can skin, gut etc most game.

Gts me hinking, can string together things from many sources

Pretty good, maybe a seperate bit for sauce (not rude or HP), as they can be used in a variety of dishes. Or maybe a section on basics, that are used for many things

More dishes that are quick easy and can be made using stuff most people have laying around.

Overall a gret resource cheers
    Jon

Thanks
    Cocktail subforum

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    I'm not gonna answer it in the same way...but thats me.

I view it everyday.
    I use the Cook Book Subforum weekly BUT I use it mainly for OTHER PEOPLE to see....so if anyone asks me about a dish or mentions summit they enjoyed at the weekend I look it up

I'd like a few "rapid lunch time" specials....

15 minutes inc prep...lunch time jobbos that I KNOW you can do...
    I'd suggest a whole week devoted to it...1 per day...simple stuff with a twist

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information