Thread: Wine...Hmmmm.

Thanks

Wine...Hmmmm.

So, in the continuous quest to improve the service Hexus provides to you all, I have just returned from the first stage of gaining a WSET Diploma in Wines, Spirits and other Alcoholic Beverages.

Once I gain the Diploma, I'll have an internationally recognised qualification, which, superbly, is rather sort after within the industry not only on the retail and trade fronts, but also within the wine making industry itself.

The Level 2 Intermediate Certificate, the course I've just completed, is essentially a basic grounding in all types of wines, spirits and beverages across the globe. It doesn't focus on any one wine in particular, but concentrates more on the styles of wines and the many factors which affect the style of wines in different areas.

The amount of information you have to absorb is truly mind boggling! That's not to say that it's impossible to understand, because people do... I did. But even if you just scratch the surface you open up a massive can of worms. If you're even remotely interested in wine though, you'll find it fascinating.

Now, if you say to someone that you've just been on a three day residential wine tasting course, they assume its just a jolly... a skive off work with free booze thrown in. The truth is very different.

We started at 9am sharp on day one and were learning HOW to taste wines by 10.30am, making notes as we went. By midday we had covered basic wine production methods (which are the same processes everywhere), we had a 20 minute lunch break and then ploughed into the French wine regions.

This involved learning about:
    Each of the 8 different regions
    Each of the various districts in each region, (up to 10 districts in the case of Bordeaux)
    The grapes grown in each district and their qualities
    The soils for each region and district
    The annual weather conditions for each region
    The climate for each region
    The vine growing method used in each region or district
    The peculiarities to the wine making method specific to each district.

Now, when you consider that just one topic there, egg. climate has so many variables that effect how the grape grows and we have to learn the whys and wherefores of it all, you start to get an idea of just how much work is involved.

I filled one standard A4 refill pad in three days with my notes for the entire course AND ran my favourite rollerball out of ink!

Needless to say the course needed serious amounts of concentration, just to keep on top of the information being given and fitting it in to what I had learnt previously so it made sense. Once you get a decent understanding of HOW wine is made, HOW a vine produces grapes and HOW the grape develops its flavour, then the steps the wine producers take to get a wine how they want it all seem a lot more logical. The tricky part is that each region does things just a little differently... which can catch you out at times.

Theres so much info that we carried on into dinner with the wine and then had to continue afterwards too, finally finishing at 10.45pm. We had tasted 36 different wines and sampled 18 with dinner to see the effect on the wine flavour with food.

Day two started at 8.30am and we covered the remaining half of France we didn't cover the first day, the moved on to Spain, Portugal and Italy, finishing with England, Wales, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey and Cyprus. Again, we went right through dinner, finishing just after 11pm having tasted 9 French wines, 6 Spanish, 6 Portuguese, 8 Italian, 3 English, 1 Welsh, 4 German and 2 wines from each of the other countries as well and 2 Champagnes and 3 sparkling wines... the sparkling wines signalling a move into the rest of the world on day three.

8am start and we go off around the world with a look at South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Canada and USA. We only do a few wines from each country, focusing on their most produced white or red before heading back to France for a close look at the Champagne region and learn about the FOUR different ways Champagne can be made, sampling examples of each.

Next, after a working lunch covering cider productions we learn the basics of lager and ale production, then we look at liqueur or fortified wines such as Sherry and Port and then take a quick run around the world with Spirits such as Gin, Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, Calvados and Kirsch... before finally finishing with low and non-alcohol drinks.

We have a proper coffee break , a spot of revision and then an hour long exam to attain the intermediate certificate.

I have to say I enjoyed it immensely, I've not found a subject so interesting or engrossing for a long time and the three to four week wait for the results is gonna be hell.

Keep an eye out here though, cos I'm sure as hell gonna be putting my new knowledge into action!

Anyway, I am shattered, I'm all wined out and I'm heading to bed, thankful that I made it through a very gruelling course
    Last edited by Nick; 09-07-2004 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Err, did you drink all that wine, or just swill it round? If you drank it that is a lot of booze, although good no doubt. Me personally i go for a shiraz that could go 10 rounds with tyson, or my other fave at the moment is a good medoc. Expecting a delivery from majestic soon. Oh what a fine place.
    Not around too often!

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Nice one Deckard, have been interested in Somellier myself at times, would be interested in doing a similar course.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    During the class it was best to use the spitoon or otherwise you'd be smashed before 11am and unable to make any notes.

At dinner we generally swallowed, but I had some really weird meals.... such as roasted lamb with redcurrant sauce AND salmon with asparagus sauce... so I had two differing foods to drink with.... me newingtons weren't half playing up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Rob
    Thanks
    Well done mate! I must say that I am rather envious. Will definately be looking forward to your pearls of knowledge on this one.

*edit* LOL, Just noticed your 'location'

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    So now your a bit of wine wizard, can you answer me this?

We does it all taste poop?

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    We does it all taste poop?

Ah well you are so good with computer stuff I suppose you cant know everything
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks

In all seriousness, I've tried cheap reds and whites, and a friend had me sampling some of his expensive stuff, again, reds and whites.

All of it tasted the same to me - Awful.

Maybe I'm just allergic to the stuff?

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    I'll give you a tip that won me over and no amount of study can simplify it more, first start with the premise that you know what a grape tastes like and like their taste, taste a wine and attempt to taste a fresh grape in the after taste. Once you can taste the taste of a fresh grape in the after taste then work from there, you will then go on to be able to build the other flavours on top of that.
    Is simple but it works, eventually you will taste chocolate, tannin (bitter taste like in tea) raspberries, cherries, etc etc,
    try it out you may be surprised.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Thread Information