Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 33 to 46 of 46

Thread: The art of BBQ

  1. #33
    Senior Member AGTDenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    841 times in 547 posts
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Quick discovery from the weekend, which oddly doesn't contain any meat.

    1. Soak some corn cobs with the leaves on in water for an hour.
    2. Chuck on BBQ.
    3.?????
    4. Profit!

    The water steams the corn, the leaves trap the moisture in and prevent the corn from burning and the end result is juicy sweetcorn with a slightly smoky taste.

    Dead easy and goes well as a starter or a side to go with chicken.
    Nice, might have to try this on Sat.

    How long do you keep it on the BBQ, I've never actually cooked corn on the cob before

  2. #34
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Nice, might have to try this on Sat.

    How long do you keep it on the BBQ, I've never actually cooked corn on the cob before
    Treat it like a sausage, keep the grate fairly high from the coals and give it a quarter turn when the leaves on the underside start to char. You can always cheat when you think it's done and peal the leaves away from the end slightly to test. All in probably 15-20 mins.

  3. Received thanks from:

    AGTDenton (27-06-2019)

  4. #35
    Senior Member AGTDenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    841 times in 547 posts
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Treat it like a sausage, keep the grate fairly high from the coals and give it a quarter turn when the leaves on the underside start to char. You can always cheat when you think it's done and peal the leaves away from the end slightly to test. All in probably 15-20 mins.
    I've been thwarted, can't find a single supermarket with the leaves on, all in plastic packaging cut into tiny pieces...

  5. #36
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    I've been thwarted, can't find a single supermarket with the leaves on, all in plastic packaging cut into tiny pieces...
    That's disappointing. Have you tried Waitrose as they tend to go a bit posher and leave them on? Or ideally a local grocers.

  6. Received thanks from:

    AGTDenton (29-06-2019)

  7. #37
    Senior Member AGTDenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    841 times in 547 posts
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    That's disappointing. Have you tried Waitrose as they tend to go a bit posher and leave them on? Or ideally a local grocers.
    Thanks Waitrose is the place but of course none left when I get there so at least I now know for next time.
    You'd think posh would be wrapped up on a plinth but now the raw vegetable is gourmet/farmhouse/rustic...
    Sadly no grocers in my area just fake farm shops

  8. #38
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Quick discovery from the weekend, which oddly doesn't contain any meat.

    1. Soak some corn cobs with the leaves on in water for an hour.
    2. Chuck on BBQ.
    3.?????
    4. Profit!

    The water steams the corn, the leaves trap the moisture in and prevent the corn from burning and the end result is juicy sweetcorn with a slightly smoky taste.

    Dead easy and goes well as a starter or a side to go with chicken.
    Sorry for the self quoting and thread necro but now is the ideal time for this as we're right in corn season.

    Also made a soup out of some leftover BBQ chicken, the smoky taste it adds is wonderful.

  9. Received thanks from:

    AGTDenton (31-08-2019)

  10. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,927
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked
    970 times in 714 posts

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Thanks Waitrose is the place but of course none left when I get there so at least I now know for next time.
    You'd think posh would be wrapped up on a plinth but now the raw vegetable is gourmet/farmhouse/rustic...
    Sadly no grocers in my area just fake farm shops
    A bit late to add this, but we're very lucky. A few doors down in the village ftom a superb butcher is the "veg man".

    Interesting guy. A few years ago, he had £200, no job and spotted a small shop the owners were having trouble renting. He bought a very second-hand till, built a few display stands from old bits of spare wood and opened up in that little shop. Quite literally, £200 and a lot of love for his product. So, anyway, he goes around to local farmers pretty much daily, gets a little of this and a little of that, whatever he can but only if it's fresh, local and really good quality.

    His first day he sold out and now, several years later, he's usually got a queue. You never quite know what he'll have, but you do know if he's got it, it'll be good.

    Unemployed = unemployed - 1.

    Great guy. Always got a few moments for a chat, and nobody minds. They might join in and you have a sort-of impromptu village meeting with people you've never seen before, but nobody minds.

    It kinda reminds me of the thousands of tiny, local shops in my youth, before giant supermarkets destroyed them. We always pick him, over supermarkets. His stuff is the next best thing to digging it out of your oen garden or allotment .... wuthout the digging bit.

    In fact, quite a few of his "suppliers" are allotment owners.

  11. Received thanks from:

    AGTDenton (31-08-2019)

  12. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: The art of BBQ

    the people who attach photos!
    I can't decide whether you are devils or angels
    all those photos with food make me happy and jealous an the same time )

  13. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Your BBQ set is amazaing.

  14. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    936
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

    Re: The art of BBQ

    After many summers of debate I have finally decided to stump up for a BBQ!

    I am therefore here to apologise in advance as I have most certainly cancelled summer for the rest of the UK by doing so...

    Hopefully I'll be back on here soon with plenty of pictures and stories!
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

  15. #43
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    After many summers of debate I have finally decided to stump up for a BBQ!

    I am therefore here to apologise in advance as I have most certainly cancelled summer for the rest of the UK by doing so...

    Hopefully I'll be back on here soon with plenty of pictures and stories!
    Which one have you gone for? If you're after a cookbook that shows what can be done I highly recommend this one (not an affiliate link so hopefully not breaking any rules) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meathead-Goldwyn/dp/054401846X

  16. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    936
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Which one have you gone for? If you're after a cookbook that shows what can be done I highly recommend this one (not an affiliate link so hopefully not breaking any rules) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meathead-Goldwyn/dp/054401846X
    It was just a Costco jobbie but it looks like I have jumped the gun massively! I went on to order it after posting this and they've sold out. In fact, it looks like Costco have pulled their entire BBQ range!

    I guess the hunt goes on.

    But thank you for the book recommendation! That'll get ordered when I've actually ordered something!
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

  17. #45
    OwP
    OwP is offline
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    14 times in 14 posts

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    It was just a Costco jobbie but it looks like I have jumped the gun massively! I went on to order it after posting this and they've sold out. In fact, it looks like Costco have pulled their entire BBQ range!

    I guess the hunt goes on.

    But thank you for the book recommendation! That'll get ordered when I've actually ordered something!
    Have a look locally on ebay for a Weber 57 kettle, they tend to sell collection only for around £50. Something like this with the better ash catcher.


    They last for ever and you can get things like upgraded grills, smokersd, rotisserie, etc. I have 2 charcoal webers that are over 15 years old, a gas weber and a ceramic. Bang for buck you cant fault a well priced weber 57. Just make sure the grill is in good condition.

  18. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    936
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

    Re: The art of BBQ

    Quote Originally Posted by OwP View Post
    Have a look locally on ebay for a Weber 57 kettle, they tend to sell collection only for around £50. Something like this with the better ash catcher.

    They last for ever and you can get things like upgraded grills, smokersd, rotisserie, etc. I have 2 charcoal webers that are over 15 years old, a gas weber and a ceramic. Bang for buck you cant fault a well priced weber 57. Just make sure the grill is in good condition.
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye out!

    A bit gutted as I'd already started planning the first use!
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •