Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instant Coffee

Spreadie

Re: Instant Coffee

I buy in roasted beans from Hasbean, and grind them freshly before making a brew. It is a little more time-consuming, so I tend to do it when I have the time to enjoy it.

We also have a pod machine which makes decent enough drinks.

However, as far as instant coffee goes, Nescafe Azera Americano is right up there with expensive pod coffees.

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (22-05-2018),Saracen (22-05-2018)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    Hi Saracen

We meet again! Lol

I'm not disagreeing with anything in your 3:17 post I just wanted to chime in on pods.

I've managed to buy my nespresso compatible pods all at 15p or less each including delivery costs. The machine was again a compatible and was about £25 and came with about 20-30 pods. So that means to make it cost effective you have to use it quite a lot. I've been using 2 pods per cup fairly regularly and have a large stock of pods already (I hope they keep well).

So if the actual machine I got keeps on kicking I think the overall cost is somewhat comparable per coffee (if I used 1 pod as I should ). Just wanted to post that out there.
    Intrresting. Not seen a machine at that price.

It does open up a minefield, though. From "tests" I've seen, not all machines are equal. And I mean for a given pod type, not comparing betwern types. And the criteria was the taste of the coffee.

Then, not everybody doing testing agrees. Some prefer A, some B, etc. Which reinforces my beluef that, well to paraphrase, taste-beauty is in the mouth of the bedrinker. What testers like their coffee to taste like might not be what I like.

So .... buying a pod machine is a bit of a punt, a shot in the dark. How do I ensure, before buying, that I grt the right pod, AND a machine that makes the most of the pod? And that's with a machine that is effectively automatic, plug n go.

In an ideal world, I'd go fully bean to cup. You have far more control, both over beans you buy, and how you use the machine. Trouble is, even given I'm prepared for the substsntial costs of bean to cup, I'm not convinced about the time and experimentation needed to 'drive' it right.

I mean, I was grinding my iwn beans for a drip-filter machine 40+ years ago, and I have a cafetierre too. Sometimes I still use one or t'other, but the 'real' instants, for me are about getting as close as I can, with little more time and effort than pouring near-boiling water into a mug and, optionally deoending on mood, adding milk. Researching and choosing a pod machine is too much like work.

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    For ages, my default has been Carte Noir, but they got bought out by (I think) Dowe Egberts and the brand imagery was comandeered for L'Or... which is a totally different recipe and tastes like buffalo bum.
    I was the same, default Carte Noir for ages, I now have a few jars of L'Or that I'm working through. I thought it was just a name change, and perhaps I'd gotten used to the taste and wasn't enjoying it so much. I reckon you're probably right thinking about it though. The recipe is different, such a shame.

I'm using a Tassimo machine more these days as well, pods aren't cheap, but the Kenco varieties are quite nice.

Thanks

I've only seen and tried one brand (Spanish one most wouldn't be familiar with). Wasn't impressed. Only seen one likely because I've not been looking. Might give it a look if on offer but I'm generally happy with my current coffee selections and I tend to keep a general instant jar on-hand just in case.

I remember thinking the M&S coffee filter things being decent for a cheap, sort of instant option (the ones that come with a plastic filter thing with a 'coffee-bag' inside - put it on top of your cup and pour hot water and it filters). But I didn't stay with them long. I found I went either to 'real' coffee or the normal instant.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    I've only seen and tried one brand (Spanish one most wouldn't be familiar with). Wasn't impressed. Only seen one likely because I've not been looking. Might give it a look if on offer but I'm generally happy with my current coffee selections and I tend to keep a general instant jar on-hand just in case.

I remember thinking the M&S coffee filter things being decent for a cheap, sort of instant option (the ones that come with a plastic filter thing with a 'coffee-bag' inside - put it on top of your cup and pour hot water and it filters). But I didn't stay with them long. I found I went either to 'real' coffee or the normal instant.
    To be fair, finding nice coffee in a Spanish supermarket can be a bit of a trial (yet oddly coffee in cafes is fine).

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rich835 View Post
    I thought it was just a name change, and perhaps I'd gotten used to the taste and wasn't enjoying it so much. I reckon you're probably right thinking about it though. The recipe is different, such a shame.
    It's all true...
    http://gcrmag.com/news/article/lavaz...res-carte-noir

If you care for such things, Farcebook has a CarteNoir page for the brand: https://www.facebook.com/cartenoireuk/
    Looks to be a LOT of angry former-customers, judging from the comments... but also rumours that it will be coming back in 2018.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information