Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Beef Wellington - individual portions

  1. #1
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    35,176
    Thanks
    3,121
    Thanked
    3,171 times in 1,921 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Hi all

    I've eaten this and it was so utterly amazing I think it's worthy of a share



    enjoy

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  2. Received thanks from:

    peterb (29-10-2018)

  3. #2
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,931
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked
    810 times in 672 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Had a bash at this myself just last night.

    Well, I say this.... I did mod the recipe rather a lot.
    Normal onion instead of shallot, no Dijon so had to use wholegrain, chopped spinach instead of watercress and wilted directly in the frying topping... wasn't allowed to use fillet steak as it has to be cooked right through these days, so went for rump done medium-well.
    Also completely forgot to get any prosciutto!

    I'm really cack at folding and sealing the pastry, or doing anything along those lines.
    But it turned out well and it's been requested again at some point.

  4. #3
    The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Looking down & checking on swearing
    Posts
    19,378
    Thanks
    2,892
    Thanked
    3,403 times in 2,693 posts

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    I really enjoyed watching that video (probably the first one I have really warmed to!)

    Great chef - great presenting style and none of that really irritating background music that featured in the early videos.

    Might try that recipe.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  5. Received thanks from:

    Zak33 (30-10-2018)

  6. #4
    HEXUS.timelord. Zak33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I'm a Jessie
    Posts
    35,176
    Thanks
    3,121
    Thanked
    3,171 times in 1,921 posts
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I really enjoyed watching that video (probably the first one I have really warmed to!)

    Great chef - great presenting style and none of that really irritating background music that featured in the early videos.

    Might try that recipe.
    Cranble is trying a very new direction and has guest chefs visit. I'm glad you liked it

    Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

  7. #5
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,931
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked
    810 times in 672 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Cranble is trying a very new direction and has guest chefs visit. I'm glad you liked it
    Can they not afford one who pronounces Prosciutto correctly?

  8. #6
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Had a bash at this myself just last night.

    Well, I say this.... I did mod the recipe rather a lot.
    Normal onion instead of shallot, no Dijon so had to use wholegrain, chopped spinach instead of watercress and wilted directly in the frying topping... wasn't allowed to use fillet steak as it has to be cooked right through these days, so went for rump done medium-well.
    Also completely forgot to get any prosciutto!

    I'm really cack at folding and sealing the pastry, or doing anything along those lines.
    But it turned out well and it's been requested again at some point.
    Here we go again.

    Got a spare room to rent?

  9. #7
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,931
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked
    810 times in 672 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Here we go again.
    Got a spare room to rent?
    Well, I have a friend nearby with a couple of rooms that will soon be available...

    Advantages - Close to Reading town centre (walk, car or bus as great options), public park and shops within 3 minutes slow amble, Sports centre 3½ minutes, central heating, decent internet speeds. You'll also have an on-site car, van and motorcycle mechanic with decades of experience, who also doubles up as a PC fixer-upper with overclocking scores frequently in the top 20 of the scoreboards. Plus, there's now a kitten to play with!

    Disadvantages - Parking occasionally problematic, students live nearby, you're sharing a house with a mechanic and his cats.

  10. #8
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Well, I have a friend nearby with a couple of rooms that will soon be available...

    Advantages - Close to Reading town centre (walk, car or bus as great options), public park and shops within 3 minutes slow amble, Sports centre 3½ minutes, central heating, decent internet speeds. You'll also have an on-site car, van and motorcycle mechanic with decades of experience, who also doubles up as a PC fixer-upper with overclocking scores frequently in the top 20 of the scoreboards. Plus, there's now a kitten to play with!

    Disadvantages - Parking occasionally problematic, students live nearby, you're sharing a house with a mechanic and his cats.
    That's the first time I've seen being close to the centre of Reading being described as an advantage.

  11. #9
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,931
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked
    810 times in 672 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    That's the first time I've seen being close to the centre of Reading being described as an advantage.
    Not everyone has their own vehicle, meaning the only viable route of escape is the train station in town. It also means you're closer to Royal Berks Hospital if you get stabbed.

    But the 'centre' is actually quite big now, so it depends which part of the centre you're in. There's one particular little corner where all the houses are bungalows and it's quiet as the most remote cul-de-sac imaginable... yet it's right round the corner from all the rush hour traffic, the IDR and a lot of nightlife. The downside is that it costs an absolute bomb to live there.

  12. #10
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Well, I have a friend nearby with a couple of rooms that will soon be available...

    Advantages - Close to Reading town centre (walk, car or bus as great options), public park and shops within 3 minutes slow amble, Sports centre 3½ minutes, central heating, decent internet speeds. You'll also have an on-site car, van and motorcycle mechanic with decades of experience, who also doubles up as a PC fixer-upper with overclocking scores frequently in the top 20 of the scoreboards. Plus, there's now a kitten to play with!

    Disadvantages - Parking occasionally problematic, students live nearby, you're sharing a house with a mechanic and his cats.
    Hmmm. Cat allergy.

    Looks like I'll have to cook my own Mini Wellingtons. Hopefully, they won't be tough as old boots.

    Or ... garden shed, maybe?

  13. #11
    MCRN Tachi Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,931
    Thanks
    693
    Thanked
    810 times in 672 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Looks like I'll have to cook my own Mini Wellingtons. Hopefully, they won't be tough as old boots.
    If you can cook a steak to your own liking, they'll be fine. Better than fine if you use good steak.
    Remember to top with prosciutto and get the baking tray proper hot before you place then on. Do this and the rest is piddle-easy!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Or ... garden shed, maybe?
    You would rather move from your comfy house to my freezing cold workshop and have to live your way around a workbench, large bandsaw, motorcycle, mechanics' tools, jewellery bench and assorted stuff, than simply learn how to cook yer own flippin' Wellingtons?

    Ya know, I'm starting to think you might well be that friend I mentioned... Do you own any Krugerrand, perchance?

  14. #12
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Beef Wellington - individual portions

    Oh, I know how to cook them. I just have a PhD in laziness. And you're sound soooo good.

    Agreed on the spinach, by the way. I use a very thin-cut good, local dry-cure bacon rather than faffing about with prosciutto or, arguably better still Iberico. It's an advantage of a really good butcher, in tbat I tell him what I want it for, and he slices to requirement. Oh, and I knock up a nice wild-mushroom pate to cover it in, too.

    Krugerrands? Nope. I is skint. Honest.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •