Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rice - aagghh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aBuLhAgaG
    You can get ordinary basmati or a specially treated/coated type branded 'easy cook' basmati, the ordinary stuff is a lot more difficult to get right, the easy cook stuff does what it says on the packet, no matter how you try to screw up cooking it, you always get good results, out of curiousity does anyone know what they coat this rice with, I think it's just some sort of oil because it has a trnaslucent look to it...
    Crasy, never heard of that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aBuLhAgaG
    You can get ordinary basmati or a specially treated/coated type branded 'easy cook' basmati, the ordinary stuff is a lot more difficult to get right, the easy cook stuff does what it says on the packet, no matter how you try to screw up cooking it, you always get good results, out of curiousity does anyone know what they coat this rice with, I think it's just some sort of oil because it has a trnaslucent look to it...
    It seems a shame to have to buy treated rice when the real deal isn't that hard to get right... Just try cooking it in the oven - I've never yet managed to make it go wrong.

Thanks
    Acoding to my mum, the easy cook stuff is just part cooked. Thats all it is, the part cook it, wash it, dry it, sell it to noobs.

Registered+
    Thanks
    nope afraid there is more to it than that, it takes as long to cook as regular rice and will not stick no matter how long you cook it for...

Thanks
    The reason that is does not stick is becuase after it has been lightly cooked it is then washed, and all the 'sticky' gooey stuff is washed off. Apprently?

Daniel

Thanks
    The best way to cook rice is indeed witha rice cooker but heres what you do.

Add a cup of rice (i have a big whitards mug that i use, it suits me fine)
    Wash till clear, or well till you can't be arsed washing anymore.
    add water, now heres the science
    heres what you do, add a little water enough till it's just covering the rice with a cm or two, smooth out the rice till it's flat under the water, in the centre take the finger next to your thumb (the err forefinger), dig a hole till your finger tip touches the bottom of the pan
    now take your thumb and press it down till the tip is touching the surface of the rice. keep in this position and move your thumb and forefinger like this to another part of the rice, your forefinger should be touching the surface of the rice and your thumb should be on the surface of the water, if it's in the water, you have too much water, if it's above the water you have too little water.

once you got your water right, with a rice cooker just leave it to do it's business, normally i make rice in the morning before leaving for work (fire risk woo yeah) and come back to make perfect egg fried rice.

Thanks
    • starbuck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • 2x500gb Samsung spinpoint in raid 0, 320gb diamondmax SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT240
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 850watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Dell(rebadged sony) trinitron CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20mb cable internet connection
    I always use a 1:1.5 ratio. I always find it better if it's rinsed till clear(not just once or twice,water has to be clear). I have been warned against using "easy cook" rice as it has a diff texture to long grain ans isn't as good when cooked. Through trial and error have found about an inch water above is right amount, too much water and you will end up with soggy rice.

As for cooking the rice, bring it to the boil(uncovered) and when it starts to pit(when you start to see some holes in the rice) put a tight lid on it and turn it down as low as possible. Do not remove the lid for 15 mins(otherwise the steam will escape and will not cook properly). rice done. I was thinking of getting a rice cooker as they're supposed to be good.
    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Use a rice cooker as they're really good.. have to get good brands like Zojirushi, but they cost over £100 here!

I bought a rice cooker in Hong Kong as its much cheaper there compared to getting ripped off here.

Thanks
    I've just invested in a cheap and nasty £20 Rice Cooker (Tefal thingy, half price in Robert Dyas), and it's blooming amazing.

Two cups of "American Long grain" rice using the measuring cup, 500ml of water, a hefty does of salt. Switch it on before putting the kids to bed and ignore it.

Come back an hour later and the rice is perfectly cooked, fluffy and seperate, warm and just right for frying with a little egg.

Best £20 I've spent in a long time. Used it 4 times, and consistently good rice every time that doesn't even stick to the bottom.

Only slight snag is I dropped the non-stick cooker pan whilst washing it up (whisky and soapy hands not a good combination), and it's not as round and well fitting as I'd like anymore.

Rufus.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RufusA
    Only slight snag is I dropped the non-stick cooker pan whilst washing it up (whisky and soapy hands not a good combination), and it's not as round and well fitting as I'd like anymore.
    Don't think your rice cooker is going to last long as the bowl is one of the most important parts of the rice cooker

Thanks
    Uncle Ben's rice is what I first used when I started cooking for myself, it always turned out well.

These days, white long grain rice of any brand is what I use, but the method is always the same. Put a pan of water on to boil with salt/seasoning in it. Put your rice into a sieve and wash it under the cold tap, 'stir' the rice with your hand, encourages losing some of the starchy dust before it even goes anywhere near being cooked. When the water's boiling put the rice in and bring back up to the boil, stir it a couple of times, then leave it to simmer for 12 minutes. Drain rice into a sieve at the end of the 12 minutes and it should be ready to serve at that point, if it's still a little 'gooey'/sticky, then give it a quick rinse with some fresh boiling water from the kettle.

It's the starch in the rice that gives it that 'sticky' texture I think and as the packs produce a 'dust' as the rice all rubs up against each other during production, transport etc, it releases more apparent starch, and that's why you need to wash it out a bit (least, that's what I was always told )

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    just saw this so thought I'd add 2p...I use wild rice (the one with black grains in as well as white). about a cup, I just pour it into my hand and judge how much to put in, bit of salt, sprinkle of olive oil (extra virgin), and cover with pre-kettle-boiled water with about 1 inch over. then i get on with other cooking to be done. usually I check it after 10mins gentle simmering, if it needs more then fair enough...its personal pref but I like mine solid but cooked. if you keep an eye on rice you'll not get any soggy stuff.
    if you're doing a stir-fry the heat and oil will keep what you use apart and prevent sticky lumps...