Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryzen 5 3400G and ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac AM4 M-ITX HDMI/DP DDR4 Retail

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Ryzen 5 3400G and ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac AM4 M-ITX HDMI/DP DDR4 Retail

Quote Originally Posted by oimi View Post
    Thanks for your reply ciber, I just want something that is stable and fast for VST usage (Superior Drummer 3) with eDrums. I need fast processing and low latency.

If I need to, I will overclock but not at the expense of reliability or causing premature failure.[QUOTE/]
    Get the Ryzen 3 3300X if you can - it is the lowest latency Zen2 part due to being a single chiplet,and a single CCX part. AFAIK,audio software tends to be more latency dependent.

Also if you can wait,the B550 chipset is being released next month(June 16th),but I don't know how expensive the motherboards will be.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 14-05-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks

Okay, thanks for clarifying. So the 3300X will benefit from the new B550 motherboards? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Okay, thanks for clarifying. So the 3300X will benefit from the new B550 motherboards? What are your thoughts?
    Only the certified PCI-E 4.0 compliance. However,AMD is becoming a bit more like Intel nowadays,and people are expecting the B550 motherboards to be more of a lower level X570 replacement. I can't promise if the motherboards will cost more,but at least AMD cannot wiggle out of Zen3 not working on B550!

Thanks

Between 3300X and 3600X you would say the former is better value and will perform well according to my needs?

What discreet GPU should I go for that meets my description? Cheap, energy efficient and small (half size mounting bracket).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Between 3300X and 3600X you would say the former is better value and will perform well according to my needs?

What discreet GPU should I go for that meets my description? Cheap, energy efficient and small (half size mounting bracket).
    The Ryzen 5 3600 is better value if you can get it for £150ish,but I don't know how latency dependent the software you use is,because the Ryzen 3 3300X is lower latency.

If you are not gaming a bus powered GT1030 GDDR5 should be fine.

Thanks

Latency affects how many pads can be played at the same time, especially when using effects in the software. It becomes obvious when playing eDrums as there will be horrible noises coming through instead of pure drum sounds and it's a case of trying to avoid necessitating buffering.

It's weird how a lesser CPU seems to be better regarding latency.

How about this?
    https://m.cclonline.com/product/2337...yPort/VGA3878/

Thanks

I've just spent a while looking at SFF/low profile/half height GPUs and I remember why I wanted onboard graphics! Not much choice with DP and passive cooling and more money than I want to spend compared to the price of 3200G and 3400G.

I'll end up spending more by have a separate GPU that I didn't want in the first place.

What you have said about the other CPU's makes sense but it needs to be cost effective.

This is very frustrating.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

I guessed that was the case too.

I've seen the 3600 for £147.25. Do I go for it or the 3100? In either case, what discreet GPU would go with the board and support HD 1080P but be really small (half size type bracket), cheap, have a display port and not use much energy?
    Needing displayport will narrow the field considerably, you can find it on half height cards but you'll always find HDMI (and both will have no issue with 1080p, you could probably also get away with a cheap converter dongle)

If you want to play modern games, get a GTX 1650. It sucks compared to other modern cards, but is literally your only half height option.

If you're happy with older games, get a GT 1030 or RX 550. They're slow, but not totally hopeless.

If you just want a monitor connection, get a GT 710

I've just spent a while looking at SFF/low profile/half height GPUs and I remember why I wanted onboard graphics! Not much choice with DP and passive cooling and more money than I want to spend compared to the price of 3200G and 3400G.

I'll end up spending more by have a separate GPU that I didn't want in the first place.

What you have said about the other CPU's makes sense but it needs to be cost effective.

If you're happy to wait, we should see some new APUs launch in a few months. AMD doesn't like to offer a socket without APUs (hence bristol ridge), so the B550 boards will get the new laptop APUs packaged for desktop at some point this year (probably).

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Aside from no stock at the moment, what's the problem with 3400G?
    The 3400G officially only supports 2933Hz ram, though I have used 2200G and 3200G chips at 3200MHz without them missing a beat so far.

The 3600 is an awesome device. Problem is if you are after a displayport interface in a half height graphics card then none of the really low end cards can do that, so you are looking at something like a GTX 1050 which costs almost as much as the 3600.

A quick look at the Superior Drummer 3 requirements it sounds like you want plenty of ram but doesn't actually list a CPU requirement, so it looks to me like you just need at least 16GB of ram. Why do you think you need a lot of CPU grunt?

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

Patriot is a good manufacturer, been around for a long time.
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Another thing, the 3600X runs hotter than the plain 3600 but you probably wouldn't notice any performance difference just have difficulty containing the extra heat in a small case.

May I ask what CPU you have tried so far? I have looked at a couple of youtube videos, one describes his second hand 27" imac 2013 as a monster system (Haswell quad core from a quick google), I think the same guy was using a Mac Mini dual core for a home system (2 core 4 thread Sandy Bridge?), and a guy in a demo video was using a laptop.

From that, it looks to me like a 3400G with 16G of ram is overkill, and you could slap that and a 500GB or bigger SSD to hold Windows and all those samples into something like an Asrock A300 which is small enough to hide in a drum kit. The Mac Mini would be slower than a dirt cheap Athlon 3000G which has a higher clock speed and better threading than the Sandy Bridge dual core i5.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Latency affects how many pads can be played at the same time, especially when using effects in the software. It becomes obvious when playing eDrums as there will be horrible noises coming through instead of pure drum sounds and it's a case of trying to avoid necessitating buffering.

It's weird how a lesser CPU seems to be better regarding latency.

How about this?
    https://m.cclonline.com/product/2337...yPort/VGA3878/

That GT1030 has displayport:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rce-1030&num=1

Thanks

Thanks Cat, I'm going to go with the 3300X and GPU you mentioned.

Thanks

ASRock B450M Pro4-F, AMD B450, S AM4, DDR4, SATA3, Dual M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, Realtek GbE, USB 3.1 Gen1 A+C, MicroATX or its worth spending £20.00 more to get the ASRock B450M Steel Legend, AMD B450, S AM4, DDR4, SATA3, Dual M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, Realtek GbE, USB3.1 G2 A+C, MicroATX? It seems the latter has more connections and is better equipped for higher rates RAM.

Elsewhere, someone has said B-Die TG at 3600/16-16-16-36, could be downrated to 3200, and downclocked to 14-14-14-28. It could be worth getting the more expensive board?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information