Thread: monitor or graphics card

Thanks

can someone help me?

Hi

I hope someone can help me or has been through something similar. This is my problem -

A couple of weeks ago I noticed my monitor would go black and then come back on, now sometimes when I start it, it freezes then switches off (light on monitor goes amber, pc stays on). I did a bit of research which suggested it could be the graphics card, so I updated the drivers but nothing changed. Usually if I restart it, it works ok next time. This last time, I tried three times to restart it and the monitor kept going off. I checked for loose cables, I reseated the graphics card and it will now work again. It has started flicking off again temporarily and Im afraid it will go altogether soon. What should be done to fix this?

I told mesh about the problem they replied -

See if you can test the pc with a different monitor or the monitor with a different pc. Press the menu button on the monitor to see if it brings up the menu box (when there is not display on the monitor). You should get the menu box even when there is a problem with the graphic card.

I have no other equipment to test with but I managed to press the menu button when the display had gone black and it said 'In power save mode press computer power button or any key on the keyboard or move mouse' Does this mean it could be a faulty cable between monitor and pc? Or even the DVI adaptor ?

Mesh then replied -

It is unlikely to be a cable or connection/adaptor issue. Call the monitor manufacturer and ask for a replacement. If it is still the same with a different monitor then we need to bring the system back to base for further tests.

My monitor is one from another computer system and is not under warranty. I don't want to pay for a new monitor especially if the problem still exists. Any advice?

Thanks
    MissAVuk
    Last edited by MissAVuk; 12-08-2007 at 09:35 AM.

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Re: monitor or graphics card

Hi MissAVuk,

We can offer to have the system examined in our workshop but if the fault is then found out to not be with the system supplied a labour charge would apply.

Are you sure about the monitor warranty, a majority of the manufacturers provide a 3 year one now so it may still be (unless you come back and tell me it's much older than that of course).

Davey

Thanks

I am sure its the graphics card, I have since booted up in safe mode and disabled the graphics card and have turned off hardware acceleration. My pc is sort of ok although I can't run a lot of my high intense games or applications. How long would it take for the whole process, pick up , worked on and sent back?
    what would it cost if you don't find a fault?

I rang up mesh repair to ask for it to be picked up, but I was told I needed to do a factory restore just to make sure. I really don't want to have to do that as I am convinced it is hardware related and not a software issue. Do you think it is worth it even though it hasn't frozen once since disabling the graphics card?
    Last edited by MissAVuk; 14-08-2007 at 11:59 AM.

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Hi MissAVuk,

Disabling the video card and turning off all hardware acceleration would prevent just about any graphics related issue from occurring as the graphics card is doing next to nothing under those circumstances. It's not really a clear indication that it is the hardware at fault.

Turn around in repairs at the moment is 5-7 working days.

Davey

Thanks

I tried to do a factory restore only the stupid disc is missing the m5289.sys file which I believe is the sata drivers. Now I have to wait until I get sent a new disc so I can do a factory restore which I know won't fix my graphics card problem.

If that wasn't enough, I tried to download the driver from asus website - that wanted to make a floppy so I had to dig out an old floppy drive only to find the drivers weren't right or it wouldn't except them.
    I now know the definition of frustration!!!!

I feel better, my rant is over for now!!!!

Thanks

Update for anyone that is interested I managed to put m5289.sys, m5287.sys and nvraid.sys on separate floppies and inserted them when the xp installation prompts to press F6.

I managed to do a factory restore although I had to manually had to find all my motherboard drivers as the asus website doesn't list them all.

I have still got one exclaimation mark in device manager but it just says unknown device so I'm not sure what that is and I can't tell what is missing.

Believe it or not the graphics card seems to be ok!

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Hi MissAVuk,

If you open the properties for that device and go to the details tab you should find the DEV and VEN IDs that will allow us to identify the component.

Davey

Thanks

Under Device instance Id it says ACPI\ATK0110\1010110

Is that any help?

What ever it is, it doesn't stop my pc from booting up and I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Thankyou
    Ann-marie

Thanks

I have sorted it - forgot to install AI Booster!

Thread Information