Thread: Constant crashing, BSOD, etc.

Thanks

Constant crashing, BSOD, etc.

Dear all,

I recently took charge of the MESH computer that my nan bought since she prefers to use her old (very old) computer. It had only been turned on once, so was still at factory settings when I received it. I started to install all of the necessary files and programs that I need to do my work (I am currently trying to write my PhD thesis), but I soon discovered that there is a problem with the computer. The computer will lock up, and the HDD light will remain on, before going to a BSOD and initiating a crash dump.

There didn't seem to be a particular event that caused the crash. Sometimes it will crash when viewing media or listening to music, sometimes just by opening a folder (with nothing else running at the time). The error message seemed to be different every time, although Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error has come up several times. Also, it always seems to be a STOP: 0x0000007A error. Two examples are STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC0444930, 0xC000000E, 0x1A0E4860, 0x88926190) (error in dxgkrnl.sys) and STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC0403D20, 0xC000000E, 0x02F73860, 0x807A4011) (error in ataport.sys).

My first thought that it was a problem with some drivers, so I updated everything. This didn't work. Running it in safe mode is better, but it has still crashed a few times. In the end, I decided to cut my losses and start from scratch. I reformated and reinstalled windows Vista and, lo and behold, it just crashed again with the BSOD error message STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} 0xc0000001 (0x00000000, 0x00000000). This makes me think that there is some kind of problem with the hardware.

Having wasted a lot of time and money trying to speak to somebody at MESH technical support, I am hoping that I will have more luck on this board. If anybody can give me some assistance, I will be most grateful! My doctorate hangs in the balance...

Many thanks,

Sam

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Constant crashing, BSOD, etc.

Hello, I was getting BSOD also, so all I did was to do fresh reinstall of windows and all my problems have gone now (hopefully). System running fine now, make sure you make a note of all the hardware and software you might need and also that you have the discs for the drivers or better still download all the latest drivers for your PC. Hope this helps you.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

A good place to start is checking your memory - download this http://www.memtest.org/ and let it run overnight. If it's clear in the morning (no red text) then you can move onto the next component.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

4. Received thanks from:

Davey W (16-08-2007)

Thanks

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the replies.

Squib, I have reinstalled Vista several times now, including completely wiping the hard drive to start fresh. No luck unfortunately, and I saw a major crash as I was reinstalling the system drivers. System drivers are now installed, and I am still seeing intermittent system locking. Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be any one process that sets it off. It seems fairly random.

Dangel, I am currently running memtest and I will post the results when it is finished.

Thanks again,

Sam

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Generally speaking, a full pass of memtest means memory is good but you run it overnight (~8 hours) to be absolutely sure. Bad memory results in lots of weird random problems and I always start by checking this first. If you do get errors, and you've got more than one stick of memory, try removing one of them and repeat the test. If it's clear, remove that stick (and remember it's the good one) and then test the other one on it's own. It's pretty normal to have just one stick go and the other being fine - which is handy if you need the system to run whilst you get the other replaced.
    Good luck
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Just out of interest, will it keep running ad infinitum, or does it only do a set number of passes? It's up to 12 passes so far in about 4 hours. If it doesn't have a set finish I guess that I'll stop it in a few hours.

Cheers!

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

It'll keep going forever - if it's ok after 12 passes your memory is probably fine tbh

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Hi stupiddrummer,

It sounds as though the memory is fine but something else is causing a problem. Most definitely hardware in nature I'd say the system needs looking at by one of our engineers.

Davey

Thanks

Hi all,

Well I have inserted a new graphics card (nvidia GeForce 8500 GT) and upgraded the RAM (I was going to do both of these anyway at some point, even though the memory seems to be okay), and so far everything seems to be running smoothly. I will give it a few days and see how stable things are. Hopefully everything will be fine from here on (touch wood!). Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thread Information