Thread: problem with standby

Thanks

Question problem with standby

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about this. We have a mesh matrix 3000+ NY.

We've been having problems with our computer going into standby mode. If we put it in standby after a few minutes it will wake itself up. We've also ad problems where if the computer is set to go into standby after, say 10 minutes of inactivity it comes up with an error 'System Standby Error' and that the WAN miniport (IP) Freedom miniport (no idea what this is) device is stopping the PC from entering standby. The same applies for Hibernation.

Now, we tried a system restore and this seemed to work (even though it said the system restore point had changed nothing).

However the day after we then got BSOD to do with iomdisk.dll (i think driver to do with zip drive). Any way, long story short we reinstalled Windows XP. However now the problem seems to be back and I out of ideas. I haven't seen the 'System Standby Error' yet but am going to try that now, however the computer does again seem to be refusing to stay in standby.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Matt

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Re: problem with standby

Hi crerar,

Standby along with the other sleep related features Windows offers can be temperamental about what drivers and/or software is running.

Unfortunately all I can advise is that you try updating/downgrading the drivers for various components to see if that helps. You had it working before so you know there is a combination that will work, and if the new error indicates in any way which component might be causing the problem then you have somewhere to start.

Davey

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Davey's right - it's a driver issue. Sounds like a network driver (WAN miniport (IP) Freedom miniport ) is the cause - have you got more than one network port or just the one? You could disable the network card in device manager (start->right click on 'my computer'->properties->hardware->device manager) temporarily to see if it fixes the issue. If it does, then i'd try and find an updated driver for it or try and older driver from the manufacturer's site.

Hope that helps!
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

HI, thanks for the replies Davey and dangel.

After testing with the standby function (setting it to go on standby after a minute) the error message isn't coming up in this instance. It does put itself automatically into standby as well as going manually but still wakes itself up. So no WAN freedom port etc message this time.

If it's the drivers I'm not sure what to do. When we reinstalled windows xp we had to reinstall all the drivers we got the use of driver genius professional edition. So i would assume (but may be wrong) that it should give us the most up to date drivers? With one exception though, as it couldn't recognise what the device was - we think it was the firewire port but since we don't use that it's not a problem - also therefore since it didn't recognise it, it didn't install a driver so i again assume that that couldn't be the issue?

In network adapters, our Ethernet card is NVIDIA nForce and we also have a 1394 net adapter(?) (no idea what this is). However setting device manager to display hidden devices we seem to have quite a lot of network stuff to do with WAN miniport, although I still have no idea what this is. I will try disabling the network adapter and see if that effects it, when I get the time.

Sorry for not being very technically proficient! Thanks for the replies and any further help!

Matt

Thanks

Hey, I don't know if this is related to my previous problem but my PC seems to have gone belly up this morning again. was working fine earlier, but now it won't get past the windows loading screen with the bars moving Left-Right. Haven't done anything do it, just hope its save-able. Anyone any ideas. Trying to boot from Last Known good Configuration doesn't work.

Matt

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks

Hi crerar,

If you have not already contacted us via other channels, could you enter your mesh Order Number into the box provided within your Hexus.net profile please?

Davey

Thread Information