Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motherboard would you recommend for Antec h20 620 cooler ?

Banned
    Thanks

What motherboard would you recommend for Antec h20 620 cooler ?

Ive been watching some reviews on the Antec KÜHLER H2O 620 CPU Cooler CAT mentioend in a post and it seems like it would be a good idea to buy one, I read it was compatiable with followng boards
    LGA 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, AMD AM2, AM3, AM2+, AM3+ .

Given that ,what motherboards would youd recommend that was compatible under £180 ?

Also it would be useful to know if having a 120 mm rear hole is the only requirement needed to use this in a case , other than space for a compatible motherboard that fits .

cheers,

che

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: What motherboard would you recommend for Antec h20 620 cooler ?

I have this cooler and am using it with a P8P67 PRO and core i7 2600k combo. You don't have to a cut out at the back as you could mount the rear bracket before screwing the board down. I wouldn't want to do this as if you pushed it off (its only secured with sticky pads at this stage) you would need to unscrew everything.

The block/pump part takes up less space than any cooler so ANY motherboard is fine. Just pick one that suts your needs. The case is the more important part for the rads placement etc.
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

3. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Young Member
    Thanks
    • shakerist's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Maximus Vİ İMPACT İTX
      • CPU:
      • İ7 4770
      • Memory:
      • 16gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb wd blue, SanDisk 128gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 270
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 620w
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Phenom İTX
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung p2250
      • Internet:
      • Talk talk 38mbit fibre

I think you need to decide on a cpu first, I currently use a AMD 1055t with an ASUS M4a89GTD pro which is cooled by a h50. All you need to make sure is that your chosen mobo is LGA 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, AMD AM2, AM3, AM2+, AM3+ and you will be fine.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him dominate the world

5. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by shakerist View Post
    I think you need to decide on a cpu first, I currently use a AMD 1055t with an ASUS M4a89GTD pro which is cooled by a h50. All you need to make sure is that your chosen mobo is LGA 775, 1155, 1156, 1366, AMD AM2, AM3, AM2+, AM3+ and you will be fine.
    Shakerist is right, you are looking at things backwards! You need to decide on what platform works best for you before you decide on the cooling solution

7. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Also as walibe posted the combo block&pump is small, it's not bigger than a stock cooler (generally smaller diameter but taller) so space around the socket is not an issue, so you're not restricted in motherboard choice.

9. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Also as walibe posted the combo block&pump is small, it's not bigger than a stock cooler (generally smaller diameter but taller) so space around the socket is not an issue, so you're not restricted in motherboard choice.
    based on this id say the AMD Athlon II X4 645 looks alright.

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...5834?artc_pg=2

m

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

At around £76 yes it's a great budget cpu, at around £60 the AMD AthlonII X3 455 is also a good contender.
    fewer but faster cores.

12. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    At around £76 yes it's a great budget cpu, at around £60 the AMD AthlonII X3 455 is also a good contender.
    fewer but faster cores.
    hey Prob ,

Yes it looks better buy than Phenom one ,but what about this intel 5 2500 3.3 sandt bridge on scan that you can preorder , when is that due in , any one know ?

m
    Last edited by melon; 05-06-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    • c.ruel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AM2+ M3A78-EM
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x3 720BE
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb ddr2 crucial ballistix
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4850 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 600w coolermaster M silent whisper
      • Case:
      • Cooler master elite 341 mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" mitsubishi CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20meg virgin

Regarding the actual question you have posted, you have answered it yourself. Any motherboard which is socket 775, 1156, 1366, 1155, AM2, AM2+, AM3, or AM3+ motherboard is fine.

I have noticed a couple of threads that you have started now melon. It seems like you are flirting with the idea of building a new pc for yourself. As one of the higher posts pointed out you seem to have this question a little backwards and in fact with a lot of the questions you are asking you seem to be a little confused. I don't mean to be rude, after all I have only built two pcs so I am not exactly experienced by any stretch of the imagination, especially when compared to most of the members on this forum. However having been in your shoes within recent memory I can offer some advice that I hope you find useful. There is a wealth of information on the internet connected to building computers available for free. The hard part is reading it yourself, which if you are serious about building a pc I strongly suggest you do. Forums are also very useful, but they are more useful if you have questions which arise from the reading around you have done to clarify matters and get a more nuanced response tailored to you, compared to guides which are more general. If you just make a forum thread for every question that enters your mind regarding building a pc then, your questions are most probably going to be a bit confused (like this one) and most probably hard to answer in a satisfactory way because of that. You can also use the search function to find out if the question has already been asked, although if you type the question into google often a hexus thread where the question is dealt with is returned.

15. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.ruel View Post
    Regarding the actual question you have posted, you have answered it yourself. Any motherboard which is socket 775, 1156, 1366, 1155, AM2, AM2+, AM3, or AM3+ motherboard is fine.

I have noticed a couple of threads that you have started now melon. It seems like you are flirting with the idea of building a new pc for yourself. As one of the higher posts pointed out you seem to have this question a little backwards and in fact with a lot of the questions you are asking you seem to be a little confused. I don't mean to be rude, after all I have only built two pcs so I am not exactly experienced by any stretch of the imagination, especially when compared to most of the members on this forum. However having been in your shoes within recent memory I can offer some advice that I hope you find useful. There is a wealth of information on the internet connected to building computers available for free. The hard part is reading it yourself, which if you are serious about building a pc I strongly suggest you do. Forums are also very useful, but they are more useful if you have questions which arise from the reading around you have done to clarify matters and get a more nuanced response tailored to you, compared to guides which are more general. If you just make a forum thread for every question that enters your mind regarding building a pc then, your questions are most probably going to be a bit confused (like this one) and most probably hard to answer in a satisfactory way because of that. You can also use the search function to find out if the question has already been asked, although if you type the question into google often a hexus thread where the question is dealt with is returned.
    No, thats a fair point, as Im currently trying to build 2 other things so the thought of reading yet more technical data ( which is not a straong poinr for me ) is a little daunting .

The case questions was something that bothered me as on different levels, including cosmetics - esp as I had already looked around any way .

As for cpu i have better idea of the landscape now at least and what i want to do i.e .overclock the cpu or graphics card just for gaming with good budget cpu like the AMD Athlon II X3 455 and better graphics card , or vice versa.

Im still not entirely sure about the case , though it seems if i do good bigger ( as i will have to for games ) i might as well ensure it has top mounted fan etc as pob said, to thelp with overclocking and any upgrades with cpu or gpu.

that is the sort of working plan , though I havent really looked at how you go about overclocking and if there are any specifics things that would be essential in order for me to overclock an AMD Athlon II X3 455 i.e. PSU, GPUS.. that i would need .

m

Thanks
    • c.ruel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AM2+ M3A78-EM
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x3 720BE
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb ddr2 crucial ballistix
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4850 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 600w coolermaster M silent whisper
      • Case:
      • Cooler master elite 341 mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" mitsubishi CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20meg virgin

Well I suppose the most important thing to do is work out what you need. Think about what you use your computer for ... or what you want to but can't. This then tells you what you need and then it is easier to work out the specifics, i.e what cpu and what discrete gpu (if you even need one!) and then you can decide on a motherboard and case etc.

I know from first hand that it is very daunting, and I am glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. From your response I see you that do have ideas for specific components and what not ... that is good and an x3 455 is definatley a good choice for a budget gaming system! I suppose at the risk of sounding like a broken record have a think about whether you want/need a budget gaming system (I am not saying it is just a good cpu for just that but hopefully you get where I am going)! Also if you tell people what you want to use your computer for they can give you much better/specific advice!

18. Received thanks from:

melon (05-06-2011)

Thanks
    • planet436's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.4k, 1.287V, Noctua NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • 8(2x4)GB Mushkin 1333
      • Storage:
      • X25-M 80GB, 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 2GB unlocked @ 850/1300
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VW266H @ 1920x1200

Good advice there from c.ruel. Hardocp has a good sticky for people asking about building new systems which helps to focus their minds (also makes it easier for people recommending) on what they need. Have copied and pasted it, should help you hopefully.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
    2) What's your budget? Is shipping included?
    3) Where do you live?
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
    5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
    6) Will you be overclocking?
    7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
    8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Most of these questions will be asked by people recommending components anyway. Rarely do people mention whether they need an OS or what monitor/purpose the computer is for which can make a huge difference.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.ruel View Post
    Well I suppose the most important thing to do is work out what you need. Think about what you use your computer for ... or what you want to but can't. This then tells you what you need and then it is easier to work out the specifics, i.e what cpu and what discrete gpu (if you even need one!) and then you can decide on a motherboard and case etc.

I know from first hand that it is very daunting, and I am glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. From your response I see you that do have ideas for specific components and what not ... that is good and an x3 455 is definatley a good choice for a budget gaming system! I suppose at the risk of sounding like a broken record have a think about whether you want/need a budget gaming system (I am not saying it is just a good cpu for just that but hopefully you get where I am going)! Also if you tell people what you want to use your computer for they can give you much better/specific advice!
    Well most of what i need upgrade for is music production ( fl studio , reason stuff ) games and movies with perhaps an option for watching in blue ray or using 3d ( though Im not that that bothered )

Im not photo editing , or do anything graphics related but I do like to explore various things, so for the most part general purpose media with a focus on music production , games .

As far as gaming goes Id feel happier with something that was able to stay ahead of the pack without having worry about upgrading in year or so,and in hindsight id be prepared to spend more to do that .

Graphics while nice are not as important as game itself lagging , the same if I happen to be playing an mmorpgs as I somtimes do and plan to for Guildwars 2.

I m really not sure how much more specific you mean though, as I cant think of any other way to really explain unless by comparisons, I basically use my pc for almost everything so having it run smoothly while be economical would also help.

I dont have any consoles for gaming as an alternative to pc because i cant use them ( keyboard is easier on my hands )

m

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by planet436 View Post
    Good advice there from c.ruel. Hardocp has a good sticky for people asking about building new systems which helps to focus their minds (also makes it easier for people recommending) on what they need. Have copied and pasted it, should help you hopefully.

3) Where do you live?
    4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
    5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
    9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
    10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Most of these questions will be asked by people recommending components anyway. Rarely do people mention whether they need an OS or what monitor/purpose the computer is for which can make a huge difference.
    ok i just saw this sorry, let me get back to you on these things - esp the motherboard which i have yet to read up on.

m

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by planet436 View Post

Gaming ,music, web browsing , maybe some photoshop

probably 600 at the very max

3) Where do you live?

uk

I need a new pc basically , its not upgrade so im afraid all the things a new pc need to work i.e. motherboard,cpu,gpu,psu,fans,case,soundcard ,cooler,hardrive ( though not so important ), and Dvd read / writer even less

Nope im not sure what'll do with my old pc

I hope to yes , esp if i get a budget cpu

Siemens 22"

ASAP really , health permitting

i dont really need any of it unless you or anyone else thinks is would be advantage i.e. for overclocking or upgrading, I like the idea of crossfire and adding more gpu cards for games but not if it means it got drawbacks, anything else like Raid or firwire i suppose are just bonus but not essential
    No I have OEM so I will need a new one too unfortunately

I suppose one other thing Id like to achieve is something that runs economically i.e. doesnt run up my bills with the psu , esp given how long I usually have my pc on .

thanks

melon

Thanks
    • planet436's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.4k, 1.287V, Noctua NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • 8(2x4)GB Mushkin 1333
      • Storage:
      • X25-M 80GB, 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6950 2GB unlocked @ 850/1300
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VW266H @ 1920x1200

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

with the £99 5850 Sapphire linked in current bargins. With free delivery from scan it's slightly over your budget but is a powerful system for the price. Unfortunately it doesn't include a soundcard (depends what you need it for), though onboard will be fine for general purposes and gaming. Depending on what you mean by 'music' as requirements a separate one may be needed.

If wanted to save money, then I'd be tempted to get a cheap H67 motherboard and a 2100 cpu which is ~50-60 saved. You lose the power to overclock if did this, but even without it it's a powerful cpu and is extremely economical in terms of bills. At £600 ignore crossfire, one the cost of components needed to support it is way out of budget and two its pointless on a 22" monitor.
    Last edited by planet436; 10-06-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: resized picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information