Thread: Advice needed on motherboard choice

Thanks

Advice needed on motherboard choice

I can get this Intel mobo for £92: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...z77bh-55k.html

Or should I just go for the gigabyte one for £77: http://www.ebuyer.com/351598-gigabyt...ard-ga-z77-d3h

My setup will be: 3570k, 680gtx, 8gb ddr3 1600Mhz, 2x120gb SSD's in raid, 650w psu.

Looks like the intel one has more features but is it worth the extra price? Will those features be noticeable? Are intel motherboards reliable and have good OC features? Or should I just stick with the Gigabyte one?

Thank You

Thanks
    • rs4847's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X570 Creator
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + Corsair H115i PRO RGB XT
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK64GX4M2D3600C18
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 1TB SSDs, 2x4TB Hitachi Deskstar NAS RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000i
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7 XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG + Ilyama ProLite E2473HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Gig1

Re: Advice needed on motherboard choice

Depends on several factors, if you are planning on keeping the motherboard for 3 years or more I'd get the Intel.

I have run Intel boards for years in my main systems and never had an issue. Gigabyte on the other hand I don't really rate, I've had several act funny or just plain die on me mostly from bad caps.

Feature wise the new Intel Visual BIOS is pretty slick and Intel generally pump out the BIOS updates for around a year or more after a boards launch just fixing small things or updating option ROM's.

Not sure how that Intel board will OC as it only uses 6 power phases but does use an 8 pin power connector vs 4 pin on the Gigabyte.

The second x16 PCIe slot is shared on the Gigabyte and only x4 bandwidth, the Intel's second slot is x8 and supports SLI and Crossfire if such things are important to you.

The Gigabyte uses a secondary USB 3.0 controller for it's extra ports and has a mSATA port, the Intel uses a USB 3.0 hub controller to split the physical ports and bandwidth to provide more ports.

The Gigabyte board uses an Atheros LAN controller and VIA audio whereas the Intel uses Intel LAN and Realtek audio, this in itself would make my chose the Intel over the Gigabyte.
    Last edited by rs4847; 16-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with Intel then.

Registered+
    Thanks

Are you going to be overclocking? If you are then put some extra money towards it and get a better mobo preferably one with better VRM cooling.

Maybe look at the P8Z77-V

Thread Information