Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Gigabyte's Ultra Durable whatever just buzzwordy crap?

Thanks

Re: Is Gigabyte's Ultra Durable whatever just buzzwordy crap?

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    All Gimmicks mostly like the high durability claims. However it will make your board more sellable when you sell it.
    The only one I'd call a gimmick is PCB copper amount (within reason). I don't think it makes a huge difference on mobos - certainly when paired with decent cooling.

Solid caps, ferrite cores, higher rated components against ESD and certainly IR3550 PowIRstage ICs can all be measured. They do have substance, but it's relative. An office machine probably wouldn't get any use out of them (and would be binned anyway after a few years), but for enthusiasts they are nice features.

I've certainly had a few boards where the caps have gone after prolonged overclocking, so I like solid caps. It's also only really the UD5 that has a big price jump due to the excellent IR3550 PowIRstage ICs. It's not like you're paying a huge premium with these features, it's just a nice easy way to know what you're getting.

I don't like excessive marketing as much as the next guy, but I don't think Gigabyte are pulling a fast one here. The theories behind each added thing are known in the electronics circle. It's not like Gigabyte are claiming anything that breaks the laws of physics here
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I have just finished building a PC using a Gigabyte Z77-D3H and my early impressions are that the BIOS is much nicer than the Asus BIOS and I think I prefer the Gigabyte layout for things like the way they do the front panel connectors, this is a lot better than the Gigabyte boards of 8 or 9 years ago that I remember.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    The only one I'd call a gimmick is PCB copper amount (within reason). I don't think it makes a huge difference on mobos - certainly when paired with decent cooling.
    I think it also acts as additional shielding, but I think PCB noise is something users are unlikely to notice unless in a very EM noisy environment.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I have just finished building a PC using a Gigabyte Z77-D3H and my early impressions are that the BIOS is much nicer than the Asus BIOS
    I built a PC this week around the same board......initially I was a bit miffed with the BIOS tbh. Overly graphical for no good reason and then it took me a while to notice that there was no legacy support in the BIOS......could only get Windows to install in EFI/GUID mode. Luckily updating the BIOS to the latest version added it back in though.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)
    I updated the bios before doing anything else with the mobo and it was so easy to do, drop the bios onto a USB key, insert into a USB slot and press the button.

Plus the utilities that came with it for setting up Rapid start, Smart Response and Intel Connect were really easy and allowed me to configure the m-Sata SSD really quickly. My father in law is so impressed with the PC I built for him and for a mobo that was about a third of the price of my mobo I'm surprised at how good it is. I might build my next PC with a Gigabyte board.

Thanks

Sorry to bump an antique thread if that bothers anyone!

I am no tech guy, but agent is on the money. I had fried a mobo's caps on my wife's pc maybe in 2013. (I think it was MSI brand, no idea which model, but it was probably pretty low end came with a core2 duo porcessor and old, bought in like '05), the ud series had come pretty highly recommended as a replacement by other IT professionals for durability purposes. With respect to how else it stacks up I am pretty ignorant.

So my point is, before you just dismiss something as hype, which frankly, we all do, because there is so much marketing hype! try harder to at least qualify opinions with some basis your actual firsthand knowledge.

[i stumbled on this trying to search for any recent durability shootouts between asus, gigabyte, msi and others]

To call it marketing hype and just dismiss it is really pretty dumb. I care about durability and ability to withstand a less than vigilant owner with respect to how treats his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post

Solid caps, ferrite cores, higher rated components against ESD and certainly IR3550 PowIRstage ICs can all be measured. They do have substance, but it's relative. An office machine probably wouldn't get any use out of them (and would be binned anyway after a few years), but for enthusiasts they are nice features.

I've certainly had a few boards where the caps have gone after prolonged overclocking, so I like solid caps. It's also only really the UD5 that has a big price jump due to the excellent IR3550 PowIRstage ICs. It's not like you're paying a huge premium with these features, it's just a nice easy way to know what you're getting.

I don't like excessive marketing as much as the next guy, but I don't think Gigabyte are pulling a fast one here. The theories behind each added thing are known in the electronics circle. It's not like Gigabyte are claiming anything that breaks the laws of physics here

7. Received thanks from:

Millennium (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.

Just been looking at some H97 Asrock and Asus boards. They boast of 12,000 hours and 5,ooo hours respectively min. life for the caps. Now, 12k hours? - less than 18 months! Not impressed.
    My leaning atm is towards MSI and Gigabyte. Used Asus in in the past, but a 12 month warranty is taking the proverbial!
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Just been looking at some H97 Asrock and Asus boards. They boast of 12,000 hours and 5,ooo hours respectively min. life for the caps. Now, 12k hours? - less than 18 months! Not impressed.
    I think you'll find that's at a very high temperature. How hot capacitors get during normal use I'm not sure, but I know the companion lower temperature figures are frequently 5-10x longer.

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.

Ah, thanks - I was a bit worried that a new build wouldn't last as long as the current one (8 years so far).
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Registered+
    Thanks

You cant just give a single number for a capacitors life, its xxx at yyy same as you cant just say it has to be solid caps or nothing, because some things are better at what they are good at. Paper in oil give the best sound.

Up until a few years back (well early to mid 2000's) 90% of all the caps I saw were rated at 85c, say 4500 hours at 85c that is their life and depending on the quality they will get better as they cool, say 10,000 at 65c 20,000 at 55c and so on.

One pretty solid rule is "heat is the enemy" you can say that about most things, from the power you an get out of an engine, or the power rate a bit of silicon can work at ...to the reason why as a race mammalia stood up.
    ASUS A7N8X nForce 2 AMD Tbred @2012 MHz, 2GB Radeon 9250 Win2000/slackware
    LG GSA-4167B - LiteOn SHM-165P6S & NEC ND-3550A Seasonic S12 - 4x Maxtor 200GB WD 74 GB
    - - - -
    DFI LP RDX200 CF-DR (12/23) Athlon 4200x2 (LDBFE@2.5GHz) Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Sapphire Radeon X1650XT 24Pipe
    2 GB G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ Raptor 74, Maxtor 200GB x2 Hitachi 320GB x2, Eclipse 62 Corsair HX 620, LG GSA H42N, Asus CRW-5232A, Optiarc DVDRW AD-5170A ViewSonic Professional P220F via KVM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information