Thread: My front USB 3 port will not read USB 3 device properly, but reads USB 2 just fine?

Thanks

My front USB 3 port will not read USB 3 device properly, but reads USB 2 just fine?

I have ASUS P8Z77 –V motherboard and the front USB 3.0 headers are not working when I plug in a USB 3.0 device. When I plugged in my Kingston USB 3.0 Flash Drive into the front USB 3.0 header it didn't work. As in, when I tried to move a file into the USB flash drive, the drive disappeared and it made that USB unplugged sound. But if I connect it to any back USB 3.0 ports, it works fine.

But, if I plug in my Scandisk USB 2.0 Flash drive into the front USB 3.0 ports, it works without any errors.

This only happens with USB 3.0 devices and it has to be connected to front USB 3.0 ports.
    I have installed all the latest drivers and updated my BIOS to the latest one. I have checked if USB 3.0 is enabled in BIOS.

I asked to my friend to help me. He has AMD rig with ASUS M5a99X EVO motherboard, which has a front USB 3.0 header. We installed all AMD drivers for his rig updated everything, the front USB 3.0 ports worked fine. We manage to transfer all the files at full-speed on to the Kingston 3.0 flash drive without any errors, so I know it’s not my PC case’s USB 3.0 cable at fault.

Any help. Please note the front USB 3.0 ports work if I plug in a USB 2.0 device.

My case: CM 690 II Advanced Black & White Edition (USB 3.0)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: My front USB 3 port will not read USB 3 device properly, but reads USB 2 just fin

There are a number of reasons this could be.
    1) That the USB3.0 cables from the case are plugged into a USB2.0 connection on the motherboard
    2) That the usb3.0 isn't getting enough power if it's run off a daughter card
    3) MoBo fault
    4) Drivers for the USB3.0 haven't been loaded.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thread Information