Thread: Connecting fans to mother board or Fan hub?

Registered+
    Thanks

Connecting fans to mother board or Fan hub?

Hi guys.
    Just a very silly question. Wasn't sure where to put it? Here or chasis section.
    My case is NZXT H440 and has build in fan hub for connecting 3pin fans to it.
    Mobo Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H although I didn't buy it yet. (waiting on Intel to release new CPUs and Z97 mobos and then would make a decision)

Is there any difference connecting case fans to MOBO fan headers or Case fan hub at all?
    Does it really matter where the fans are connected to as they are not PWM anyway?

All fans are NZXT V2 3 pin.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: Connecting fans to mother board or Fan hub?

afaik the only fan you need to plug in to the motherboard is the CPU fan to the CPU fan header.
    every other fan can be plugged into whatever you want powering it, be it a fan header on the motherboard or a hub.

the differences are -
    if the mobo has any temperature or rpm controlled fan speed settings, then they will alter the fan header fans.
    if they're in a hub, its up to you to control them with the speed controls on the hub.

3. Received thanks from:

wilsonik (08-05-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    afaik the only fan you need to plug in to the motherboard is the CPU fan to the CPU fan header.
    every other fan can be plugged into whatever you want powering it, be it a fan header on the motherboard or a hub.

the differences are -
    if the mobo has any temperature or rpm controlled fan speed settings, then they will alter the fan header fans.
    if they're in a hub, its up to you to control them with the speed controls on the hub.
    Thanks Stevie Lee for your reply.
    I thought that speed of only 4pin (PWM) can be controlled and simple 3pin fans it's only on/off.
    Can you controll the speed of non PWM fans through MOBO headers?

THe hub in H440 is simple. Doesn't have any speed controll option.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Stuen4y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77 Mpower
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2400 CL11
      • Storage:
      • 840 Evo 120GB + 120 + 120GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSi R9 290X Lightning
      • PSU:
      • FD Edison M 750W
      • Case:
      • FD Arc Midi
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU Red Eage
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 Meg

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonik View Post
    Can you controll the speed of non PWM fans through MOBO headers?
    Yes you can, sort of. Usually it depends on the manufacturer and on the actual fan header. Some motherboards do not offer 3 pin voltage control anymore, some offer it on some headers and others on all. Sometimes there is an option (at least before there was) to choose from PWM or voltage control, specifically on the Gigabyte. Asus for sure have 3 pin fans control, but in general you have to check reviews for the specific model you are interested in and see if it can control it in a similar fashion of PWM control.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonik View Post
    THe hub in H440 is simple. Doesn't have any speed controll option.
    As I see the hub in the H440 is just in goes +12V and GND by a 3 pin fan connector using just 2 wires and out go the 10 3 pin headers. Theoretically if you get a single channel fan controller that can go up to 2.5A for the channel, I see no reason why you would not be able to control all the 3 pin fans connected to the hub if you plug the controller to power the hub. This is manual control though and the one the motherboard does for each fan is usually automatic based on the temperature of key components - CPU, motherboard, graphics, etc.
    P.S. Install a dictionary for your browser or use Chrome, it will help your spelling a lot.
    P.P.S. I have a NZXT case albeit a low end one - Source 210 Elite, and the quality of the fans is not very high. Bear this in mind, they might use better fans for their high end cases but still it is a thing to look for.
    Last edited by Stuen4y; 11-05-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I personally would have all my fans except CPU connected to a molex connection. That way I get a full 12v to my fans to keep the case nice and cool. However my fans are fairly silent so it is not noticeable.

Thread Information