Thread: Gigabyte MB SATA ports?????

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Gigabyte MB SATA ports?????

I've been trying to find this info on internet, but still not totally sure. I've got a Gigabyte(GA-Z68XP-UD3)MB. This weekend I want to install a new SSD(crucial M500 120GB 6Gb/s). Question>What does the colour coding of SATA ports on my MB signify? Four are BLUE(I believe these are for 6Gb/s). There is a White port(no idea!), and a Grey port(I think this is seperately controlled by a Marvell contoller). I need to connect; Crucial SSD(with my OS on it), OCZ 60GB SATA3(for backup,etc), a 2TB hard drive, an ICY box card reader, to the four ports. QUESTION>Which device should I connect to which SATA port, to get the best performance from each device? Thanks in advance, and excuse all the questions, next week after rebuild, I'll get back to my beloved SniperV2!!!!
    Last edited by drone567; 23-01-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Gigabyte MB SATA ports?????

The 2 white SATA ports should be SATA3 - labelled SATA3-0 and SATA3-1. The four blue SATA ports should be SATA2 - labelled SATA2-2, SATA2-3, SATA2-4 etc.

Plug the SATA3 devices into the white ports, SATA3-0 and SATA3-1 to utilise the speed (don't foget the SATA3 cable) and the rest into the SATA2 ports.

The grey ports should be for the Marvell controller.

Thread Information