Thread: Asrock Z87E-ITX Faulty?

Alistair

Asrock Z87E-ITX Faulty?

Last night while I was using my media PC it suddenly & without warning powered off. I was unable to get the PC to boot. I noticed that the rear USB ports were still receiving power as my mobile phone was charging. So it would appear that my Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G 450W PSU was OK.

I removed everything from the motherboard, case & rebuilt, still nothing. Tried individual sticks of RAM - nothing. Temperatures were OK, BIOS reported early 50oC for CPU temp when I built the system earlier in the week

My gut feeling is that the motherboard, which is only a matter of days old just died on me.

Any thoughts on this?

CPU is an i5 4400 84w Haswell
    2 x 4 GB Samsung Green DDR3
    Last edited by Alistair; 15-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Re: Asrock Z87E-ITX Faulty?

Without trying the individual parts it will be hard.

Step 01 - I would take the MoBo + CPU and try. Outside the case. Just bare components and PSU. If the MoBo beeps memory problem (or posts) you know the CPU and the MoBo are (or should be) OK.
    Step 02 - Next I would try MoBo + CPU + a stick of memory and keep trying memory modules till you can go past POST and enter BIOS. Outside the case. Just bare components and PSU.
    Step 03 - And so on.

If you can't get past step 1, then either obtain equipment to try and test the components involved (MoBo and CPU) or contact the retailer from who the MoBo (or CPU) was purchased, explain your situation and hope they will give you an sensible answer (like either refund and collect-and-replace).

But to be honest if the front USB still supply electricity and don't have additional power supplied directly from the PSU, I would assume that even the MoBo is all right. If it does have additional power supplied from the PSU directly (like a front panel) then you MoBo may be dead.

Good luck with the hunt and report back as soon you find something (additional) out

Alistair

I did diagnostic steps like you suggested prior to posting but didn't get anywhere

It was the rear usb on the motherboard that was working. I took the PSU into work today & tried it in a machine. However, it was an older setup so was only able to connect the 24 pin connection. It booted up, fan spinning on the PSU. I just don't know if the 8 pin motherboard connect is OK as I had no way of testing it. I did try the motherboard with a 160W pico PSU on Friday night. However, the pico only had a 4 pin motherboard 12v connector & not 8 pin like the Silverstone does. It didn't boot up with the pico 24 pin & 4 pin combo.

I bought the CPU & motherboard from Amazon so RMAed the board yesterday & am getting another tomorrow.

Hopefully this will resolve it

Alistair

New Motherboard & everything up & running OK

Thread Information