Thread: Strange temp problem with Asus P5KPL

Thanks

Strange temp problem with Asus P5KPL

I have an Asus P5KPL-AM motherboard and a C2D E6800 CPU. A blackout caused something in my motherboard to go off and the PC wouldn't start, but after taking it to the shop they told me it was nothing, they just did some simple thing, I don't know what exactly, and it was working again. They didn't even charge me for it.

The PC is working the same as before except 2 things. The BIOS was reset at some point, which I noticed because on startup the Asus splash screen appeared, which I had disabled in the BIOS. And the CPU temps are always 7C higher on idle and about 10C higher on load. I had been monitoring my temps over the past year with CoreTemp so I know well they're usual values.

The P5KPL BIOS is a downgraded version of the original P5K motherboards. It allows very little in the way of overclocking and changing the CPU core voltage. Yet it seems unavoidable that something changed in the BIOS that is now producing these much higher temps. I bought the motherboard as a component, and it's possible its BIOS was altered when I bought it, in a good way since it had been giving me notably lower temps for 4 years without any problem.

Thanks
    • starkyller's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E4600
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB
      • Storage:
      • Seagate SHDD1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 630 2gb ddr3
      • PSU:
      • 500w
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG D2342

Re: Strange temp problem with Asus P5KPL

Quote Originally Posted by derek odonell View Post
    I have an Asus P5KPL-AM motherboard and a C2D E6800 CPU. A blackout caused something in my motherboard to go off and the PC wouldn't start, but after taking it to the shop they told me it was nothing, they just did some simple thing, I don't know what exactly, and it was working again. They didn't even charge me for it.
    They must had the CMOS battery removed. it would explain the BIOS reset. See if you can get Bios updates in the asus website

Thanks

Re: Strange temp problem with Asus P5KPL

Interesting, thanks. The main issue though is the sudden big leap in CPU temp. My BIOS version is the same as before so that wasn't the cause.

Thread Information