Thread: Onboard graphics?

Registered+
    Thanks

Onboard graphics?

Hi,
    Looking at building a PC, and notice it has onboard graphics. Is this good enough for basic games, such as age of mythology and other 10 year old games for example? Should I just get a noviciate or Radeon?

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Re: Onboard graphics?

The onboard graphics is in the cpu these days and it all depends on whether you are looking at Intel or AMD. AMD's APU's have really strong graphics but are weaker on the cpu side. Intel are stronger on the cpu and weaker on the graphics side. Saying that, the onboard Intel graphics in my 4670k is surprisingly good but still a long way from AMD's onboard offerings. AMD's are considerably cheaper too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pastymuncher View Post
    The onboard graphics is in the cpu these days and it all depends on whether you are looking at Intel or AMD. AMD's APU's have really strong graphics but are weaker on the cpu side. Intel are stronger on the cpu and weaker on the graphics side. Saying that, the onboard Intel graphics in my 4670k is surprisingly good but still a long way from AMD's onboard offerings. AMD's are considerably cheaper too.
    I think FX CPUs don't have graphics, and some (all?) motherboards have integrated graphics

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I did say APU's. The FX series are not APU's. I believe the only AMD motherboards that have onboard graphics these days are the ones based on the 760G chipset which is ancient and uses HD3000 graphics. All of Intels onboard graphics and all of AMD's APU's onboard graphics are part of the cpu and are no longer on the motherboard. The motherboard still has the ports to connect to your monitor but the actual gpu is a part of the cpu. AMD's FX series and Intels socket 2011/2011v3 have no onboard graphics at all.

Op, what parts do you actually have?

Bagnaj97

I think we need a little more information. Do you want to play more recent games, but you're on a tight budget and happy to stick to older titles for the time being, or are you only planning to play older games?

What is your budget? Do you already have any parts?

Registered+
    Thanks

The APU onboard graphics are great, but Intel integrated graphics would run the at low setting and low resolutions

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi there,
    I've built it last night - Gigabyte z97M with intel 4690K. 8GB corsair vengeance.

only quickly played it with a couple of older steam games - FEAR at highest res, but would like the extra capability if needed to run some of the Steam sale impulse buys such as FSX and Civ5 at high res, as well as anything else that I get as I may go more PC than console.

budget not really an issue, but would prefer to stay under £75 for a graphics card, so Nvidia or AMD?

also does getting a card with DDR5 make a big difference over DDR3?

thanks!

Bagnaj97

Quote Originally Posted by dalcross View Post
    Hi there,
    I've built it last night - Gigabyte z97M with intel 4690K. 8GB corsair vengeance.

only quickly played it with a couple of older steam games - FEAR at highest res, but would like the extra capability if needed to run some of the Steam sale impulse buys such as FSX and Civ5 at high res, as well as anything else that I get as I may go more PC than console.

budget not really an issue, but would prefer to stay under £75 for a graphics card, so Nvidia or AMD?

also does getting a card with DDR5 make a big difference over DDR3?

thanks!
    GDDR5 makes a big difference over GDDR3, I'd also strongly recommend getting s 2G card over 1G.
    This is the cheapest 250x 2GB I could find - http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-250X-G...dp/B00TII3W1O/

But I'd try and stretch your budget a little more for a 260x 2GB (£90) or 750ti 2gb (£110).

If you don't mind a b-grade item, OCUK have this 270x 4GB card for £90 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...=595&catid=683 which seems a bit of a bargain! - aaand it's gone.
    Last edited by Bagnaj97; 25-06-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

thanks - as the 270x has gone, I like the look of the 750ti which is £100. qq - brandwise is there a general preference? looks like MSI, EVGA and gigabyte all do a 2GB 750ti for £100, so should I be looking at highest clock speed or vendor preference?

quick look at passmark for value cards shows 750s on top
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

thanks.

Bagnaj97

There's generally not a lot between manufacturers, I'd look more at the clockspeeds.
    The cheapest I've seen is a Zotac 750 Ti 2gb for £96.99 on ebuyer, at stock speeds.

If you want a factory overclocked card then the EVGA superclocked card seems to be best value: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-1176MHz...dp/B00IGQ4Z3S/
    The EVGA FTW edition is clocked higher still, but it's expensive.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

Ye not much difference between manufacturers. MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS and EVGA are thought to be the "Safe" manufacturers in that they are the most trusted, and for AMD throw Sapphire in there. That said I've used other cards in the past, a Palit GTX 650 and a PNY 9800GT and they both still work today, I actually sold the 9800 GT on Ebay quite recently.

It mostly comes down to clock difference as has been said, but theres a bit of an extra sense of security buying from the big 4 (EVGA/Sapphire interchangeable for Nvidia/AMD) that you pay the price premium for.

Thread Information