Thread: Slow POST and Rest when booting from cold

Registered+
    Thanks

Slow POST and Rest when booting from cold

Hi All,

Weird problem, I don't know whats causing it, so hopefully someone may be able to help

About 12 months ago, did a new build, had a small issue where it would reset at post when switching on, and then next boot it would be fine, but it stopped after 1 day, so wasn't too worried.

Cue fiasco yesterday.

New HDD for windows 10....

I started getting very slow POST (10 seconds before the beep), and it started to reset once when powering from cold. Resets and then works fine.

Just wondering before I start stripping it down, does anyone have any ideas.

I have removed the new HDD, and the problem remains, and I have made sure everything else is seated correctly, and I have reset and updated the BIOS

Its a gigabyte z97x Gaming 3, I5 4670k and 8GB of corsair RAM.
    550w Corsair Builder PSU
    Gigabyte G1 970
    SoundBlaster zx
    Edimax Wifi card

Plus 3x HDD and a Blu Ray

It passes all the stress tests/prime 95 I can throw at it, its just this slow post and reset issue that's driving me crazy!

I don't want to throw another £100 on a new mobo if I can help it, especially if its something I'm missing.

If no one has any immediate ideas, I'm going to strip it down to bare bones, use the onboard GFX and see how long it posts then!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Slow POST and Rest when booting from cold

I would start with running memtest86. Free program, download as an ISO and burn to CD (often comes a a boot option on Linux install DVDs if you have one handy).

Do you have some spare parts to swap out with? Weird stuff usually gets me swapping out the PSU to see if that helps.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I would start with running memtest86. Free program, download as an ISO and burn to CD (often comes a a boot option on Linux install DVDs if you have one handy).

Do you have some spare parts to swap out with? Weird stuff usually gets me swapping out the PSU to see if that helps.
    Done the memtest, everything passes perfectly - its very strange.

So I swapped around the monitors (i have 2) and one powers up quite slow - and lo and behold the POST delay went. Its now quick as it was before - which is just plain weird.

The only issue I have left, is when the PC is switched on from cold, it gets to the BIOS, tries to POST and resets and POSTS perfectly works like a dream!

Prime95 runs for hours and its all fine - its just this POST - I wish i could see where it was failing!

Is there anyway to see like back in the old days, where it did memtest, HDD detection etc etc etc?

Registered+
    Thanks

I had a problem like this on a MUCH older PC. It turned out it was a bad bios setting and it was failing the first POST and then resetting with defaults but it would do it every time. Maybe you could try clearing the CMOS using the 2 pins on your mobo and a jumper or a flat head screwdriver to reset your BIOS settings.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thnx all, sorted!

Thread Information