Thread: What do you think Intel is going to do about Asrock circumventing their Non-K OC

Registered+
    Thanks

What do you think Intel is going to do about Asrock circumventing their Non-K OC

As you may or may not know Asrock has found a way to circumvention OC restrictions on their Non-K cpus(again). More Info: http://www.techpowerup.com/220703/as...bclk-oc-limits

Could they sue Asrock?
    Could they cut ties?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: What do you think Intel is going to do about Asrock circumventing their Non-K OC

I am pretty sure that this is just what everyone was already doing with their z170 boards, all that they have done is brought that to a couple of their h170 and b150 boards.

I believe I also read that this disables the power saving features on the cards.

I don't think Intel will care or do a thing.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: What do you think Intel is going to do about Asrock circumventing their Non-K OC

Quote Originally Posted by Dayks View Post
    I don't think Intel will care or do a thing.
    I don't think you know Intel very well. I suspect ASRock will quietly put out an update that removes the functionality before they suffer from unfortunate restocking problems and long lead times for Intel components.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I don't think you know Intel very well. I suspect ASRock will quietly put out an update that removes the functionality before they suffer from unfortunate restocking problems and long lead times for Intel components.
    Yep, that is exactly what I would expect. No direct retaliation, just a note to say that motherboard chipsets are currently in short supply, and their allocation is currently 50% of what they asked for. The legal system is far too slow for something like this.

It will be interesting if motherboards all go the way of FM1 boards, where the CPU is an SoC and there isn't a supporting chipset. I wonder if Intel will keep using some sort of external silicon that they can call a chipset even when it doesn't make sense just to keep some control over motherboard production, kind of like a hardware dongle.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    ... It will be interesting if motherboards all go the way of FM1 boards, where the CPU is an SoC and there isn't a supporting chipset. I wonder if Intel will keep using some sort of external silicon that they can call a chipset even when it doesn't make sense just to keep some control over motherboard production, kind of like a hardware dongle.
    I'm pretty sure they will for desktop - they'll chop something out of the SoC so you need to hang an extra chip off the DMI link. It'll not only help them to keep control, they'll also have something else to make a profit on!

Thanks

Is there any official response from intel? or even what do they tell when it come to possible sanctions...
    I know they want to be innovative, but intel is someone you don't to have your name in their black list.

Registered+
    Thanks

Last I checked that feature had been removed by ASRock with a BIOS update, not sure how they've distributed it but fairly certain it affects all boards no matter what you do about downloading the BIOS or not yourself, kind of sad to see an innovation like that get taken out by a business model.

Thread Information