Thread: Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula I/O Shield and Mounting Issue!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Daheelah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAXIMUS V FORMULA
      • CPU:
      • i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 NVMe, Samsung 500GB 860 EVO, 2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 SATA3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base PRO900 Blk rev2 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 55in Smart Curved TV

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula I/O Shield and Mounting Issue!

Hello,

If this issue has already been discussed here, I have not found it so please just direct me to it.

I am in the process of carrying out a new build and have encountered an issue fitting a Maximus XI Formula board into a be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2.

When I have the mobo I/O shield pushed flush and hard against the case I/O panel, I have found that the board still needs to move a further 2mm-3mm (approx) for the mounting holes to line up with the standoffs. I am extremely relauctant to apply more force to the board for obvious reasons, and even if the holes were to line up with the extra force applied, I feel there will be excessive pre-stress on the board. Yes the mobo has a strong backplate, but the mounting interface is with the board and not the backplate.

I have never encountered this before, and this is my first board with a pre-installed I/O shield.
    An online research reveals that some folk have encountered similar issues with their builds using various Asus boards with pre-installed I/O shields, and though they each report that their issue was resolved, I have yet to come across a solution that is/was not at best a temporaly fix, and I choose not to try any of those on my mobo.

If anyone has encountered this or a similar issue, I would please like to know how you resolved it?. If not, I am open to suggestions.

Thank y'all in advance.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Daheelah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MAXIMUS V FORMULA
      • CPU:
      • i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 NVMe, Samsung 500GB 860 EVO, 2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 SATA3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base PRO900 Blk rev2 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 55in Smart Curved TV

Re: Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula I/O Shield and Mounting Issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Daheelah View Post
    Hello,

If this issue has already been discussed here, I have not found it so please just direct me to it.

I am in the process of carrying out a new build and have encountered an issue fitting a Maximus XI Formula board into a be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2.

When I have the mobo I/O shield pushed flush and hard against the case I/O panel, I have found that the board still needs to move a further 2mm-3mm (approx) for the mounting holes to line up with the standoffs. I am extremely relauctant to apply more force to the board for obvious reasons, and even if the holes were to line up with the extra force applied, I feel there will be excessive pre-stress on the board. Yes the mobo has a strong backplate, but the mounting interface is with the board and not the backplate.

I have never encountered this before, and this is my first board with a pre-installed I/O shield.
    An online research reveals that some folk have encountered similar issues with their builds using various Asus boards with pre-installed I/O shields, and though they each report that their issue was resolved, I have yet to come across a solution that is/was not at best a temporaly fix, and I choose not to try any of those on my mobo.

If anyone has encountered this or a similar issue, I would please like to know how you resolved it?. If not, I am open to suggestions.

Thank y'all in advance.
    Heilo again,

Just letting y'all know that I successfully installed the motherboard in place.
    It turned out to be not much of an issue, just a tight fit.

The "solution", in this instance was simply a matter of patiently and somewhat gently applying the right amount of evenly distributed force generally towards the I/O panel.
    At least two close-fitting mandrels (screwdriver shafts) were simultaneously inserted into the stand-off holes and minimum distance of one stand-off apart. Then taking great care not to damage the screw threads, the mandrels were used to gently lever, wiggle and guide the board until it located onto the guide-post stand-off. The screw holes were next lined up in turn and the screws loosely inserted. An extra pair of hands was required to insert the screws as they came into alignment, and finally tightened.

It may seem like too much fuss on my part, but I am meticulous like that.

Thank you for reading.

Thread Information