Thread: X570 Vs B550 Itx formats

Thanks

X570 Vs B550 Itx formats

Given that the X570 has additional pci-e lanes rated at pci-e 4.0 and the fact ITX only by default and design only had the GPI slot and an m.2 (possibly 2) is there really any need to go X570 over B550 on this format? Is there anything glaringly obvious that I have missed ?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Re: X570 Vs B550 Itx formats

I was looking at this months ago before I settled on an Aurus x570 iTX board, the only real advantage for me would have been the B550 board having 2.5Gb ethernet, however the x570 did have better CPU compatibility (at the time, not sure if BIOS updates have solved that one) and I was planning on running a 3400G so needed compatibility on that level more than I needed faster LAN..

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I wouldn't buy any of the Gigabyte mini-ITX motherboards - I was looking at changing out my Asus B450I Strix for one of them because there seem to be some decent deals for them,but after reading a lot of user reviews there seems to be a ton of issues with them,ie,ethernet issues and random issues with the Bluetooth and USB ports. This might be partially supported by the fact,that there seemed to be loads of Gigabyte B550 mini-ITX motherboards on the last Amazon Warehouse clearance sales.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I was looking at this months ago before I settled on an Aurus x570 iTX board, the only real advantage for me would have been the B550 board having 2.5Gb ethernet, however the x570 did have better CPU compatibility (at the time, not sure if BIOS updates have solved that one) and I was planning on running a 3400G so needed compatibility on that level more than I needed faster LAN..
    I guess the question then is, does the fan ever come on?

Not having a chipset fan seems even more important on an ITX build. You'd think since most of the TPU of the X570 board seems to be due to running more PCIe 4.0 slots, that in an ITX board it would never get hot enough for the fan to come on.

Thanks

I've never really noticed the fan noise, either because it doesn't come on or its deathly quiet.

One has a Samsung 250Gb NVME under it, the other an MP600 so both will vary from a drive temp POV, the Samsung drive is in the server in the living room, the other, to be fair is still in a mATX case at the mo as I haven't decided what I'm going to do on that front.

Thanks

I think the B550 compatibility is much better now from what I have read and after checking bios revisions this would seem to be the case.

I've got an 3400G to throw in temporarily with an 3060ti to make a small 1440p system for gaming on the cheap and space limit that comes with losing an office to a new born.

Im having an office built but transplanting the 5900x and the 3080ti from the main system into the new "temp" system I feel is a bit pointless as I'll not be running my G9. The better half won't approve of that in the living room I can assure you.

With all of this in mind, would it even be worth saving a chunk and getting the B450i from gigabyte as it's around £90? I can throw an 5600x in there and call it done at that point. Will be easy to move on once I'm done with it too I'd have thought.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Its more about the Gigabyte B550I,than B550 in general - looking on Amazon and Newegg there are still niggles it appears! TBF,I haven't checked if the X570 one is affected - it might be fine TBF!

But there is another issue which does affect the Gigabyte and MSI mini-ITX motherboards - the socket placement which is actually pushed upwards. With some cases such as the NCase M1,it can cause cooler conflicts with the top of the case so you will need to check compatibility. The Asus and ASRock motherboards have more centrally placed sockets,so seem less affected.

WRT to the B450 mini-ITX motherboards,only two actually had really decent CPU VRMs - the MSI and Asus ones. My mate has the Gigabyte B450I and the VRMs ran a bit toasty with a slightly tweaked Ryzen 7 3700X in an Elite 130.However,its SOC section is reasonably solid so its better for an APU than a CPU apparently. However,a Ryzen 5 5600X is very taxing at all,so should be fine but you loose PCI-E 4.0! However,AFAIK only the MSI supports flashing of the BIOS without a CPU,so you do need to check the B450 motherboards have the latest BIOSes already installed.

The ASRock B550M-ITX/ac is around £110~£120 and has 50A power stages AFAIK. There is an A520 version which seems almost identical,but OFC you loose PCI-E 4.0,so its like a B450 motherboard.

Also have you considered a Core i5 10400F/10400? Power consumption is similar to a Ryzen 5 3600,and performance is generally better with 3200MHZ DDR4. B560/H570 mini-ITX motherboards also seem decently priced too.

Thanks

Well I ended up getting the gigabyte b550i. It doesn't work with the 3400G apparently but it's installed on the off chance and it works even though it isn't supported and says as such on the box.

I also got a b450i just in case from gigabyte and decided to keep the both of them. The kids have an 3200G and a B450i now.. I have an 3400G as a temp chip on the b550i with a 3060ti and couldn't be happier with it.

Playing WoW at 4k no issues which was a welcome suprise. May not even bother with the 5600x at this point as it's seemingly more than up to the task.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moore View Post
    It doesn't work with the 3400G apparently but it's installed on the off chance and it works even though it isn't supported and says as such on the box.
    Interesting to hear. I tried a 2200G in a B550 board (an Asrock I think) and it booted and seemed to run OK as long as I left the RAM at default speed. Any attempt to set the BIOS to use it at 3200MHz made it fail to boot. So it was sort of working, but clearly had some niggles and I wondered if it had just never been tested and debugged.
    The 3600 CPU the machine was going to run with turned up the next day, so I didn't push things any further.

Thanks

Small update, the guy side of the 3400G doesn’t work very well so perhaps that’s why they don’t claim to support it. The cpu side however is working a treat.

3400G won’t allow for windows 11 upgrade though (not that I will until later down the line) so moving over to a 5 series chip is on the cards me thinks.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

I looked at this a week or two back and concluded that there was no point in going X570 so opted for the Asus Strix B550-I which is waiting for the arrival of a sexy new 5950X to round it out.

Thread Information