• HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: The Anime Thread :)

Ok still cannot remember it, but it'll drive me nuts untill I do

Here's one that's not on your list:

Starship Operators - space opera, a bunch of raw recruits decide they'll not surrender when there home system is invdaed and declare them selves governmnet in exlie, but to only way they can manage this is by letting a major galaxtic tv station turn there struggles into a 24hour news/reality tv show.
    Sounds crazy but is quite good.

Witch hunter Robin - another I've not yet finished (long), a modern day secret inquesition set to hunt down the supernatural, but with so much going on behind the scenes.

Outlawstar - another older one, so the art work is rather dated, still good though,

Gundam igLoo - it's gundam but not as you might know it, very short 6 epsoids in total, these are computer 3d animation, set dureing the original 0079 but from the Principality of Zeon instead of the Earth federation)
    Simular to both 0080 and The 8th MS team as stories taking place dureing the original war of the original timeline of 0079 but not involving Gundam or White base / battleship freedom

Gunparade March, mecha + high school, think a combo of BlueGender and Neon Genesis Evangelion, earth being slowly overrun by alien/mutated/monsters/thingies, to defend against them they train highschool students to pilot mecha (although not massive super powerfull ones)

EDIT: just remembered the name of the one I was thinking of xXxHolic
    That so sounds like some henti p0rn, but it's not, a couple of bits of fan service is as close as it gets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XxxHolic

EDIT2: I've also got a fairly rare one on VCD, Eatman which is just a wonderfully odd post apocalyptical series, unfortunately there was no english dub/sub ever made (not even fansub to my knowledge) the one I have is in 4.0 stereo with the front channels in original japanese, rear in mandarin and subtitals in cantonese (or the mandarin and cantonese might be the other way around)
    I really wish there was an english version as it's such a bizzar story you cannot just follow it from the animation alone

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

And today New Dominion Tank Police RoxorZ my BoxorZ
    Only a quid in a charity shop. Result.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    And today New Dominion Tank Police RoxorZ my BoxorZ
    Only a quid in a charity shop. Result.
    Oh man I have the VHSs somewhere, it was such a funny spoof of so many other shows and films.
    I love out of control super HGV episode.

Watched the Death Note Live Action films, they were ok and the only way I could get my non-reading/non-anime watching friend to see the story.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Bah the original 4 epsoides where great, when they finally revived with a new art team, they just didn't get it. I was dissapointed, but for £1 bargin

EDIT: following C&D requests xXxHolic fansub's have been removed, real shame as there's still no known plans to release english dub/sub, rights have been bought, but it's currently looking like it'll just sit on someones books, listed as an asset but never to see the light of day again.
    I so hate that.

Thanks

Yep...quite a few titles will sit on someone's shelf...which is always a shame. I still have an annoyance with official stuff as the translations tend to be either subtitled for the english dub and/or remove any cultural jokes ie play on words/puns etc. Sure they don't make sense translated but at least it's not as weird as inserting some US saying in there.

xXxholic has been licensed for yonks... :/

The thing with WHR is that, I don't really remember much of it. I can add it to the list but is it more of a drama or action anime?

Outlaw star was quite forgettable for me - not sure why though...probably the same reason why Scryed is forgettable to.

I'll see if I can find anything about Starship Operators. Again, if I add it, what genre?

Reminds me, there is a series called Starship Troopers (nothing to do with the Hollywood movies) and from what I remember it was quite good.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

If you mean the starship troopers 3d computer graphics cartoon it was very good, have it on dvd
    But that's a US thing I think you mean the anime one, think I've seen it although I cannot remember much about it.

Starship Operators, I'd say action, it is very much classic anime space opera, just the added twist of the reality TV show subplot.

Another mecha one for you Soukou No Strain, action, earth is at war with what seems to be robot hexagons with tenticals. earth's secret weapon is children with Strain's, a Strain being a sort of symbiotic computer, lose you're strain and you cannot pilot the super mecha and all you can do a pilot a basic thing and be used as a mobile turret/cannon fodder.
    Story of a girl who follows in the footsteps of her brother into space as a Strain pilot, but during an attack loses her Strain, still determined to follow her brother, she enroles as a basic pilot to get into space.
    It does not go well and no one likes her, then she some how manages to bond with an unbondable Strain and can fight again against the robots/aliens, but now they too have a Strain . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    If you mean the starship troopers 3d computer graphics cartoon it was very good, have it on dvd
    But that's a US thing I think you mean the anime one, think I've seen it although I cannot remember much about it.

Starship Operators, I'd say action, it is very much classic anime space opera, just the added twist of the reality TV show subplot.

Another mecha one for you Soukou No Strain, action, earth is at war with what seems to be robot hexagons with tenticals. earth's secret weapon is children with Strain's, a Strain being a sort of symbiotic computer, lose you're strain and you cannot pilot the super mecha and all you can do a pilot a basic thing and be used as a mobile turret/cannon fodder.
    Story of a girl who follows in the footsteps of her brother into space as a Strain pilot, but during an attack loses her Strain, still determined to follow her brother, she enroles as a basic pilot to get into space.
    It does not go well and no one likes her, then she some how manages to bond with an unbondable Strain and can fight again against the robots/aliens, but now they too have a Strain . . .
    Souken no strain - I'll look that one up!

Starship Troopers is a 6 part OAV and is an adapation of a book of the same name.

Right now am watching Nogizaka Haruko no Himitsu ~Purezza~, not bad so far...not quite to the humour standard of season 1.
    A quick run down of the show: Nogizaka Haruka is the school idol; perfect in every way however she has a secret...she's really an Otaku and the secret is spilled one day to a boy named Yuuto. Will he keep her secret?

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Ahh yes I've found the starship troopers you're on about
    Uchu no Senshi
    you can find it on youtube

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is marmite; some people love it, others hate it. Give it a whirl and see what ya think.
    Like Marmite, love it, now one of my faves along with the anarchic PaniPoni Dash
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks

Thoroughly enjoying To Aru Kagaku no Railgun at the moment. Seems to be a prequel or alternative story arc to To Aru Majutsu no Index.
    Also enjoying (if that's the right word, cos it's a pretty bleak view of humanity) Armed Librarians: The book of Bantorra.
    Other ones I'm enjoying at the moment are Nyan Koi and the frantic Needless.
    Thought I'd watch InuYasha before watching InuYasha:The Final Act and it's really good.
    Elfen Lied was amazing, but the usual happened - the week after I bought it for £24 on Amazon, it dropped to £18 Grrrrrrrrr.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

I've just finished Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Story of two children trying to get back home across Tokyo after a mgnitude 8 earthquake.
    It's a drama and very good, comes very close to grave of the fireflies for being very good but also very harrowing at the same time.

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

Quote Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    Thoroughly enjoying To Aru Kagaku no Railgun at the moment. Seems to be a prequel or alternative story arc to To Aru Majutsu no Index.
    Also enjoying (if that's the right word, cos it's a pretty bleak view of humanity) Armed Librarians: The book of Bantorra.
    Other ones I'm enjoying at the moment are Nyan Koi and the frantic Needless.
    Thought I'd watch InuYasha before watching InuYasha:The Final Act and it's really good.
    Elfen Lied was amazing, but the usual happened - the week after I bought it for £24 on Amazon, it dropped to £18 Grrrrrrrrr.
    Been enjoying Needless quite a bit, very unexpected developments at times and lots of pantsu

Thanks

I watched Darker than Black season 1. It's not a bad series; the biggest down point I have ith it is the disjointed nature of the plot. The way the story is told by missions make the show feel very clunky - every 2 episodes is a new mission so felt very prescribed.

Blurb:
    Ten years ago, a bizarre phenomenon appeared in Tokyo. Three days later, two types of humans with supernatural abilities appeared: emotionless 'dolls' that only do what they're 'programmed' to and wield the ability of surveillance, and powerful 'contractors', feared and hated by the humans that know of their existence. Rationally self-preserving and without the feeling of guilt, it's not long before contractors are used as ideal assassins and weapons of war.

Unable to analyze the phenomenon that created these beings safely, it's decided that a huge wall be built around it, called "Hell's Gate." PANDORA, an international research group, protects this wall and analyzes what little they can, while the government struggles to suppress dangerous contractors and the publics' knowledge of them.

In all the police force's efforts and doll-assisted surveillance of the city, one contractor continues to evade them. 'BK201', as the police force knows him, stands out as an exceptional killer, while those in the syndicate who know him as 'Hei' see him as a powerful, yet strangely irrational contractor...

My own thoughts on Li/Hei/BK201 is he is a great character. He slips between being the exchange student called Li and his alter ego (the Grim Reaper) "Hei" with great ease, literally being able to switch off all emotions.

Watching season 2 at the moment and it's a nice change of pace. Suou is getting slightly annoying but I hope it's just a "phase" she is going through.

[Spoiler]
    I hope Hei gets his powers back...he needs to really kick ass again
    [/Spoiler]

Thanks

From elsewhere on the forum that I posted:

Fancy going back to some violence and bloody vampire action? well in January 2010 comes "Dance In The Vampire Bund" - the trailer of which i saw, has blood and it conquers

Here is the homepage Vampure Bund and trailer can be seen here Anime News Network

Personally I can't wait!

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

I should start watching Anime's now I have loads of free time!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    I should start watching Anime's now I have loads of free time!
    Got any idea what you want to start watching?

Thread Information