Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30% of British households don't own a book.

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Re: 30% of British households don't own a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    Whats a book? i dont own any other than the Motherboard manuals i keep for no reason as i have never read one.
    No recipe books? No random autobiography, hobby/interest books or other crappy light reading someone gave as a present and you threw on a shelf somewhere? No copy of the Guinness book of records or an encyclopedia or something you got just because it was cheap or it came free with a newspaper?

Even if they don't get read I find it hard to believe most people haven't got something tucked away somewhere.

Lurking since 06
    Thanks
    • Mama Sumae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B - deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2 duo 6300 O'c @ 3.1 Mhz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB XMS2 6400 C4 @ 890Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 GB /sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti oc - 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)

I blame apple.

Why be an obnoxious idiot regarding your reading habits when you can simply own the latest MacBook Pro.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

For me, e-books and 'proper' books both have their place. I'm an e-book fan, but they will not replace actual paper books, or at least, not entirely.

Having said that, I'm one of those that actually went out and bought a customised database package, just to keep track of my book collection, not just what I've got but where it is. Put it this way - I've got a large shelf (and a bit) on cookery books alone, and the same again on art. And if you put those together and triple it, you'd be somewhere near the computer book section. And put all that together, and it's a drop in the ocean compared to the fiction books. I measure my fiction books by yards of shelf, and I'm up to a decent-sized number of yards, too.

Oh, and a Dickens collection that the man himself could have (but sadly, didn't) sign, because they're contemporaneous with him ... and a complete set of Shakespeare older than that.

Also, if I'm not sleeping or working, there's a pretty good chance you'll find me with my nose in a book. A nice, quiet room, a comfortable chair, the music on in the background, a drink in one hand and a good book in the other - if heaven exists and I go there, that's what I'm expecting to find it looks like.

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I would go stark, raving mad if I didn't read. I love books, I love to read. One of my favourite things is to eat a meal and read, I've loved doing that since I was a nipper, even though it's considered rude.

I keep my books and re-read them, getting rid of one is a big decision as I may come back to it at some point.

I find the idea of households with nothing to read both depressing and baffling, tbh...

5. Received thanks from:

DavidM (05-12-2011)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    I would go stark, raving mad if I didn't read. I love books, I love to read. One of my favourite things is to eat a meal and read, I've loved doing that since I was a nipper, even though it's considered rude.

I keep my books and re-read them, getting rid of one is a big decision as I may come back to it at some point.

I find the idea of households with nothing to read both depressing and baffling, tbh...
    Bear in mind, some people find it easy to read, some finder it hard and for some, it's a huge struggle. A relative of mine is dyslexic, and while she reads, it's much harder work than it is for me. Then, some are more literate than others, and some simply have less available and disposable time, or chose to use it another way, like going to the pub, or the gym. etc.

I don't find the non-readers baffling, though I couldn't do it and I do think they're missing out hugely. They'd probably think I'm missing out on the gym and/or pub. I guess it's all about perceptions, perspective and preferences.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

It makes me sad that when my kids grow up they won't read books anymore. Everyone will be using ebooks etc.

To be honest I do not buy books anymore. I loan them from the library or buy second hand and then just donate them to a charity shop. I'm approaching a more minimal lifestyle......

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Bear in mind, some people find it easy to read, some finder it hard and for some, it's a huge struggle. A relative of mine is dyslexic, and while she reads, it's much harder work than it is for me. Then, some are more literate than others, and some simply have less available and disposable time, or chose to use it another way, like going to the pub, or the gym. etc.

I don't find the non-readers baffling, though I couldn't do it and I do think they're missing out hugely. They'd probably think I'm missing out on the gym and/or pub. I guess it's all about perceptions, perspective and preferences.
    All valid points but I do wonder what the proportion of those households mentioned represent reading difficulties/dyslexia as opposed to.. I don't know.. preference/choice/apathy/indifference...? This is referencing households, so I imagine the average is more than one person? This suggests to me that there are whole families who don't own a single book. Presumably this would include kids of school age? That's what I find particularly depressing/baffling with this.

I wonder also, how many of those households have an online reading habit? Do they browse websites or various forums instead of books?

In all honesty, feel I have chuff all spare time but I make room for books and exercise and the pub (occasionally) too! Most of my quality reading time is done before sleep - though it's sometimes a bad idea as I plan to do a 10-20 minute read and find that I've got lost in whichever world I'm reading about and it's gone to 1-2 hours and it's late...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    Whats a book? i dont own any other than the Motherboard manuals i keep for no reason as i have never read one.
    with a name like Pancake, I fail to believe you don't own a cookery book.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

10. Received thanks from:

Terbinator (08-02-2012)

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky123 View Post
    No recipe books? No random autobiography, hobby/interest books or other crappy light reading someone gave as a present and you threw on a shelf somewhere? No copy of the Guinness book of records or an encyclopedia or something you got just because it was cheap or it came free with a newspaper?

Even if they don't get read I find it hard to believe most people haven't got something tucked away somewhere.
    I honestly dont own one, why bother when i can get all the info i need off the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    with a name like Pancake, I fail to believe you don't own a cookery book.
    I memorized the recipe yearrrsss ago

12. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (06-12-2011)

Thanks
    • riding moon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage Extreme
      • Memory:
      • DDR3 2000 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Raid 5
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 4670

I try not to own books and is there enough time for me to relax and take one one, occasionally yes. I travel around far too much and I personally want to free myself of tangible objects. So ereader if perfect for me.

Thanks
    • doyll49's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • I7 980 @ 3.5GHz; PH-TC14PE; 2x TR TY-147 ducted out back
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Ballistix Sport GB (3x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 2x750GB, 2x1.5TB, 2x2.0TB 1 of each is backu0p
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX DC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650 v2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R2; 3x TY-140 all PWM controlled by CPU socket PWM signal
      • Operating System:
      • Win XP Pro... thinking about Win 7

30% don't own a book.

Yeah.

Chickens have lips.

Pigs fly.

Thanks
    • Pilgrim_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q
      • CPU:
      • Q9550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800gt 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Hiper type R 580w
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24"

That is something I actually miss is my bookcase that's now at my parents. Still got a book stash but its not the same as having a good old bookcase to look over.

Thanks
    • RichieLee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A7L
      • CPU:
      • AMD fx6300
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix 16GB 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120GB SSD, Crucial m4 128gb ssd, 2TB Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI twin frozr 7950
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 550w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li K60
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7 64bit home premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • E2260 LG 21.5"

I cant fathom how it could be that 30% of households dont own a single book, you kidding me?

As much as I like the concept of e-readers they still dont replace books for me and I dont believe they will ever truely supercede books. I have a shelf crammed with books covering, arts, Sciences, various fiction, Haynes manuals, and all sorts!

Maybe I'll be called a romanticist and closed-minded, but you cant beat the ritual and tactility of a real book.

Thanks

I haven't stopped to read a book since I left school, I read for university purposes but it's not really enjoyable. I really want to get into autobiographies, mainly of sporting personalities and possibly some sci-fi, maybe the Halo books (I'm a gamer).

Registered+
    Thanks

I cant imagine being without books to be honest.

There is nothing more relaxing than lying by the pool somewhere with a throwaway novel that you aren't worried whether it gets suntan lotion, water, sand or whatever dropped all over it. Something that I just wouldn't feel comfortable subjecting an E-Reader to!

One of the things I like to do is to go through the shelves of the charity shops trying to search out a bargain for £1-£2. Its just not the same clicking on a buy button on some EBook store.

I have always got enjoyment from books, starting from The Village with three corner books when I was at primary school. I can still recall the names of the characters from those books now at the age of 34 and I just wonder if the same will be said when all the kids start to read from an E-Reader in the future.

Its the same thing as when people ask "What was the first record or CD you bought?" It sticks in your mind as it was a physical object you could hold and enjoy. If you were asked "What was the first MP3 you bought?" would you remember it as easily?

Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef View Post
    I cant imagine being without books to be honest.

There is nothing more relaxing than lying by the pool somewhere with a throwaway novel that you aren't worried whether it gets suntan lotion, water, sand or whatever dropped all over it. Something that I just wouldn't feel comfortable subjecting an E-Reader to!

One of the things I like to do is to go through the shelves of the charity shops trying to search out a bargain for £1-£2. Its just not the same clicking on a buy button on some EBook store.

I have always got enjoyment from books, starting from The Village with three corner books when I was at primary school. I can still recall the names of the characters from those books now at the age of 34 and I just wonder if the same will be said when all the kids start to read from an E-Reader in the future.

Its the same thing as when people ask "What was the first record or CD you bought?" It sticks in your mind as it was a physical object you could hold and enjoy. If you were asked "What was the first MP3 you bought?" would you remember it as easily?
    128MB Technika in black
    Upgraded to a 256 same model but grey
    Got a 1GB one in black after that
    Then got a 1GB I-Media with built in battery
    Then it was up to a 2GB Ipod shuffle
    Then it was a 4GB ipod nano red
    Then i used my HTC desire with 16GB microSD, then a 32
    now im using my HTC EVO 3D with the 32, and now a 64GB SDXC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information