Thread: Guitar folks - do you understand Gibson model range?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Guitar folks - do you understand Gibson model range?

Does anyone out there claim an understanding of the Gibson product lines. I know that Epiphone is Gibbo's "budget" brand but the huge range of models is darned confusing. Especially when you start factoring in the Gibson "Junior" models like the LPJ and SGJ.

I've got an Epiphone LPJ at the moment which, if I understand rightly, is the lowest of the low - both in cost and quality.

Now I really fancy the idea of a SG model for Christmas (big AC/DC fan, even though I can't play well) but I've no idea what to start hinting to SWMBO to get. Epiphone do full-on SG models, (like the G-400), but are these "worse" than, say, the Gibson SGJ which appears to be about the same price.

A full-on SG is definitely a no-no since that's over a grand.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-07-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: language

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: Guitar folks - do you understand Gibson model range?

Nah. Go buy from a British Brand instead.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Gibson's and Epi's product lines have been so confusing for some time now that even Fender Stratocasters induce less head scratching when you try and find the differences between them, especially once they started doing a limited edition every month so I can sympathise!

First thing's first, by LPJ do mean a Les Paul Jr?

Like this -

If so, I'd rule out an Epiphone SG Jr or a G310 as they won't be a huge step up in build quality or tone for you, unless you're going for a new axe purely for a different look they'd be slightly redundant BUT - cheap guitars are still always worth trying because you can find a gem. My number two (snickers abound) is a Squier signature model Strat from nearly ten years ago. It feels right, it sounds right and it's stayed with me while I've sold guitars on worth three times as much in the meantime.

I've owned lower end Gibson SG's, in fact, I sold my old worn cherry "faded" series SG on these very boards many, many moons ago! They're good, no frills versions of the guitar you secretly really want (the standard) but the quality control isn't what it should be so you have to go play a few to find a good one. Then you have to set aside any desire for block inlays and bound necks...

I've got a "custom shop" Epiphone G400 SG at the moment and I actually prefer it over the faded Gibson SG I just mentioned. Mostly because it was a limited run model with an EMG Zakk Wylde pick-up set... Which I prefer over stock Gibson/Epi units and because I'm a sucker for alpine white guitars but it's got a slightly slimmer neck, the build quality is just as good as the low end Gibson I had and because it was a limited edition "guitar of the month" it only set me back three hundred notes.

If you can get away from wanting a Gibson or an SG (because good as they are, you are paying a little for the name) there are plenty of other great brands putting out dual humbucker guitars that are better specced and still in your price range too. It all depends how much you wanna look like Angus ;-)

4. Received thanks from:

crossy (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    First thing's first, by LPJ do mean a Les Paul Jr?
    Yep, that's the exact one I've got - seems pretty good (to my cloth ear ) and seems to keep tune reasonably well.
    I've got a "custom shop" Epiphone G400 SG at the moment and I actually prefer it over the faded Gibson SG I just mentioned. Mostly because it was a limited run model with an EMG Zakk Wylde pick-up set... Which I prefer over stock Gibson/Epi units and because I'm a sucker for alpine white guitars but it's got a slightly slimmer neck, the build quality is just as good as the low end Gibson I had and because it was a limited edition "guitar of the month" it only set me back three hundred notes.
    Ta - the G400 looked like a good "second string" and the reviews I've read so far seemed to be pretty complimentary, especially that a "good one" could punch well above it's price.
    If you can get away from wanting a Gibson or an SG (because good as they are, you are paying a little for the name) there are plenty of other great brands putting out dual humbucker guitars that are better specced and still in your price range too. It all depends how much you wanna look like Angus ;-)
    This is going to sound weird perhaps, but I wasn't much bothered about getting a "Gibson" as such, and it was more the design of the SG that appealed - thinking that the symetrical arrangement around the higher frets might make it a bit easier for a ham fisted novice like me. Of course the tonal differences and lighter weight (reputedly) of the SG v's the LP are also attractive.

And no, I wouldn't dream of trying to copy Mr Young...

Thanks for the info, I'll keep looking - e.g. someone sent me a link for an Ibanez JS100. Also a big Satch fan, so if I'm into "hero worship" then that's got to be a contender. Although joking aside, that - like the G400 - gets some reasonable reviews.

And the red might suit the rosewood flooring in the "practice room" quite nicely.

Many thanks for taking the time out to reply... I'd donate a beer if I could.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • fatguy666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-G45
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4.3
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Crucial 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Sandisk SSD, 500GB + 1.5TB + 3TB + 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte WF3 780 TI OC @ stock
      • PSU:
      • 600w Silent Pro Gold
      • Case:
      • CM690 II Advanced Black & White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 21" IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100

I've got an Ibanez that I paid nearly £500 for even though I'm not a great player. Put strings on it that were too heavy and decided to muck about with the truss rod and that, it's been sitting unused in a cupboard for 2 years!

Stuck with my trusty old Epiphone G310.

Thanks

I got 1 of aria STG , 1 of stagg it 's gibson shape but sound really bad, Can't afford for a really good sound one. haha

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

No worries bud, as I said, it's a minefield I'm all too familiar with myself so I can sympathise!

Wanting better upper fret access isn't weird at all, to be fair an SG is indeed a cracking shape for it too, although one probably won't be much lighter than your LP Jr. It's the amount of maple that usually makes a full fat Les Paul a real heavyweight. Originally, back in the 50's, Les Paul himself designed it as an all Maple body and neck but they were back breakingly heavy, so Gibson started making them with a carved maple top instead on a mahogany body to cut weight.

My Epi Sg weighs in at around six and a half pounds, a Gibson LP Standard usually comes in between ten and twelve... I might be way off the mark but I'd imagine your LP Jr probably sits between them at around seven/eight pounds so it'll be a bit easier to handle but might not be quite the saviour from shoulder ache you expect.

Ibanez's are awesome little pieces of kit, I've never been into them personally but the neck profiles are so slim they beg to be played! Make sure you want a floating trem system though, I had one on a flying V, divebombs and squeals were on tap but if I broke a string that left the entire guitar out of tune and in need of a restring which isn't a five minute job, it's not particularly hard to work on them they just take more setting up than a stoptail or Fender style bridge. Palm muting can be an issue too, it's perfectly do-able but it can take a little adjustment to your technique

Schecter make some really nice gear too, Jacksons Japanese stuff is of fairly high quality too, Yamaha guitars might not always look the sexiest but tend to be built very well... It's swings and roundabouts...

For instance, a few years back I was convinced I wanted a Fender Strat, it HAD to be a Strat... or maybe a Telecaster

Anyway, into my local music store I go, wedge of notes in hand and I pulled down all the mid-range Fender stuff me and my mate could get our hands on, they sounded ok but nothing spoke to me. For a laugh I then pulled down a Jackson RR5 off the rack. A real Liberace's handbag of a guitar, gold hardware everywhere ... I've hated them for years ... It turned out to be the guitar I walked out with and it sits on my wall to this day, it's nothing like what I thought I wanted but it turned out to be exactly what I needed

That's why I always go out and try gear rather than ordering online now, because sometimes the wildcard you don't consider absolutely nails what you're looking for from something else. I can wax lyrical on guitars all day, I love 'em and I know entirely too much about the damn things but the best advice is simply go out and start playing everything you can lay your hands on in your price bracket, brand names and preconceptions be damned, you'll walk away happy

9. Received thanks from:

crossy (12-07-2013)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... it HAD to be a Strat... or maybe a Telecaster ...
    No maybe about it for me, still holding out for the perfect Tele - although tbf I may have missed my chance - when I was at uni (so mid to late 90s) my local music shop got a second-hand Squier Tele in: black with the 3 ply scratch plate, made in the late 80s, and it was a dream. Sadly, being a broke student, I couldn't even stretch to the very reasonable price they were asking for it, and I've never found a guitar of the same quality at even twice the price (which gives you an idea of how good - and how cheap - it was!).

Don't play enough nowadays to make it worth dropping lots on an electric, but I would never buy a guitar without playing it - there's just too much variance even between theoretically identical guitars. Have to agree 100% with Knoxy - find a good local shop, and play everything you can afford.

But if you ask me, start with the Telecasters

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Thanks Knoxville, helpful and comprehensive advice that I'll carve on stone and follow...

Got a reasonable "shop" near me so looks like they're going to get a visit near birthday time. Online's fine, but there's nothing to beat the anticipation of getting a new purchase home.

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks

Probably only going to confirm what Knoxy said....play, play and play again as many guitars as you can within your price range....never order on internet or ebay unseen or unplayed. I have been learning for a couple of years and am fortuante enough to have enough disposable income to buy some very nice guitars. But I only settled on the guitars I have by playing probably 20 or more each time. Your taste and preference will change over time, but trust your ears and how you feel about a guitar.....the smile factor I call it. I never thought I would like a Gibson, but have ended up with a Custom Shop LPR9 which I just cannot put down. My Suhr hardly gets played now and I am looking to trade it in for a Fender CS Start or Tele....can't make my mind up yet so will keep playing and annoying Guitar shop staff. The point with guitars like this is that every one sounds and feels different, even with teh same brand/spec. In truth they are really no bad guitars (with the obvious exceptions), so an Epi or Squire or Yamaha will be good guitars. To getter better you pay progressively more for small gains. I did find my Epi was of quite poor build quality but it player OK.

My view is that it should take 6 months to find the right guitar, so don't wait until your birthday start testing now.....it's fun.....even if like me you have played nursery rhymes in a crowded shop . Currently I am looking to get a new Amp and have been over half the country testing boutique amps...I still have a couple more shops to visit but already I think I know what I want.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Thread Information