Thread: 2013 Movies

Spreadie

2013 Movies

Notable 2013 movies for me - not exhaustive by any stretch - just some that stood out:

Rush - I think they pushed the love interest bit a little too far, but it was great to see a credible F1 film
    Oblivion - Tom Cruise made a film I really liked, how about that?
    Gravity - Sandra Bullock was great in this - really enjoyed it
    World War Z - Yep, I know, but the dynamic wave-like surge of zombies through the streets of Tel Aviv was mind-blowing
    The Croods - The best film we took the kids to see last year - very enjoyable

Not so good:
    After Earth - I don't know what I was expecting, but it was dire
    The Heat - Thankfully, not Sandy B's only contribution in 2013
    Die Hard 5 - Can you say formulaic, done-to-death, cliched trash?
    Ender's Game - piss-poor, derivative, predictable rubbish
    The Colony - Again, derivative, but I felt they really missed an opportunity, and was hoping for something better

OilSheikh

Re: 2013 Movies

My favourite ones from this year has to be :

THE AMAZING BURT WONDERSTONE
    NOW YOU SEE ME
    THE CALL
    OBLIVION
    ARGO
    LAST STAND
    LIFE OF PI
    STOLEN

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    Notable 2013 movies for me - not exhaustive by any stretch - just some that stood out:

Rush - I think they pushed the love interest bit a little too far, but it was great to see a credible F1 film
    Oblivion - Tom Cruise made a film I really liked, how about that?
    Gravity - Sandra Bullock was great in this - really enjoyed it
    World War Z - Yep, I know, but the dynamic wave-like surge of zombies through the streets of Tel Aviv was mind-blowing
    The Croods - The best film we took the kids to see last year - very enjoyable

Not so good:
    After Earth - I don't know what I was expecting, but it was dire
    The Heat - Thankfully, not Sandy B's only contribution in 2013
    Die Hard 5 - Can you say formulaic, done-to-death, cliched trash?
    Ender's Game - piss-poor, derivative, predictable rubbish
    The Colony - Again, derivative, but I felt they really missed an opportunity, and was hoping for something better
    You didn't take them to see wreck it ralph?

I thought enders game did a half decent job of adapting the book, which was pretty novel at its time so you can't really call it derivative, although the character development in the film was pretty bad unless you know the book well enough to fill in the blanks.

There have been quite a lot of really standout films this year - most of which I posted up in the worst films thread a while ago

although I'd add the Hobbit to the list of craptactular crap. I'm convinced theres a halfway decent 90 minute movie hidden somewhere in all 3, but I suspect the directors cut will be 10 hours instead of 1.5

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    You didn't take them to see wreck it ralph?
    No, we caught it on DVD and it was fantastic, but I thought that was a 2012 release? I could be wrong - I frequently am.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    No, we caught it on DVD and it was fantastic, but I thought that was a 2012 release? I could be wrong - I frequently am.
    Maybe it was - We have unlimited cards so tend to go 2/3 times a month, everything blends into one. Favourite with the neice &nephew seemed to be a tossup between despicable me 2 & frozen.

Thanks

Standouts for me;

Before Midnight - most anticipated film of the year for me and didn't disappoint one bit, fantastic part 3, just got to wait another 9 years to see if they do a part 4
    The place beyond the pines - superb film, the trailer looked like Drive but on a motorbike, the reality was an epic spanning multiple generations, could have been a bit shorter, but still very good.
    Side Effects - not a fan of Jude Law or Catherine Zeta Jones, but it was a good solid thriller, Rooney Mara was awesome.
    Only God forgives - Promised so much, but just delivered so little in terms of story. It's a visually stunning film, you could pause it at virtually any point and do a print screen that would be worthy of framing and i'm sure film students will study it for years to come, but just too slow, and felt like Winding-Refn was trying to be Kim Jee-Woon.
    Gravity - blew me away, the story is not game changing but in IMAX 3D it is a true roller-coaster experience of a film, just won't be anywhere near half as good in 2D or on a smaller screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I'd have to have a good think about this one as 2013 was the worst year for films that I can remember in recent history....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thread Information