Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here still listen to MJ?

"You're my wife now!" Ravens Nest's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anyone here still listen to MJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I'd say the opposite - Anyone can be a star, if only they have a camcorder and a YouTube account.
    Plus there are SOO many 'stars' of mediocre qulity being pushed on us, from the internet and The Voice (UK, US, Aus, Greece, Latvia, and just about every other country) and The X Factor/Pop Idol and all the other shows, that we're spoiled for choice and anyone with just the slightest extra bit of talent looks like an utter star by comparison... which is where I'd put the likes of Bruno Mars and Vanilla Ice, based on what I've heard of both their works.

We're absolutely drowning in stars, to the point where no-one can hold peoples' attention long enough to really rise up to the heights that our previous generation did.
    One of my favourite performers has had a career lasting over 40 years... These days you'll be lucky if people still even remember your name after 40 days!

I haven't listened to the radio or paid attention to the charts since about 1990, to be honest... I think Bruce Springsteen and The Sisters Of Mercy were still charting, last time I looked!!
    Maybe too much choice and low attention spans, really not sure what has happened there. X-factor should be cancelled to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    I was born in the very early 80s so perhaps a bit late for the MJ craze. I like earth song - that was a good project - but I wouldn't call myself a MJ fan. Just like I wouldn't say I'm really a Madonna fan but I love Ray of Light.

Honestly I've been quite picky with music growing up and I do continue to be. Only things like REM, Green day(? dookie?), Nirvana, similar quality female fronted bands (Placebo...) really did anything for me in the 90s. In the late 90s I got into D&B, some hip hop (not the mainstream stuff), Ninja Tune, Big Chill, Mixmaster Morris, Chemical Brothers, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Red Snapper, Adam Freeland, 4 Hero, Jazzanova err that kind of thing. I even had a radio show for some time in Uni in the late 90s. People got me into stuff like this!

These days I am more than happy to associate with a lot of mainstream DJ and artists. It's like the quality has percolated to the mainstream (well maybe 20% of it) and no-one's really noticed if you know what I mean? I'm still not a big Ed Sheeran fan or whatever but even that is 10x better than most of the early 90s, unless you were WELL into the chill / dance / rave scene at the time (and even that's aged badly). Music has honestly never been better.

Given that, even mediocre music can come alive at the hands of a good DJ / VJ and they can throw the odd cheese tune in and make it work somehow in the right space. I have no doubt that thanks to the likes of Giles Peterson, Radio 1 (generally), and evolving musical taste things will and do improve. I also have my pop/rock diva sweethearts [Evanescence, Avril, Katy, Paramore, Taylor, Natasha, many I forget] that I really appreciate. It's not easy to put together an album like reputation for example, even in 2017.

Sting/Beatles/Grateful Dead/Robbie Williams/most of X factor/Justin Beib/Eminem/whatever meme musician like Kanye or whatever? No thanks. We've done MUCH better before, were you NOT PAYING ATTENTION?!

And I do encourage you to look up some of the artists I named positively.

Bring on the GOOD music!

edit: classic and on the chill side of good for me. The album is IMMENSE. Talk to me about music I love it
    edit2: one of the most influential tunes in my musical journey in the 90s.
    4Hero - Golden Age of Life (reminds me a bit of a slow Jamiroquai song)
    Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line? very catchy never heard of them but really enjoyed that.

I loved Nirvana and Green days dookie album , my favourite artist of the 90's was Mansun https://youtu.be/ppmUdn6GUXQ there Album Six i thought was a masterpiece and The Bluetones album - Expecting to Fly is beautiful from beginning to end.
    "Mmm... I want you for my wife!"
    "Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee?"
    "Of course you can. We would love for you to join us."

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (04-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    Too few avenues to create music i guess nowadays and nowhere to hone your skills, probably so many other reasons as well why the quality has deteriorated Bruno mars, some of Pharrell and The weekend make me feel theres some good stuff still out there somewhere...
    I don't know much about The Weeknd (but what I've heard doesn't inspire me) but I can definitely tell that Bruno, Daft Punk and Pharrell were heavily influenced by earlier music. Pharrell is in his late forties so his musical tastes is more closer to mine.

In a way, Michael Jackson ruined music and now we get clones of him such as Usher, Bruno, Timberlake, Chris Brown, Bieber (even him if you bear in mind his mentor is Usher). Then you get a whole young generation listening to rubbish and believing it's real music. Then you have to understand that there's no audience for proper quality music.

I'd say if you listen to a lot of the Randy Muller stuff then you can hear it in Bruno Mar's music in reference to the horns arrangement.

<snip> Giles Peterson, Radio 1 (generally)<snip>
    I remembered him when he first started out on Radio London around 1988 give or take a year. He promoted acid jazz music which wasn't exactly new if you listened to a lot of the jazz funk music of the time. He was never a legend in my book.

In fact I remember the likes of Tim Westwood, Trevor Nelson, Dave Pearce, etc, weren't exactly the top underground DJs in South London during the early 1980s. Yes, they became Radio 1 DJs later in their careers and all what they did was to align the station to a more urban style, something us South Londoners had enjoyed way back in the 1980s with the pirate stations such as Horizon, Solar, JFM and LWR.
    Last edited by Top_gun; 05-01-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added horizon

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I do enjoy a bit of MJ, maybe a bit more guiltily now, considering the allegations made against him, but I preferred the album tracks rather than the big hits.

<pipeandslippers>I don't really keep track of the modern music, Radio 2 is on the majority of time in my car, but amongst the mire of copycat, wannabe x-talent voice crap, there are a few diamonds who can actually sing. Rag 'n' Bone Man is one that I have been listening to recently, when you see him, you wouldn't think those sounds would come out of him...</pipeandslippers>

"You're my wife now!" Ravens Nest's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I don't know much about The Weeknd (but what I've heard doesn't inspire me) but I can definitely tell that Bruno, Daft Punk and Pharrell were heavily influenced by earlier music. Pharrell is in his late forties so his musical tastes is more closer to mine.

In a way, Michael Jackson ruined music and now we get clones of him such as Usher, Bruno, Timberlake, Chris Brown, Bieber (even him if you bear in mind his mentor is Usher). Then you get a whole young generation listening to rubbish and believing it's real music. Then you have to understand that there's no audience for proper quality music.

I'd say if you listen to a lot of the Randy Muller stuff then you can hear it in Bruno Mar's music in reference to the horns arrangement.

I remembered him when he first started out on Radio London around 1988 give or take a year. He promoted acid jazz music which wasn't exactly new if you listened to a lot of the jazz funk music of the time. He was never a legend in my book.

In fact I remember the likes of Tim Westwood, Trevor Nelson, Dave Pearce, etc, weren't exactly the top underground DJs in South London during the early 1980s. Yes, they became Radio 1 DJs later in their careers and all what they did was to align the station to a more urban style, something us South Londoners had enjoyed way back in the 1980s with the pirate stations such as Horizon, Solar, JFM and LWR.
    Just looked at Randy muller on youtube, definitely parrallels with uptown funk

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I do enjoy a bit of MJ, maybe a bit more guiltily now, considering the allegations made against him, but I preferred the album tracks rather than the big hits.

<pipeandslippers>I don't really keep track of the modern music, Radio 2 is on the majority of time in my car, but amongst the mire of copycat, wannabe x-talent voice crap, there are a few diamonds who can actually sing. Rag 'n' Bone Man is one that I have been listening to recently, when you see him, you wouldn't think those sounds would come out of him...</pipeandslippers>
    Rag'n'Bone man came out of no i enjoy listening to "human", MJ feels like something dirty sometimes like trying to sneak a Gary Glitter song on but whereas GG was definitely guilty MJ they couldn't get anything on him so i can still listen without wearing headphones on my own where no one else can hear me.
    "Mmm... I want you for my wife!"
    "Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee?"
    "Of course you can. We would love for you to join us."

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K J-batch o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

In the late 90s I got into D&B
    I misread that and thought you were into Dungeons & Dragons, ha ha!!

I also have my pop/rock diva sweethearts [Evanescence, Avril, Katy, Paramore, Taylor, Natasha, many I forget] that I really appreciate.
    I know who maybe three of those are... and I do like Lady Gaga, actually.

Sting/Beatles/Grateful Dead/Robbie Williams/most of X factor/Justin Beib/Eminem/whatever meme musician like Kanye or whatever? No thanks. We've done MUCH better before, were you NOT PAYING ATTENTION?!
    Sting is OK, Williams is pretty good as a showman. Not so keen on the rest.
    But while I'm absolutely NOT a Beatles fan (in the same way I'm absolutely NOT a flippin' ABBA fan!!), have you noticed how their songs actually sound pretty good when played by other people?
    For me, that's a sign of great musicianship.

Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX-480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Antec Mini P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Origin Fibre Max

He certainly touched a lot of young people.

And so did his music.

bored of Vienetta now
    Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    He certainly touched a lot of young people.

And so did his music.

or should that be...

Last edited by ik9000; 05-01-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170 Pro Gamer ATX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz 4 core
      • Memory:
      • Corsair VPX 3000 DDR4 (16, 4*4)
      • Storage:
      • 500gb 850 Evo sata3 SSD, 2*2TB Green 5900 Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 390 8gb
      • PSU:
      • toughpower 1kw
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VIEWSONIC VG2401MH 144hz (Solid)
      • Internet:
      • Origin ADSL Broadband, not really recommended.

>I know who maybe three of those are... and I do like Lady Gaga, actually.

I would add Lady Gaga to that list. Certainly SIA too, especially the older stuff, though the newer stuff doesn't really suffer. I do appreciate the music but there's something just not quite right about a couple of the tracks, maybe, with a few of them (quite pop?). Same with Rihanna, perhaps Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera. I find it quite surprising that the best of these artists work even compares to some of the amazing music I found in the late 90s. It's just great.

Zero 7 are highly recommended. I think Sia was their vocalist for their best stuff. See some live stuff on YouTube.

These days I love a few DJs who are really taking it forward but it's hard to name them off the top of my head. I am unsure if my tastes are changing or music is changing, probably both, but that doesn't stop me loving an old track half expecting a new variant lol.

edit: that was a lot of fun linking some of my fav old tunes. But it's a mess, but still, have a listen. This is one of the most bestest stick with it just before 4:30 please!!!
    Last edited by Millennium; 05-01-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>not quite

how do you spend your time online? (Hexus link)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K J-batch o/c to 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

Same with Rihanna, perhaps Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera.
    Yawn yawn and... actually CA isn't bad. Whichever one did Disturbia, that's their one redeeming song but largely still meh.
    Shakira has them all beat!!

Thanks

Woke up this morning to my radio alarm playing 'Black and White'. Talk about a blast from the past!

I can't say I listen to him frequently these days, but I loved his music when I was young. A few of my first ever album purchases were Bad, then Dangerous, then Thriller, all on glorious cassette tape! (Forget that vinyl nonsense! In fact, why don't we ever get any build your own cassette player projects?)

One wonders how much nostalgia factors into perspective but Michael's music seems to be in a category of its own. There's a unique element to his sound that goes beyond just idiosyncrasies - every single song feels musically put together, has its own identity. They don't feel like fluff, or filler.

I have to say I didn't enjoy a lot of his later stuff, feels like so much of his stress and anger is just overflowing and that's not something I want to listen to.

He obviously had a love of fantasy and the theatrical, and that came through. There's something about so much of his music that just feels 'magical'.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

bored of Vienetta now
    Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

no no no no. No cassettes. Chewing up in the machine, taking forever to find the track you want, I still have my hifi with cassette deck but no way I'd ever conceive even wanting to dig out the cassettes from the loft and listen to them (those which are still playable)

13. Received thanks from:

Galant (11-01-2018)

Thanks

Yes I do, he is my all time favorite

Thanks

!Yeah, here I am!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information