Thread: Wireless connection - Vista, Belkin, NTL/VIRGIN

Thanks

Unhappy Wireless connection - Vista, Belkin, NTL/VIRGIN

I too are having difficulties!

I am a bit of a technophobe, so have very little knowledge!

I bought a wireless laptop (windows vista) and router yesterday! Eventually with the help of ntl I am able to connect to the internet with my ethernet connection plugged into my network card on the laptop.

When I try to connect via the router, I can't! I took my router and alptop back to PC world, where the laptop will connect to their wireless internet connection. The swapped my original philips modem to a belkin one.

When I got home, again I was unable to connect wireless!!! I have spoken to the Belkin representative who I think was helpful! Via the cmd window I get information that states that when I type in for example
    ping bbc.com
    i get four responses - I think correct.
    BUT when i type in an ip address i get the message timed out.

The Blekin rep says that it is a problem with my internet provider. I rang NTL/Virgin, who were not at all helpful, I can connect via ethernet cable and therefore can connect, not their problem.

Anybody got any ideas????

I was soo excited at getting a laptop, my PC is 8 years old and was really struggling to do anything! and now I am limbo, NTL say it is the router problem, router say it is ISP.

thanks in anticipation

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Perhaps unrelated, however perhaps not. Last week I upgraded my HTPC to Windows Vista. It has a Belkin 125g Wireless card in it which connected to my secured home network (a Belkin router).

At first it worked perfectly, card was detected using Vista stock drivers, I could connect to my network and transfer files/connect to the internet. However after a while it kept just dropping for no apparent reason.

After searching for an upgraded official Belkin driver, I find that there isn't actually one available yet. So apparently the only solution is to unsecure the network (which worked), or changing to a Vista-compatible card.

Hope you get it sorted mate. Perhaps try playing with your network settings? Unsecuring and whatnot.

Registered+
    Thanks
    A friend had the same problem with his connection, make sure wireless is turned on on the laptop, can be a hard-button on the laptop and keep trying it took us 3 hours to get his working correctly, also check any firewall settings, ie turn them off and try, but dont forget to turn back on!!

Steele

Thread Information