Thread: Help me sort out my ADSL

At one with the weasels
    Thanks

Help me sort out my ADSL

I need some advice on setting up my adsl connection at uni to be shared. It'll be a mixture of wired and wireless connections.

Basically we have a house with 4 bedrooms networked to the sitting room, unfortunately the cabling to my room is borked and I've had enough waiting for the landlord so am taking the wireless route for my PC.

We have a handful of laptops as well so being able to connect them wirelessly would be a big bonus.

I have 2 routers sitting around atm and was wondering if either can be used easily in conjunction with a wireless access point to solve the problem or should i just buy a new wireless router and sell them on second hand

Belkin 4 port DSL/Cable Router

Maplin 4port ADSL Modem Router

We're with BTOpenworld if that makes any difference
    [WARNING] May contain trace levels of sarcasm

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Registered+
    Thanks
    Keep the modem router use this to connect to the net, feed the wired machines and shove a wireless ap in it, for the wireless side.

Thanks
    For what you can end up paying for a wireless access point.. combined with the hassle involved... just grab one of those combined DSL/router/wireless setups... then flog the other two routers.. to pay for it

It's a neat and organised package with less farting around
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Registered+
    Thanks
    An all in one wireless router is ~£130-150 and AP or simple router will cost you £60-£80

Thanks
    First things first - ditch BT Openworld and get a proper ISP

Thanks
    Actually m8 BT aren't that bad.

All the ADSL providers at the moment go through a BT network anyway which kinda offers some assurance that they aren't going to get overloaded.

Registered+
    Thanks
    TBH ive been a BT user for 18 months and have not had one single problem and infact rate my connection pretty highly, I get excellent pings in games etc.. However I do only live about 200m from the exchange

At one with the weasels
    Thanks
    I can't run a wireless ap from a wired pc cos mine is the only pc i can do that with and it's not possible to wire it up hence the problem and need of wirelss. My hosuemate saren't willing to have a pc running 24/7 in their room

As for BT they give good service and you know should anything go wrong they fix it. Got stung in the apst chosing the cheapest option for ADSl and lost £100. ALso BT is easier to sort out bills with as a house, we all send seperate cheques in the post.

So what adsl modem wireless/wired router would you recommend?
    [WARNING] May contain trace levels of sarcasm

[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]A[SIZE=2]mbition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Thread Information