Thread: Homeplug kit - install - what goes where?

Thanks

Homeplug kit - install - what goes where?

I am a newbie to this technology, so please bear with me.

I am struggling to understand how to install a homeplug kit, i.e. what physically goes where.

I am setting up a new Dell PC at my other house. This will be the only PC in the house. It is single story, with the sitting room fronting onto the street. The telephone point is in that wall. The PC will be in a back room. There is a thick wall dividing the two rooms. The telephone point and the PC are about 25’ apart.

I had considered a Wireless setup but then discovered about homeplug, which I understand is better.

My researches have thrown up a number of install guides and diagrams, none of which tell me what I need to know. I then spoke to a supplier about how to install a kit. If I had him right, he indicated I could have the router in the sitting room, close to the telephone point, and the PC in the back room with the homeplug next to and plugged into it. I understood the broadband connection into the telephone point would be converted by the router into a LAN connection through the mains wiring. I further understood this to be why the router could be at the front of the house, away from the PC, as the LAN connection would be fed through the wiring to the plug next to the PC and from that to the PC, so their separation by distance would not matter. That is my objective.

However, one of the guides tells me to ‘plug the LAN cable into any of the four sockets on the rear of the router and the other end into the LAN socket on the back of the PC.’ This is the problem. If, as suggested, I have the router at the front of the house, it will be 25’ feet away from the PC, so I couldn’t plug the other end into the LAN socket at the back of the PC. As I understand this guide I would have to have the router and plug next to the PC, which physically would not be possible, and in any case would defeat the whole objective as I have described it of me having the homeplug kit in the first place.

Where therefore in point of fact, given the configuration of my house, would I site the router and the plug? Perhaps I would have to go for wireless after all???

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    You had it right the first time.

Plug one of the LAN ports on the router into one of the Homeplug devices. THen plug it into a power socket

Plug the other Homeplug into the wall near the PC and connect an ethernet cable between the homeplug and the PC.

Job done.

Thanks
    Many thanks, and much appreciated.

Just to make sure -

Please confirm my understanding of what you say which is that I can have the router and the PC in my house 25' apart as I describe.

You talk about two plugs (and a router). The kits I have seen online come with one plug (and a router), i.e. indicating one is sufficient. I am therefore a bit confused on this point.

You advise, I understand you, that I have the router in the front room, connected up to a (separate) homeplug device, and it is this device ('it') which I plug into the wall. Is that correct? Presumably I plug the router into a socket as well? So a double socket would be required in the front room?

On this basis, as I understand it, neither the router nor the homeplug device in the front room is connected in any way to the telephone point?

Telephone-wise, my broadband comes with telephone access, so as I have to disconnect the Tiscali broadband modem with the PC, to use the router instead, how then do I use the telephone as part of my broadband? I will use a digital cordless telephone, so it will sit on the window sill, with the router (and plug) below it. Will it simply 'work'? Or do I perhaps have to connect a microfilter to the telephone point?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    Can you post a link to the kit you have?

Or at least, give me which make/model you have. I'm unsure about the equipment you are describing.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    I have replaced wireless with 200Mbs LAN Desk from Devolo (4 of them).

Utterly brilliant and I thourougly recommend them. The instructions are clear and simple, and performance knockout!

Plug one homeplug into electricity wall outlet near router, and connect an ethernet port on router to it. Plug a second homeplug into electricity wall outlet near PC, and connect ethernet cable from it to PC. The router provids the LAN and the Internet connection; so the PC gets to the Internet via it's homeplug through the mains to the other homeplug connected to the router. The two Homeplugs are effectively an ethernet connection from the PC in another room to the router.
    Last edited by EtheAv8r; 04-06-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thread Information