Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bt Broadband Problem

Thanks

Bt Broadband Problem

Here goes,
    on the 27th of June I was connected to BT broadband and telephone service, however, I was on holiday when the bt bloke came around (my brother was here though) so I didn't use the net till this week. The guy installed the line and a router (bthomehub) and the line trial period is long gone.

I'm subscribed to up to 8 meg with no cap, however my speeds are about (0.2 meg)20 kp/s max down and (0.1 meg) 10kp/s up. The phone line quality is terrible when both are connected with adsl splitters, when I only use the phone line without the net, the sound quality is fine. So i thought, bad filter maybe, I bought 5 new filters and put one on every phone line, even those without a device on it. Still, the speeds were the same and the phone sound was still crap.

I've used 2 routers, my trusty netgear and BThomehub with the same result, slow speeds, bad phone quality. When I access my router it shows that i'm getting approx a 2 meg connection

I've opened all ports, turned off all firewalls (madness!) used 3 separate systems to test the speeds and its always the same.

I phoned up bt, after hours of talking to customer service...in India who were very reluctant to send anyone over to check the line, they suggested I do the following:

Remove the 2 screws from my main BT line and plug an adsl filter into the line, and attach my router and phone connection.

Done it, still the same, poor phone quality and crap speeds, they said they'll phone tomorrow at mid-day to ask how things are going, I don't know whether they'll actually send someone over, or make me jump through more hoops and give such advice as 'Restart your PC and see what happens'...

My alarm system isn't connected to a phone line, I've tried having only the net connected to the phone line and its still slow.

Am i missing something, please don't hesitate in calling me a blithering idiot but I'm totally stuck, anyone have any ideas?

Who should I call (besides the ghostbusters!)

Thanks
    Last edited by utdmleach; 13-07-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    could be a stuck ip profile.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    could be a stuck ip profile.
    Certainly looks like it.

The only thing you can do is talk to BT again since they're the only ones who can sort it.

Thanks
    yep ask them to reset your profile (bras). maybe all that phones and wiring has interfered with the test period and it has been set to low . While that inital testing is goin on it's best to have as little lying on the phone line as possible.

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses, just researched ip profile, seems like the problem, but if I get them to fix that, will that solve the problem with my phone line? (the poor quality)

Thanks
    Nope, it won't affect the voice portion of your line.

I'd suggest getting the voice portion sorted before trying to get your ADSL fixed. You may find that fixing the voice portion may necessitate new copper or something which may give you a better SNR and therefore a better sync rate.

If your IP profile is sorted now and your voice portion sorted in a week or so then you'll find that your IP profile is set to reflect the quality of your line when the voice portion was flaky so you may end up with a higher sync rate but no additional speed.

Thanks
    No , don't think so- not sure about that one .Sound like 'filtering probs but you say that you have replaced filters . Try disconnecting some of you phones i.e. just connect up one . bb should not be interfering with the phones . Resetting the profile prob will not sort that. and that could be the route of your problem . Do not forget to tell them about the interference on your phone when bb is connected i.e. don't get side tracked with the speed thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merdat View Post
    Sound like 'filtering probs but you say that you have replaced filters
    I don't think it is, the OP shows a sync rate of 1824 but a BT speedtest result showing an IP profile of 250 kpbs so there's a big difference there. Filters would cause a shoddy sync rate and/or instability but not a case where the IP profile that BT have set is 1.5 Mbit below sync rate.

Don't waste your time telling Broadband support about the problems with the voice portion on your line, they won't be able to do anything about it.

Thanks
    yes, but he states that the line had no interference when the bb is disconnected. If that is the case then I would have thought that if the audio level on the line was ok with bb disconnected then the problem would have to lie elsewhere either an adsl prob at his local exchange or faulty wiring at his home . I maybe completely wrong in my analysis.

Thanks
    It doesn't matter, Broadband support won't deal with anything on the voice portion of the line.

Thanks
    I forgot to mention that for one day, I had speeds of 1 meg / 100 kbs down, then it went back to 20 kbs, could this mean anything.

As for the telephone side of things, if I phone BT will they send someone round to sort it? It seems impossible to get anyone to get off their arse and come here these days

Thanks
    They should send some out. Be 100% sure that there isn't a problem with your internal wiring since if the problem is after the BT master socket then BT either won't do anything about the problem or will want to charge you for the visit.

Thanks
    Burble is correct . Get your line checked amake sure that it is ok before getting your bras (ip profile) reset. They should be able to test your line remotely and if there is a problem on the line then they will sent someone out but if it turns out to be a problem in your own wiring ie after master socket then they may charge you for the visit. Check around on internet and you should find one or two tools such as BT wholesale checker which will tell you what your bb expected speed for your address should be.

Thanks
    just phone bt 150 for the phone line issues and phone BT broadband for the data issue once thats fixed. No point guessing about it here as BT are not interested in your analysis and will do their own no matter how accurate you are.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable
    inform them you will be stopping all forms of payment due to limited/no service. ie they are not supplying what you are paying for, and when its all resolved ask for a month free to cover what you have paid not to get.

amazing how fast thats gets action !

Thanks
    Hi, the saga continues, they ran their tests my broadband line is fine as is my telephone line. The speeds went up to 1meg for a day then back to 0.2 megs. Whenever I get a phonecall my net DC's, then when I hang up it DC's again and will often never reconnect unless I...pickup the phone wait till i hear the broadband link kick in (interference noise beging) then I put the phone down and the net is back on. My net will die randomly and never come back on for hours no matter what I do. I've shouted at every BT employee in India who are totally useless and barley speak english, the first english person who I managed to get through to, I told them my situation and they reccommend I file a complaint.

So I did, 48 hours later and still no phonecall that I was promised. I've rang every number to get someone to come round to my house and just look at this thing, and they all piss me about and redirect me to india who send me back to them etc etc

PLEASE someone, what should I do?

BT install my phoneline and ADSL line and are REFUSING to send someone over, what should I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information