Thread: Cable Wireless setup - Netgear WGT624 v2 setup - PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Unhappy Cable Wireless setup - Netgear WGT624 v2 setup - PLEASE HELP

Hi There,

My first post

I recently moved over from ADSL to Virgin Cable. Now I bought a second hand Netgear WGT624 wireless router and I'm having hard time setting it all up, I'm not sure wether the router is faulty or if I'm doing something, I have set up wireless before on my previous ADSL broadband and have helped people set theirs. so i'm not a complete noob, but this cable is doing my head in..

First problem: I have tried to connect the ethernet cable directly to the computer and tried to logon the router admin page (192.168.0.1), I can't even get onto the logon page (The page cannot be displayed error):/ ?? but i can logon if use my wireless card but once I set up the WPA settings, I can't log back in anymore, keep getting the ''The page cannot be displayed'' error:O

Second problem: I don't seem to be getting no internet going through when I connect it wirelesly, I checked the router status page and theres no internet coming through the router at all, I have entered my account username and password correctly don't understand whats going on? now when i connect using the RJ45 cable from the router directly to the computer it works fine..

Any ideas? plleasee help

Thanks

Re: Cable Wireless setup - Netgear WGT624 v2 setup - PLEASE HELP

Ok I've managed to get the router working I unplugged the router and modem for a bit..

But still dont understand why I can't log into the admin section of the router using the wired method?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The previous owner may have changed the port that incoming wired connections are received. Comman changes are to 8080 or 8888. If you can get to the admin pages wirelessly, you should be able to check this (or log on with cable using the above port numbers)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The previous owner may have changed the port that incoming wired connections are received. Comman changes are to 8080 or 8888. If you can get to the admin pages wirelessly, you should be able to check this (or log on with cable using the above port numbers)
    I've never seen a router that will let you change the management port depending if you're connecting over ethernet or wireless. Management over the WAN, sure, but seems kinda pointless over the LAN (be it wired or otherwise) as a quick nmap (or similar) will find the new port in seconds.

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Cable Wireless setup - Netgear WGT624 v2 setup - PLEASE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've just tried this, same thing happens:/

I've also tried a hard reset on the router.

Any ideas?

I machine things !
    Thanks

Try 192.168.1.1 as that is the correct admin page IP !
    Original Trust ID was handsy with the following info...

http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=2849

..but I changed it to machinist to synch up with my forum name...
    http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=44476
    ...no rating at the moment, as I haven't bought or sold against this ID yet.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have that exact router. When you connect your PC to the wired network do you get a DHCP (Automatically Assigned) IP address or are you setup to use a manual address.

Make sure it is Automatic on the wired PC. Also if you are able to connect via Wireless then check you netowrk connection status (support tab)

You should see:
    Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
    IP Address: 192.168.x.x
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.x.1 <- this will be the address you need to type into the web browser on the PC.

And should be the same one that works in the Wireless mode.

The port should just be the default port 80 (ie nothing specified) as it only uses 8080 (by default) when using remote admin on the Internet side.

In Summary....Make sure your wired PC is using similar Gateway and has a similar IP address as those you see for the wireless connection.

If all else fails do a factory reset on the WGT624 by unplugging the power from the Router (wait a good 20 seconds) then use a paper clip to hold in the reset button on rear. Then while holding it depressed plug in the power and wait at least 10 seconds before releasing the reset button.

Then you "should" have DHCP enabled and the address will be 192.168.0.1 with the default "admin" username and "admin" password.

But remember doing this you WILL lose all your settings. ie Firewall and IP config etc.
    Last edited by roddines; 20-09-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Also on the Internet side if your using a Virgin set top box with an Ethernet connection you have to register a MAC address on the web site and make sure you either use the router one or change the router config to use the one you used when you registered.

for example. Internet Port MAC Address 00:04:E2:93:AC:B8

If you have a new connection to Virgin hopefully you have a seperate cable modem (that is their policy now). They don't require a specific MAC address but there is another catch with these. They only work with the first MAC address that connects to them. I.e. if you had your PC plugged in directly when you powered up the cable modem the MAC address of the PC would be assigned to it. But if you left the Cable modem on and then plugged in your router it would not work until you power cycled (ie turn it off then waiting 10 seconds then turn it on again) the cable modem.

Hope that helps!

Thread Information