Thread: Virgin media packages

Thanks

Virgin media packages

In the process of getting a wireless router! But, I remember that virgin media did the free wireless router and installation thing. I would phone them now but the whole thing is in my father's name (and i'm at work). So just need to know a few things.

They only offer L, XL , and XXL broadband packages now but we were on the M package. Now my question is will we have been moved to the L package?? Or do we have to ask to be moved. We also have the phone and tv tied into up with the broadband.

Also how good are the wireless routers they offer? The modem is on the ground floor and the signal will have two further floors to get past.

One strange thing is they have not updated our modem even though they now we still ahve the old ntl modem.

Thanks
    • starbuck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • 2x500gb Samsung spinpoint in raid 0, 320gb diamondmax SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT240
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 850watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Dell(rebadged sony) trinitron CRT
      • Internet:
      • 20mb cable internet connection

Re: Virgin media packages

Don't know about the modem. You should have been moved to the large package as they don't offer the medium anymore.
    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.

3. Received thanks from:

AledJ (10-07-2009)

Thanks

The wireless router they supply is a basic Netgear model. Unsure of the exact one, but is G, with WPA2 and all the other basics you'd expect nowadays. Nothing special, but being a Netgear should be solid enough.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../wireless.html (indentical

Ditto on what Starbuck said, you should have been upgraded to 10MB (L) (www.speedtest.net is quicker than calling them). Trying to find the details on the VM website for you, but as usual its hidden away somewhere.

RE: The modem, AFIAK, they wont bother upgrading it if its working ok. Some of the older ones arent fast enough for the newer speeds.. Think lots of people with older NTL/Telewest gear, need an upgrade to benefit from 20Mb (and 50Mb needs a new modem regardless).. Should be ok on 10Mb, test and see, I guess.

HTH

5. Received thanks from:

AledJ (10-07-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mehmeh View Post
    The wireless router they supply is a basic Netgear model. Unsure of the exact one, but is G, with WPA2 and all the other basics you'd expect nowadays. Nothing special, but being a Netgear should be solid enough.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../wireless.html (indentical

Ditto on what Starbuck said, you should have been upgraded to 10MB (L) (www.speedtest.net is quicker than calling them). Trying to find the details on the VM website for you, but as usual its hidden away somewhere. Will check with virgin about the modem due to its age!!

RE: The modem, AFIAK, they wont bother upgrading it if its working ok. Some of the older ones arent fast enough for the newer speeds.. Think lots of people with older NTL/Telewest gear, need an upgrade to benefit from 20Mb (and 50Mb needs a new modem regardless).. Should be ok on 10Mb, test and see, I guess.

HTH
    Cheers guys!! Last time I checked the speed was on the 3mb mark i think. But i guess that was before they increased the package! I still have to sign up for that upgrade to the 10mb line (must find the account details)

I am certain that G router will not be good enough Will get a n1 router from Belkin maybe!! [/URL]

Although not sure why this costs more??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Visio.../dp/B000XRZOWO - edit: Sadly it seems it not that great, plenty of problem with it

or

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/661/868...archtype=genre

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/661/868...archtype=genre

It will be connected via a Ethernet cable to the main home pc, so I assume i need the port switch thing i keep seeing??

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!!
    Last edited by AledJ; 10-07-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Thread Information