Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Simple Network...

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks

A Simple Network...

Right, I admit:

I do not know much about networking PC's or laptops together

Now thats off my chest

I will be looking in the next couple of months 'hopefully' to connect my current PC to a laptop i want to get to help me with my degree course. The PC is in 1 room, the laptop will mainly be mine (in another.) They are both upstairs and cables could easily connect them.

I want to know:

a) What is the best connection method for them (Cable, Wi-Fi etc)?

b) What kit i will need for both the connection and computers?

c) How much will it cost?

d) Will it be easy to set-up?

e) Can i share my broadband connection through the two PC's? If so, do i need software for this??

All help would be great!

Wilko
    Last edited by TomWilko; 16-08-2003 at 05:37 PM.
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    a) You say cables can easily conenct them, so use ethernet. Wifi is too slow. I transfered a 3.8 gig file the other day and it took 7 minutes. Wouldnt want to do that on wireless. The cables should also be usable on any future Gig network cards.

b) We are going to assume that a modern laptop has a network adapter (NIC) built in - but you will need to check. You will need a NIC for a PC too (=£10) - although more modern boards often have one built in (all NForce 2 boards etc). You will need a crossover cat5e RJ45 bog standard network cable - even B@Q have these both in crimped [the end connectors are crimped on]ready to go cable in a box pack on the shelf or in hooge big ass reels of the stuff.

c) £10 for NIC (ebyer has them for £4 etc) and £piece-of-string for the cable - room to room in a house, get yourself at least a 7m cable = <£10.

d) Ya, if you go wrong, post here.

e) Ya, no software provided you arnt running win981E or earlier.

Edit: Edit2, Changed straight cable back to crossover cable for connecting 2 pc's without hub.
    Last edited by Trickle; 16-08-2003 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Connecting two PCs via a cable (Crossover cable if you're not using a hub) really is very cheap and incredibly easy.

Cable will be fairly cheap, £6 or £7 for a ten metre length maybe.

NIC for pc - the £5 ones from Ebuyer are great, my mate bought a couple; they're cheap, fast and reliable. Assuming your mobo hasn't already got oen built in as Trickle said

If your laptop doesn't have an RJ45 slot, PCMCIA NICs are £25 for a good DLINK one from Ebuyer.

If your main PC has WinXP, just make sure the NIC is installed and share the internet, simple as that. If it's got 98 or 2K or something, you'll need to download a simple proxy server. I recommend www.analogx.com.

If the laptop has XP, it's as simple as trying to access the internet and letting it detect proxy settings, if it's 98 it'll do pretty much the same thing. If it's an earlier version of windows, then it'll need a bit more setting up.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Both PC and laptop are/will be XP. Will this network be good for gaming on?

The broadband connection currently goes through a USB port, will this have to be moved to an ethernet??

...One final thing, how much more equipment/cost will it be to possibly add other systems at a later date???

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good for gaming on? A network is a network, is a network. Can't see any problems for gaming.

Broadband on USB is not a problem, wouldn't have to be moved to ethernet.

Adding another system would require you buying a switch/hub, Loosing the crossover cable and buying normal straight cables for each of the PC's

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Oh ok, i can only imagine it ever being 2 PC's however.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    XP to XP is probably the easiest ever network to set up! If you go wrong you're not fit to use a computer!
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    ...Can't wait to go wrong then

Thanks
    Just use a simple crossover cable to connect 2 PC's. If you are intending to connect more PC's then I suggest you buy a switch so you can easily connect them as you get them. The switch will cost you more, but is fast.

Ive got 10/40w for blood... THCi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Best thing if your looking for good all rounders is a router. Are you running By or ADSL for your internet?

If Its BY what modem have you got, a surfboard?

Get a router, decent BBand routers can be had for about £50 now adays. Mine cost me ~£100 when I had it new. (BEFSR41) and its perfect for normal (even gaming) use.

Cant go wrong with a router set up correctly.

Thanks
    Originally posted by THCi
    Get a router, decent BBand routers can be had for about £50 now adays. Mine cost me ~£100 when I had it new. (BEFSR41) and its perfect for normal (even gaming) use. Cant go wrong with a router set up correctly.
    that one of the best darn simple routers there are! i love mine and it's the only one i will use for my job (IT Mgr.)
    NONE of the networks i have set up with this router were affected by the latest worms. it seals the port shut!
    great choice

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    I have NTL Cable broadband 600k. If i were to play online games like CS, could we have both PC's running it at the same time in the same server with good pings still??

Thanks
    absolutely!
    i would suggest the person with the faster connection run the game server though, it's better that way

Thanks
    No TomWilko means could you connect to the same server I believe. If this is what you mean then yes you could do, you can just connect at the same time and play away

Your pings won't change in the slightest, as the HL Engine doesn't take much bandwidth, so you will have pings of about 15-20 on UK servers

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    This sounds awesome, i will just have to get used to playing games on a laptop - i intend to buy a seperate keyboard and mouse for my desk for exactly that purpose

Will i also be able to 'share' hard-drives with the other PC. For instance transfer MP3's, folders and things across as and when i need? I may also be needing to block the other PC from accessing parts of my hard-drive, will this be possible?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jiff Lemon

Adding another system would require you buying a switch/hub, Loosing the crossover cable and buying normal straight cables for each of the PC's
    or just buy another network card....

infact you can use as many network cards in 1 pc as you want instead of an hub ie pc acts like an hub alltho this does take up your pci slots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information