Thread: Question regarding multiple computers with torrent clients

Thanks

Question regarding multiple computers with torrent clients

Hi there. Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I was wondering if the good folks of Hexus had any advice.

I have a high speed internet connection, which I share with my flatmate. We each have a windows box with utorrent installed.
    I wish to reasonably ensure that we are both able to get sufficient bandwidth to utilise our connection to the maximum potential, whilst still remaining fair, so my intention was to restrict the maximum download speed and upload speeds on each of the clients to (100% of the bandwidth/2) -10%
    We predominantly use our bandwidth for the usual things, streaming/gaming/filesharing/browsing/with the occasional other services such as RDP/FTP/VPN to work out of hours.
    My friend was advising that I do not need to limit either of the clients.
    I'm not 100% sure what he was trying to explain, but I *think* he was stating that the router will automatically distribute the traffic evenly, either by protocol, by number of open connections, or splitting it evenly by computer.
    I'm not sure that my router will, hence this question. In fact I'm fairly certain it wont.
    This to me doesn't seem right. A switch stops congestion/collisions, a router routes traffic. From my sketchy memory of my uni course, a router does not divide the traffic evenly on the basis of source.
    As said, I game and stream media from time to time, so my plan was to have both pc's restricted as detailed previously, and when I didn't wish to torrent, I could turn my torrents off, leave my flatmate's computer running with the schedule, and not have my side impacted by my flatmate's running torrents.

In short, I'd like for us both to be able to each do the above listed things, but at the same time not restrict each other's ability to utilise our connection due to hogging bandwidth. Is setting restrictions in the scheduler the best way to do it? My friend's other point was that if I'm not running anything that is utilising the bandwidth then there is 'bandwidth being wasted'. But surely in that instance it would be straight forward enough for my flatmate to switch off the scheduler temporarily?
    Granted there will always be some variation, but as the primary source of bandwith useage is bittorrent I figured it would be sensible to keep it even.
    I didn't want to argue for the sake of it,and I'm tired so I told him I'd leave it for now and look into it.

Is there a best way to set this up fairly?

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

Re: Question regarding multiple computers with torrent clients

To go inbetween the ADSL router and the PCs:
    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12346

Needs configuring though. You can set an overall maximum upload speed. Perhaps your DSL or cable router can do this already, but I like m0n0wall for this purpose - it works very well.

Thread Information