Thread: Slow internet connection

Thanks

Slow internet connection

My daughter has a Virgin media cable 10mbit internet connection. When I checked the speed yesterday I was given a reading of http://www.speedtest.net/result/595577585.png on speedtest. For a 10mbit connection this seems to be very slow. Any ideas on why is is so slow and what can be done to speed it up?

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Re: Slow internet connection

Unfortunatly the connection will be 'up to' 10MB, so it may be that is the highest she will ever achieve.

How is it all configured? As in Is the router plugged directly into the main socket for the house, and not going through a series of extension cables?

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rastamanblues View Post
    How is it all configured? As in Is the router plugged directly into the main socket for the house, and not going through a series of extension cables?
    It's cable. Not ADSL. Line length and noise on line should not be a concern, unless it's not OF to modem?

Yes that is a slight problem, cable shouldn't that slow, it is possible that for various reasons (traffic shaping, peak usage times, etc) that the speed will be reduced. I recommend taking a sample of speeds over a long period, say as week, at different times in the day. If it never goes above 8Mbps (especially in the wee hours of the morning), then that is cause for concern.

Also note that wireless connections can reduce the effective speed of the connect. Make your tests directly connected to the modem/router via an ethernet cable if at all possible.

And finally you may want to consider using a different SpeetTest website, see this thread.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    It's cable. Not ADSL. Line length and noise on line should not be a concern, unless it's not OF to modem?
    Ah ignore me, monday morning syndrome, I didnt see the cable bit!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greshoff View Post
    My daughter has a Virgin media cable 10mbit internet connection. When I checked the speed yesterday I was given a reading of http://www.speedtest.net/result/595577585.png on speedtest. For a 10mbit connection this seems to be very slow. Any ideas on why is is so slow and what can be done to speed it up?
    I have had a similar problem where the speed on a wireless connection to my pc does not go above 6.2mb (most time its around 4.9mb). Strange thing is I have two laptops which report 9.1mb speed almost constently throughout the day.

If you find out whats going I woudl be interested to know!

Thread Information