Thread: Atheros AR5007EG Driver for Windows 7

Thanks

Atheros AR5007EG Driver for Windows 7

The wireless card on my Acer Aspire One AAO150 is causing BSODs, crashes, freezes in Windows 7. I've tried every possible driver up to & including the latest v. 8.0.0.238. Anyone having the same problem or managed to solve it?

Thanks

Smile Re: Atheros AR5007EG Driver for Windows 7

I created this account just to answer your question, since it doesn't seem to be answered anywhere else on the net.

I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium on an Aspire One AOA150-1777 with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless card. Same as you, I tried every thing under the sun to get a driver that stopped the BSODs, hangs and zip file corruption (in case you haven't encountered this yet!)

Finally out of desperation, I attempted to install the XP drivers provided on the Acer website by manually pointing Windows 7 to that folder and it actually took them and they work great! Who knew that the older and noncorresponding driver would work right? I actually think Acer has something to do with it since they seem to have stated that they are not going to release Windows 7 drivers for the AOA150 and I think thats because they did something to the card to not work right with anything but their drivers. Even the Windows 7 out of the box, MS certified drivers did not work correctly!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Re: Atheros AR5007EG Driver for Windows 7

hey dude great advice im thinking... at least it seems that way... i know i may be posting a bit late but hope u reply... iv been having the same problem i think... i mean the pc just freezes... i have no idea if its cuz of the wireless or something else... at times only the wireless hangs up so... maybe that it... usually its the whole system that hangs... lately even 3 times a day!!!

so like i got the driver u told to get... but like when im trying to install it its either not letting me install by saying i have a newer version of the driver without giving me a option to put on a old one... or even if im uninstalling the driver then trying to install the old one its still installing the newer driver version... now uhhh... im thinking this is cuz when im uninstaling its giving me a option to uninstall and also delete the driver from the pc... but im not deleting it so its just uninstalling... then when i go to install anything else its just directly putting the new one on... can u plz guide me a bit how to go about this... im kinda computer illiterate so will really appreciate it... thanks a bunch...

Thanks

I also have an Acer Aspire One AOA 150 where I installed Win 7 Ultimate on.

First of all I don't know if you guys are right on this since I didn't have any BSOD's really except one lockup which I don't think was because of the WiFi driver, but who knows, since it happened only once up until now I can't say for sure.

What I did have yesterday and also today was a sudden connection loss where I couldn't find an explanation for, it took a minute or two and I could connect again. Hard to say again if it is or was a real problem, but I went looking anyway.

So I found the following site :
    h**p://w*w.atheros.cz (sorry had to mask the url since first posts don't get to post URL's, you should be able to understand it )

On this site you can find all the drivers for the Atheros WiFi cards and what is weird is that they do not show the driver which Windows 7 Update installed, the 8. ... driver.
    What they do show is Vista drivers, and also for our card, the AR5007eg card, so I suggest to you guys to download those drivers since Vista drivers are fully compatible with Windows 7.
    I just did this and it works perfectly, I did however have to manually point to the driver for it to install ofcourse, when doing this make sure that when you get the choice between "netathr.inf" & "netathrx.inf" that you choose the first one, "netathr.inf", because the other one is for 64-bit systems.

Not used to Windows I guess Niagol since this process has been the same since Win 98 :-). Anyway, I'll tell you in steps what you have to do to manually install a driver :

1) Download driver you want and extract it to a folder in an easy place (e.g. Desktop)
    2) Click Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager (this is when you have the Control Panel displayed as a MENU, otherwise, after clicking on Control Panel a window opens and you have to click on System and Security -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager)
    Now you get a list with your hardware in your PC.
    3) Go to Network Adapters and open the tree, and there you see the Atheros Wireless Network adapter, you right-click on it and select Update Driver Software ...
    4) Then you click on Browse my computer for driver software
    5) Then you click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    6) Then you click on Have Disk...
    7) Click on Browse and go to the folder where you extracted and placed your driver and select the .inf file (in case you downloaded the driver from where I said you select "netathr.inf") and click Open
    8) Click Ok
    9) Click Next and the driver will be installed
    10) The end.

Good luck.

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Quote Originally Posted by niagol View Post
    I created this account just to answer your question, since it doesn't seem to be answered anywhere else on the net.

I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium on an Aspire One AOA150-1777 with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless card. Same as you, I tried every thing under the sun to get a driver that stopped the BSODs, hangs and zip file corruption (in case you haven't encountered this yet!)

Finally out of desperation, I attempted to install the XP drivers provided on the Acer website by manually pointing Windows 7 to that folder and it actually took them and they work great! Who knew that the older and noncorresponding driver would work right? I actually think Acer has something to do with it since they seem to have stated that they are not going to release Windows 7 drivers for the AOA150 and I think thats because they did something to the card to not work right with anything but their drivers. Even the Windows 7 out of the box, MS certified drivers did not work correctly!

Hope this helps.
    WELCOME to hexus mate, make your self at home
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks

Hey redrum... thanks alot for the info... and the detailed step by step instructions...
    i had actually gone ahead already and installed the xp driver suggested by niagol... which seems to have worked... been i think 3 days and not a single crash yet... but i dont know if its my imagination or what... the screen seems to be flikering from time to time now... and my ram physical memory usage is ever since running pretty pretty high... now again since im not computer wizz i dunno if im just being paranoid... another thing is im not sure but when im going to driver information... even tho i think iv installed that old one... it shows me in the info its still the 8.0.0.238 version... so i kinda have no idea whats goin on... so like what do u suggest...?? i leave it running with whatever its running on at the moment... or move to the vista driver u just suggested...??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkFuX View Post
    Hey redrum... thanks alot for the info... and the detailed step by step instructions...
    i had actually gone ahead already and installed the xp driver suggested by niagol... which seems to have worked... been i think 3 days and not a single crash yet... but i dont know if its my imagination or what... the screen seems to be flikering from time to time now... and my ram physical memory usage is ever since running pretty pretty high... now again since im not computer wizz i dunno if im just being paranoid... another thing is im not sure but when im going to driver information... even tho i think iv installed that old one... it shows me in the info its still the 8.0.0.238 version... so i kinda have no idea whats goin on... so like what do u suggest...?? i leave it running with whatever its running on at the moment... or move to the vista driver u just suggested...??
    Hey np.

What you explain isn't normal, if you have taken the drivers from the Acer site then after installing them it shouldn't say 8.0.0238 anymore since those are 7.6 I believe, in any case they are in the 7 range so it should say 7 ... are you sure you followed the steps exactly ?

Remember that if you have auto update enabled from windows and IF it downloads and installs the updates automatically it will every time download the 8 driver from Microsoft and install that over the one you installed eh ...
    In any case, after installing them correctly you should clearly see the correct version nr in device manager, which is not the 8 ...
    When you look at the details in device manager you should also see more option compared to the 8 series driver.
    I would just try simply deleting the device in device manager, then you can refresh the list with one of the buttons on top WHEN you have selected "<computer name>" in the top of the list. The device will be redetected but it's probably going to install again the same driver. You'll just have to play with it some. You can't break it so don't worry :-).

I have to add that while testing those drivers I said in my first post, for Vista, that I still had a sudden disconnect ...
    I'm still not sure why but I didn't like it so I also went and installed the Acer XP driver and it worked without problems I guess, it's all hard to say in such a short time, but I wanted to test more so I went back again to www atheros.cz and I downloaded the newest XP driver this time, the driver options are the same this time then the ones from the Acer site and I haven't had any problems with these either, and they're newer so I guess I'm good, still time will tell ...
    So I'd suggest to try the Acer driver or the XP driver from the site I said, but not the Vista driver.
    I do however expect Atheros to come up with a Win 7 driver so keep checking that I guess, because that's the one we need in fact ^^.

What Niagol said about Acer having changed the card so it only works with Acer driver is not true in my opinion, as Acer doesn't have the rights to change the hardware card from Atheros, it's just a piece they bought from Atheros which they integrated in our Netbook, it's not that it's only going to work with an Acer driver.

You could also try installing the driver in Safe mode, all the steps are exactly the same except that you first have to reboot pc and after bios screen you start pressing F8 and you choose safe mode. Then you follow instructions again, this might give you better luck with installing the driver you really want. And remember about the auto update, I never auto update automatically, I always run auto update manually and then I choose what I want to install. Gives a better overview of what Windows is actually installing for you.

About the ram, when I have everything closed except my virus scanner (NOD32 which is pretty light) it says 37% RAM in use, bear in mind I ony have 1GB in my Netbook.
    I consider that to be normal, if I open one Firefox window it goes to 42% and with a download program I use opened it goes to 49% ... it's about what I'd expect from this Aspire One with Win 7 running on it :-). I did tweak a few processes etc but that's personal.
    You could try and check what get's started up with your system by typing "msconfig" in Start -> run field. Then look at startup, there is always a lot of stuff not needed at startup tbh, if you don't know what to do you just look up the specific .exe name on the internet and it'll give you info for what it's for. For example, I disabled the 3 processes from Intel for the gfx card, as they are not needed, you can still right click afterwards the desktop and go to graphical properties etc. If something is not working afterwards as it should you can always go back to msconfig en reselect the things you deactivated.

Another thing which you can do in Start -> run field is type in "services.msc" and go throught the list, with the help of google you might find some services which you can disable which in turn also give back some memory etc.

About the screen flickering no idea what that is, just try and fix the correct driver first because as long as it says 8. ... you're not using the one you wanted.

If you want to install the latest gfx driver for your AOA150 for Windows 7 follow this link :
    h**p://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2301&DwnldID=18223&lang=eng

I did that and they are good. But no idea if it'll solve your problem, I suggest fixing all what I said here ;-). You'll learn more by playing around ^^

Hope it works, I'll come back from time to time to check up on this thread.
    Laterz.
    Last edited by RedruM-X; 16-01-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks

Still unsure but I had another weird connection loss and no idea why it happened.

Maybe there is some truth in what Niagol said anyway, although logicly it shouldn't. But maybe it's best to stick with the Acer XP driver, but it can't hurt to test ;-).

Thanks

hey dude... i put on the vista driver and it worked... as in it showed the right numbers in the properties... but it hung again... the whole pc froze again today... which hadnt been happening with the xp driver i had on for 3 days before that... so i think imma go back to that... but im a little confused... ur talkin about internet disconnections... im talking about the whole pc freezing causing me to have to do a hard shutdown thing with the power button... so like uhhh... are u having the same problem...??
    im gonna revert back to the xp i guess... tho i dont know what i had done before cuz it wasnt showing the right numbers but it was working fine... hmmmmm... guess we'l never know... lol
    as for the graphics driver... i think ill try to update that in a few days... and i think i have my updates set to ask and then download then ask before installing... so dont think thats really a prob...

but thanks alot for all the help so far... really appreciate it...
    and im planning on maxing out the ram on this machine to its 1.5gb... its 1gb at the moment... u think its worth it...?? i had read on some other forums that 5oomb does make a diff on these machines...??

Thanks

No my netbook never locks up so it's not the same problem but somewhere above you talked about disconnects also and that's what I had now and then.

I'm still looking into this problem as I've seen that many people are having the disconnect problem and apparently it could have something to do with TCP IP Task Offload but it's hard to discover as it doesn't happen that much.

I did get the following message in Eventvwr :

Name resolution for the name ... . ... . ... etc timed out after none

of the configured DNS servers responded

And this is what many people are having.

Still checking it out.

If your pc hangs that's really not normal, so just find the driver which doesn't do that for you and I wish you luck.

Thanks

hey redrum another question... i had asked earlier but u hadnt really replied on it... i wanted to upgrade the ram of the netbook from its current 1gb to its max 1.5gb capacity... now i know it had a built in 512mb which is 533mhz and so does the current 512mb card in it which is also 533mhz id imagine...
    now the problem is i cant seem to find any DDR2 ram which is 533mhz... iv only been able to find 667mhz ram... would that be a problem if i put it in... that the internal ram is 533 but the external is 667...?? or is it backwards compatible...??

Thanks
    • Aspire1's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel Atom N270 Dual Core @ 1.60Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 512mb onboard + 1GB Samsung PCS-5200
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Hitachi @ 7200rpm/16mb
      • Case:
      • AOA150, Black Shell
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi everybody!

I own two Aspire One 150's, one came with the 120GB HDD, the other with the 160GB option. On the 120GB netbook the network would randomly drop or disconnect, and often a complete shutdown was the only way to reset. I found the best driver to use was the original Acer XP driver (ver7.6.0.224), but to be able to install from the 'setup.exe' I had to set compatibility. In addition to running as an Administrator, I set compatibility to run in 'XP (SP3)' mode for all users. Its been running error free since October.

The newer 160 GB model (now upgraded to 500GB) has not been so easy. The 7.7.0.254 version wouldn't work. I tried the MS version 8.crap and I'd get BSOD everytime my network hit capacity. I went to h_t_t_p://w_w_w.atheros.cz and downloaded ver7.7.0.331 for Vista. The Wifi did not crash as often, but Kaspersky would detect any activity on the AR5007EG as a 'PDM.Invader' or 'Keylogging Incident'. I know the system to be clean and removing the driver fixed the problem. The network seemed unreliable as well.

I am currently using version xp 32/64 7.7.0.456 from atheros.cz and it seems to be more compatible. I had to install it manually, but it appears to be working.

To anyone experiencing lockups involving the desktop or taskbar updating your display drivers will fix this.

@DrunkFuX

I'm assuming it's an Aspire One you're upgrading, just make sure its PCS-5200 SODIMM2 and you'll be fine. I'm using a Samsung 1GB @ 667mhz and the extra boost is great!
    Last edited by Aspire1; 03-03-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks

I appologize for not dropping back to this conversation, I thought that the page would email me when someone commented. It did not

My problems were never really lock ups but more annoyingly was the network hangs and data corruption. I could download small files and have no issue, but in downloading larger files like zips and exes for install files (this was just after installing to Win7) the program would run fine to start installing then say that the package was corrupt or the installation files were corrupt and to download them again. Problem is any downloads with any driver other than the Acer supplied XP drivers caused this issue. I could download the same file on another computer and copy it via a flash drive and it would work fine. If I copied it across the network from computer to computer again it was corrupted. So any Zip or Exe file that went through my wireless adapter got screwed up. I figured this was eventually causing the network "hangs" as the browser would have to redownload that section or something.

I am currently using the 7.6.0.224 version provided by Atheros from the Acer site. The Windows 7 drivers that are installed by Microsoft dated October 2009 do not fix this issue, don't update to them. Also the newest driver I wanted was 8.0.0.238 so I could use connectify and the new Access Point mode of Windows 7, but unfortunately that would cause my downloads to corrupt so I'm looking at having to replace the card if I ever actually want to do that. Oh well I guess.

Hopefully this clarifies the problem and thanks for putting those instructions out there for DrunkFuX.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niagol View Post
    I appologize for not dropping back to this conversation, I thought that the page would email me when someone commented. It did not

My problems were never really lock ups but more annoyingly was the network hangs and data corruption. I could download small files and have no issue, but in downloading larger files like zips and exes for install files (this was just after installing to Win7) the program would run fine to start installing then say that the package was corrupt or the installation files were corrupt and to download them again. Problem is any downloads with any driver other than the Acer supplied XP drivers caused this issue. I could download the same file on another computer and copy it via a flash drive and it would work fine. If I copied it across the network from computer to computer again it was corrupted. So any Zip or Exe file that went through my wireless adapter got screwed up. I figured this was eventually causing the network "hangs" as the browser would have to redownload that section or something.

I am currently using the 7.6.0.224 version provided by Atheros from the Acer site. The Windows 7 drivers that are installed by Microsoft dated October 2009 do not fix this issue, don't update to them. Also the newest driver I wanted was 8.0.0.238 so I could use connectify and the new Access Point mode of Windows 7, but unfortunately that would cause my downloads to corrupt so I'm looking at having to replace the card if I ever actually want to do that. Oh well I guess.

Hopefully this clarifies the problem and thanks for putting those instructions out there for DrunkFuX.
    OK.. stumbled accross this thread whist thinking of upgrading the wife's netbook...

When I first got it her, wifi performance was awful and kept dropping out... solution - go into the wifi driver, and turn off power management. I would hazard a guess that something similar is happening if Win7 if Acer couldn't get it right in the default XP release.

Thread Information