Thread: RM Security

MurphmanL

RM Security

Is there any way of over-riding RM security in windows that is in place on school computers? I don't mind it, its just a pain as most sites are becoming blocked out by it rather than the grid, and eventually hexus will be as well

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    This thread has been removed by me while I raise the legality of the request with the Mod Team.

So far as I'm aware, what you're proposing is actually illegal and, if so, is certainly not something we can allow discussion of. I have preserved a copy of the thread and the answers to date, and if it turns out I'm wrong, it'll be returned. Otherwise .......

Thanks
    EDIT: sorry just read the post above, ill repost if it gets the ok with mods

m0.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m0dm0
    EDIT: sorry just read the post above, ill repost if it gets the ok with mods

m0.
    No need to repost it. If it gets the OK, I'll move the original thread back.

However, consider :-

Computer Misuse Act 1990

1.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure access to any program or data held in any computer;
    (b) the access he intends to secure is unauthorised; and
    (c) he knows at the time when he causes the computer to perform the function that that is the case.

That offence carries, on summary conviction, a sentence of up to 6 months in jail, a Level 5 fine (up to £5000 IIRC), or both. If you do ANYTHING that "causes a computer to perform any function" in that context, like simply trying to log on, and you fulfil the other criteria, it is a criminal offence.

So I have two concerns. One is that you could be dropping yourself in the poop, and the other is the effect on Hexus if methods of what is effectively committing a criminal offence are discussed here. And that's not even considering your chances of getting yourself booted out of the school if you get caught.

I'm no lawyer, but I've read a fair few articles on the way that particular piece of legislation is likely to be interpreted, and considering that it was explicitly targetted at hackers, then "bypassing security" would seem to qualify nicely. Whether it would actually be used against you in practice is another matter (probably not), but it seems to me that it COULD be.

You feeling lucky today?

Thanks
    I agree there - Hexus will not and cannot be held responsible for acts which could potentially jeopardize your school career.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information