Thread: how to connect xp and vista for lan sharing

Thanks

Exclamation how to connect xp and vista for lan sharing

i have a desktop (XP home sp3 32bit) which has a modem and router connected (by lan). And i have a laptop Vista 32 bit sp2 which is connected by the router.

How can i send files from the xp desktop to the laptop wirelessly. through the router. (by file sharing)

Can someone give me exact instructions?

I looked online, but theres different ways that i dont know how to complete.

Splash

Re: how to connect xp and vista for lan sharing

Make sure that both machines are in the same workgroup, then make sure you have exceptions in your firewalls on both machines for file and printer sharing. Create a share on one or both machines by specifying a folder, then right click>sharing. It should be plain sailing from there.

Thanks

both machines are using norton 360 v4, how do i make exceptions in my firewalls on both machines for file and printer sharing?

After i make a sharing folder on one comp, how do i get the other to be able to see the files?

Thanks

ok i set full permission, and from both computer and laptop i can see the files, but theres some problems

from the laptop, when i copy a movie for example, from the networks area, its really slow like 47kbps, and also a sorta unrelated question, the laptop keeps disconnecting, as if there is wireless interference.

i am using wrt160n lynksys router.

also when i try copying a file , from the xp to the sharing folder in xp, it works, but when i copy a large file like a movie, it goes like 0.4% complete or 2% complete and then gives the error, the network name cannot be found.

Is it possible that this is uploading to the web and then downloading to the laptop which explains why the transfer is slow?
    Last edited by sneaky; 08-09-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Thanks

It sounds like a wireless issue, how far are you from the wireless access point? I doubt that you are copying to the web and then down again.
    Try and connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable to the router and do a test copy. Try the free version of Teracopy which will give you more accurate copying speeds.

Thread Information