Thread: Help - Connection keeps dropping out!

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Help - Connection keeps dropping out!

Hi,

hope you guys can help. My internet connection (Virgin 20Mb) is really erratic of late. I have noticed it doing this a few times recently but today it is just unbearable, only staying online in 2 or 3 minutes bursts at a time. It will often come back on its own before long or if I go into network connections it will sometimes allow me to reconnect from there.
    I have done the usual 'IT fix' of powering down both the modem, router and PC but it has no effect. It is a Netgear WGR614 router.
    Also it happens on my flatmate's laptop at the same times so pretty confident it is not anything to do with my PC. Both are connected thru Wi-Fi.
    I have an old XP machine connected to the router via ethernet but I'm just waiting for it to boot up as its slow as hell. Will let you know if this works.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention I called virgin and asked them to send me their home hub thingy but that may not get to me before new year and I'm hoping to have the use of the net during the holidays.
    Last edited by george1979; 21-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Re: Help - Connection keeps dropping out!

just checked an the ethernet connected unit seems fine so it looks like the wireless part of the router is goosed?
    Need to find that extra long ethernet cable i put away....

Thanks

I've had this problem end of Nov/start of Dec, Virgin service status page didn't identify issues I was having, random & constant disconnections. Eventually it fixed itself, but I still get disconnections a few times that it's not a concern.

I suggest you check out the following info at the Virgin forums

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ges/td-p/43765

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ER/td-p/148068

I'm not sure if I have a Netgear router similar to you, but you might also want to try restarting your router & or modem, leave it off for 30 seconds before powering back on to update firmware (if it's a Virgin device) and if it has a digital noise filter attachment connected to the back of it,
    try using the net without it & check you upstream & downstream levels afterwards if it has helped you optimise the numbers for your connection. Even if your levels are optimal, if you still have problems it's something else.

I'm not qualified to give you solid advice apart from the web links, this is just what I've read & done. Hope this helps.

https://my.virginmedia.com/service-status/details

4. Received thanks from:

george1979 (22-12-2010)

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Thanks for that. I looked at those pages but can't really see what I'm supposed to be doing tbh. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this stuff. When you had this problem could you still connect thru Ethernet?
    If it was an issue with the modem would it not affect all connections, wireless or cabled?

Thanks

First go here

http://192.168.100.1/

Enter root for both user name and password, once in, look at the pages on the left side, for example, click on upstream look at the results/values & compare them to that from this FAQ guide

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ER/td-p/148068

If your values are within optimal range then it's nothing to do with you, but probably from Virgins side. You may want to check the Event log on the left hand side & see if there are any issues that relate to the ocassions that you get cut off.

In my house there are several pcs and laptops connected wired & wireless to router & it affected every user in the house. Eventually the problem went away after 2 weeks or so, I also recommend registering & posting on the Virgin forums your values from that modem config web page for staff/technical person to see if they can help, average response time to a thread/post is 3 days, but with Christmas approaching & similar connection drop out threads in the forum I doubt you will get a response (unless you bump your thread back up), but I still recommend it as someone from Virgin might be able to fix it for you from their side or arrange an engineer to have a look.

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

yeah I checked that and the values seem fine.
    Like I say though it only affects wireless connections - thru ethernet on the same router it is fine so that's why I'm thinking the wi-fi connection on the router is faulty.
    I'll connect thru ethernet until the deliver their Media Hub.
    Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

Silly question possibly, but if it is only affecting the wireless link, has something been put in place recenetly that might be blocking the wireless signal (trees, lights, decorations, to name but a few possibilities)? Also, check the antenna connection & alignment if possible.

Thanks

Aye Christmas tree lights notorious as are TV's , electrical stuff- Microwave's etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    Hi,

hope you guys can help. My internet connection (Virgin 20Mb) is really erratic of late. I have noticed it doing this a few times recently but today it is just unbearable, only staying online in 2 or 3 minutes bursts at a time. It will often come back on its own before long or if I go into network connections it will sometimes allow me to reconnect from there.
    I have done the usual 'IT fix' of powering down both the modem, router and PC but it has no effect. It is a Netgear WGR614 router.
    Also it happens on my flatmate's laptop at the same times so pretty confident it is not anything to do with my PC. Both are connected thru Wi-Fi.
    I have an old XP machine connected to the router via ethernet but I'm just waiting for it to boot up as its slow as hell. Will let you know if this works.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

thanks

EDIT: forgot to mention I called virgin and asked them to send me their home hub thingy but that may not get to me before new year and I'm hoping to have the use of the net during the holidays.
    Welcome to the club!

I'm connected via ETHERNET... not wireless.... on VM 20mb package.... I have had problems since I signed up 2 months ago, but 1 month ago it became unplayable....

The short answer, Virgin Media is really REALLY bad for a lot of people... some people are happy, other people, like me and yourself, are pissed!

Here is a link to a thread on their community forums I made, you can see that I have been jerked around for a month without any fix. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../251405#M50165

They sent an engineer, he said everything was fine and left without doing anything.... Everything wasn't fine obviously but I can't force the guy to change his mind and do something can I?

So I wrote and complained some more, now they say that there are too many errors/disconnects, obviously!

I cannot play World of Warcraft for more than 5 minutes, I cannot stream videos, It's very bad bro.

Registered+
    Thanks

Have you been able to resolve you issue?

I just wanted to check what kind of modem you have? Some of the older ones aren't really designed for the new operating speeds and would suggest that you have them upgrade your modem?

Thread Information