Thread: WinNT network problem

Thanks

WinNT network problem

Any advice appriciated on this matter.

I'm helping to add another computer to a existing network but I've run into some difficulties

I am adding a WinXP Pro computer to a WinNT 4.5 server which currently has another 8 WinXP pro computers connected to it.
    I started off by giving this workstation the correct IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and both DNS servers.
    I then went onto the WinNT server and went into user manager for domains.
    Added a new user called "SP", assigned the PW and chose some pw options.
    Then after confirming the e-mail address Exchange creates is correct I went to server manager and went to "add to domain", added it as Win NT workstation and typed in the name of the computer "SPARE"

Back on the workstaion I went to right click My Comp, properties, computer name, network ID, selected that this PC is part of a business network, my company uses a network with a domain, then typed in the user and PW I entered on the WinNT server and the domain.

Then I click next, it then says windows cannot find the account for this computer on the domain and asks me to enter the computer name and computer domain again. Then I get the error "The network path could not be found"

Strange thing is though, is that I can browse the internet fine, which goes through the server, but I can't ping the server from this workstation to the server.

Any advice about this problem?

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain IFAMS.CO.UK:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.IFAMS.CO.UK

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

IFAMS.CO.UK
    CO.UK
    UK
    . (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

That is the exact error msg
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Mm.

Well you shouldnt need to use User Manager for Domains when your setting up a new PC on the domain. User manager is for setting up people that are going to log on to a workstation that is already a member of a domain, not for adding a PC to a domain. Server manager is for that and i see you have already added it as a Windows NT 5.1 workstation.

Quote Originally Posted by Furton
    Back on the workstaion I went to right click My Comp, properties, computer name, network ID, selected that this PC is part of a business network, my company uses a network with a domain, then typed in the user and PW I entered on the WinNT server and the domain.
    When you get to the screen where you have to type in a username password and domain name you need to enter the domain "Administrator" username and password there (or that of any other administrator account, EG Admin2) and the domain name (without any .co.uk or anything) e.g

Username: Administrator
    Password: ThePassword
    Domain: IFAMS

or whatever your ones are. If youve entered thecorrect data here it should pop up a box saying "welcome to the IFAMS domain" or whatever your domain is called.

See if that helps.

Butuz

Thread Information