Thread: Heads up on Wireless ?

Thanks

Heads up on Wireless ?

I have to setup access from one building to another and think wireless is the way to go but don't know enough about it, especially choosing kit.

Scenario:
    Two buildings approx 30-40m apart running cable not possible. Main building houses network with about 6 PC's and ADSL connection. The main building has a window facing the small building if that helps, the small building has no windows.

Needed:
    Need to connect one PC from the small building to the network resources (Web not needed) in the main building. Also need to be sure of the security, but could this be done by just turning off the WiFi router when not in use ? - or could that cause problems ?

What I need to know really is if WiFi is a viable option for this, will the range be OK etc. as it needs to be spot on. If not can something be done i.e. booster transmitters or something, obviously don't want to spend too much if possible as it's only one PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    Hms, actually I'm not that sure about it but I guess you'll have a answer here pretty soon . Well, there are some wireless D-link stuff that should be reaching that much if the antenna is outside..or something?..can't you look at some websites? I should say something there..how long it reach etc.

like: http://www.dlink.com/.

Now, I know some people have had some problem using D-link..I know that, but still I think they're worth a try. I once saw a thread here at hexus about wireless, why don't you check that up?

In case you don't wanna sit here all day scanning hexus..maybe you could go to view all my posts I know I wrote something there about D-link..it's called something with wireless..it's worth a try?

Good Luck mate!
    Love, Peace and Linux

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Well, some kind of Wireless bridge would be in order. Something like the Buffalo Wireless Airstation 54g would do the job. Get a pair of them, set them up into Dedicated Bridge mode and you have a pretty secure bridge. You can get ok speeds over 30 - 40m. For added security you could use WEP or some of the more advanced encryption methods like TKIP or AES (which are offered by the Airstation) They are very temporamental about line of sight though and some kind of antenna would be advised. Good idea would be to make your own antenna, mount it on the outside of the small building and point toward the other building, at the window, where the other airstation should be.
    This will give you pretty good connectiong and wouldnt cost a bomb, it would be somewhere over £100 though.

If you do have more money you could get the new US Robotics 108Mbit Access Point, this has a pair of antennas and broadcasting "lanes" (thats what i call em anyway!) so you can effectivley get 108Mbits, which is "better" than wired. Ofcourse this does depend on distance and environment but you are still going to get a good signal.
    PM me if you want some more info if your interested, i've got a similar set up and I can tell ya it works great.
    Hope its helpful

Thanks
    How thick sare the walls in the smaller building? You should be okay if you have direct line of sight and the window in the large building should be okay for this, but if it's a thick wall in the other building you'll have problems. I can't get 30ft here from my room to my study through a thick once-external stone wall.

Thanks
    Do both sites have internet access from their own buildings? If so i would look at a internet vpn type tunnel. Far more secure than wireless and less chance of interference / signal drops etc.

I guess it depends on your needs buts thats how we did it when we linked up my mates house to his small office 50 metres away.

Thanks
    Cheers for the responses...

I did think about the idea of the VPN over and ADSL line however they don't need Web access there, and there is no phone line so the ongoing costs would exclude it.

I think you're right it's a wireless bridge i'm after, the only problem is going to be getting through the external walls of the small building. If it proves to be a problem do any of the kit take an external antenna, i.e. that could be mounted on the outside of the building for line of sight ?

I'll have a proper look around at the Buffalo and 3Com stuff this weekend...

Cheers guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    It probably would be a problem getting the signal through the walls of the small building, some external antenna would be in order.
    You can either buy a special outdoor one, iirc most a pretty expensive or you could cook one up yourself, for example only using a can from meatballs or something (they are pretty chunky cans) and then fixing an antenna at a specific point inside. This is a cheap option and it yeilds good results.

Thread Information