Thread: Best Linux for Microserver N40L

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Best Linux for Microserver N40L

I'm currently running FreeNAS on my Microserver. It's great and does a fab job but I need a tad more flexibility in terms of programs I can install so was looking at putting on a Linux. I need to be able to run Logitech Media Server and a DLNA/ media serving app. Apart from that there's no restrictions. It must run smoothly with no hiccups though! What Linux would you recommend? Ubuntu? Mint?

I upgraded the memory to 8Gb if that's a factor.

Thanks.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

Re: Best Linux for Microserver N40L

For a server, I wouldn't use desktop-oriented distro with a GUI; it adds unnecessary overheads and you'd have to open a terminal for the vast majority of server software anyway. I personally use Debian, but Ubuntu server is similar; Debian is oriented more towards stability/tried+tested software versions while Ubuntu adopts new features more quickly. However, they're very similar to use, unlike Fedora+the RHEL family for example, which go about things slightly differently, so if you're learning I'd pick one family and stick to it for a while.

Once you have it installed you can set up SSH to log in remotely so the server can run headless.

Thread Information