Thread: Bluetooth Woes

MurphmanL

Bluetooth Woes

I have just got my hands on a new mobile phone on vodafone anytime 200 contract, and since it has a lack of usb connectivity, ive had to get a bluetooth dongle.
    I went into vodafone and saw their ridiculously overpriced dongle for £50 inc phone software, and for only 10m, it was ridicule. But nonetheless, i decided to play safe and get the vodafone approved one. Now i have it home and all set up, its as slow as hell
    Transferring a 1mb ogg file takes more than 2 minutes and if i even hope of tranferring 80mb ish movies i'd better think about getting some coffee for some boring, late nights watching the picture of the file to phone transfer image

Is there anything i may have missed during setup, anything i can change to make things quicker?? If this is normal speed then this is ridiculous, if not, maybe the dongle's a faulty one?
    Since bluetooth powers GPRS multiplayer on ngage, i cant believe its this slow
    Any help?

Thanks
    What phone do you have? If you have it connected using a 'virtual serial port' as may be the case then yes, it will be sloooooow.

MurphmanL
    I have a Nokia 6600, which im now finding to be having playback problems with smartmovie videos

Thanks
    Not used a 6600 with bluetooth but I think you should be able to use OBEX file transfer with that one and it should be a bit quicker but don't go expecting miracles. Not sure the max speed of my P900 file transfer over bluetooth. Best thing may be a compactflash reader for your computer.

Thanks
    From rooting about a bit 22k/s seems pretty much the speed most people are getting out of file transfers over Bluetooth to the 6600. That works out about a meg a min and I think it's limited by the speed the phone can access its own memory or the memory card. Again a card reader for your PC should remove this bottleneck.

MurphmanL
    Ah man that sucks!
    How much are mmc pc readers?

Thanks
    You can get one for anything from £5 upwards from Ebuyer but you'll probably get stung as much again for postage. There was a thread in bargain hunt a while back with places that do free postage. May be worth looking there to negate the cost of pnp?

MurphmanL
    I cant believe nobody has replied saying they have a 6600
    Unfortunately, i gotta buy retail as always guys

Thread Information