Thread: Powerline Adapter/Home Plugs

Thanks

Powerline Adapter/Home Plugs

I have replaced my netgear xav2001 with Netgear XAVB5201 500 Powerline Adapter. The was due to last week when I did a speedtest on speetest . net and on thinkbroadband, both gave me readings of 15.23Mbps and then yesterday were at no more than 6Mbps. So ordered the XAVB5201 500 last night and they arrived today, plugged them in around midday and my speeds were back to 18-20Mbps (i'm with VM and the line is 20mb) When I then go home from work I did another test and the speed wont go above 15.33Mbps (speedtest . net), and on thinkbroadband it was an avg 18Mbps it said on the httpx6. Now the pc downstairs connected directly to a router is fine with 20 ish Mbps.

The connection to my room is this: modem > router > powerline adapter > 2nd powerline adapter > swtich > my pc. Now I have tried it by taking the switch out- no difference really. I have also with the old ones tried it on my laptop same slower speeds. I also plugged my laptop directly into the cable from the router and speed was 20 ish Mbps.

So all I can determine is its either the powerline adapters, or the wiring. Now with this heat would that affect wiring or the powerline adapters ? It odd as when I got the new pair I did 10 tests and all the speeds were 18-20Mbps on two different sites. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Powerline Adapter/Home Plugs

Just did two more tests and speedtest . net is showing 12.98Mbps which is the same speed the last ones were showing, before going down to 6Mbps yesterday.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

I've not any issues with my powerline adapters in this recent heat. In fact the speedtest I just did is the fastest I've seen and that's over powerline adapters that are running on gangways

But as you have tested yourself you have shown that it must either be the powerline adapter or the wiring. Have you ever had it working perfectly? If not then you might just be in one of the unlucky situation of having wiring in the house that just doesn't play nice with the adapters?

Thanks

Yes for a long time with the old ones the speed was always between 17-21Mbps, unless I downloaded a game and was traffic managed. So this is confusing.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Is there anything electrical in the house that can be causing interference?

Washing machine, tumble dryer, aircon. ISTR stuff with motors can cause interfering spikes on the mains. Perhaps even desk fans, which is related to this heat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Is there anything electrical in the house that can be causing interference?

Washing machine, tumble dryer, aircon. ISTR stuff with motors can cause interfering spikes on the mains. Perhaps even desk fans, which is related to this heat
    Nothing new has been added which makes it even more odd. My sisters are moved home, but she only had a few things plugged in (phone charge, hair dryer etc) I unplugged those and tried a test but no improvement. Just did another test now at the speed was 11.09Mbps. Its starting to drive me a bit insane not being able to figure out the cause, as I have tried everything else. The only thing left is the house wires, but I would have expected other electrical devices to have some effect. I know because of the distance from the router would cause some speed loss, but as I said it never used to dip below 17Mbps. I did think it maybe due to the amount of people online earlier, but would have thought by now my speed should be increasing.

Thanks

This is the result this morning:

To say i'm confused is an understatement :| I cant get my head around how putting new adapters gave me the old 17-20Mbps speeds at midday yesterday, and then I get home and they drop I just don't understand. And my upload and ping stay more less in that range, just the download speed that changes.
    Last edited by AledJ; 19-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks

Still not right but better result. But I know this will change when I test it next.

Thanks

Lots of things can cause speed variations on BB. I don't think that your adapters are faulty and what i would do is take 'my pc' down stairs and stick it on there for a period and keep to one test site for your testing. Also checking at different times can give different results. Then if ok take the adapter down the stairs as well and retry. Although nothing electrical has been added something on the 'socket ring' upstairs may have gone faulty. If your sure other pc's are ok downstair then 'prove' your stuff ok downstairs as well. Keep things simple, good luck.

P.s. I have got a similar fault on my bb which I must get round to having a look for , as i'm losing about 10 gb somewhere in my set-up. I have recently also added a couple of adapters to connect the sky box to the hub for this 'catch up ' stuff so in my case it maybe something to do with that, time will tell.

Thread Information